Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-29-2016, 09:17 PM   #1

Exclamation Mark noise when shifting lower gears

1500 Nomad 2003 when I first start my bike it shifts second and third ok but if I am in any gear and I give it a lot of throttle it acts as if it is shifting in passing gear like in a car. It will not do this when it is warmed up. Also when warmed up going from first to second and third it makes a sound like it is grinding gears. The only way I can go from first to second is when I go from first to second, to pull the clutch in when I hit neutral and let it go then pull it in again and no noise when it goes in gear. When I go to third pull the clutch in and pop the throttle and then it goes in gear quiet. The rest of the gears, no problem and down shifts all go in good. It is driving me nuts trying to determine exactly if it is clutch or what. It does not seem to be slipping.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-30-2016, 04:19 AM   #2

One thing you want to do is be very very careful with this 1-2 shift.

The 1-2 shift fork has a tendency to bend if the shift is forced.

Once the shift fork is bent, there is no fixing it, it has to be replaced.

First and second gear are on one shaft and third through fifth are on the second shaft.

When you go from first to second you go through neutral so a slightly firmer shift is required to make the change smoothly.

MT
VBA 936

Old 06-30-2016, 08:56 AM   #3

Shifting in passing gear: if I understand this description correctly, I would venture to guess your clutch is slipping. Why would be the question. Weak diaphragm spring? Not all that uncommon even in lowish mileage bikes (25-30k). Many bikes go 70k with no issues, so I've read. It doesn't seem likely (to my feeble mind haha) that your cluch plates have worn enough to warrant replacement but who knows. Not knowing the history of the bike and how hard it was flogged makes this an issue you can't rule out until you pull and mic them. It could be hydraulic related. Search this forum for key phrases like "clutch problem" or "clutch slipping" etc. If you have solid basic mechanical skills and are reasonably intelligent enough to know what you don't know, you could address the problem with the help of the forum. Lots of knowledge here.

1-2 shift grinds: characteristic of the Vulcan family. I don't think I've ever heard of the 2-3 shift grinding but upon researching the bikes when I was shopping for one, I learned the 1-2 will grind rather easily unless you use the proper technique. Preload the shifter with your heel (or toe). As you just begin to squeeze the clutch lever, slowly roll off the throttle while snicking the shifter into 2nd. It's a timing thing. You have to develop a feel for it. You will know when you nail it because it will feel soooo gratifying LOL!

Old 06-30-2016, 09:30 PM   #4
Advanced Member

And make sure your speed is right mine likes to be around 25mph when going to 2nd gear.
Mine gets a little flaky the closer I am to an oil change.
Mustang seat and fender bib
Avon Venom tires
2 right side Harley mufflers the quiet side.
TFI fuel control
Progressive 430 shocks 430-4213B (Best Mod to the bike I've made)
Progressive fork springs (See Above)
Kuryakyn grips
A touch of chrome farkles
Reckless fairing color match 2 tone paint.
Kenwood deck with Polk 5 1/4" speakers.

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now

Old 06-30-2016, 11:36 PM   #5

One thing that I found for 1st to 2nd gear shifts is using the toe shifter instead of the heel shifter makes a lot smoother shifts. Which really disappoints me cuz I prefer using the heel shifter...doesn't ruin my boots. But rather scuff my boots than bend a shifter fork!

VBA# 02595
2004 Nomad VN1500L5 FI
1999 HD Superglide Sport (SOLD)
2009 BMW F650GS

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by toogun View Post
One thing that I found for 1st to 2nd gear shifts is using the toe shifter instead of the heel shifter makes a lot smoother shifts. Which really disappoints me cuz I prefer using the heel shifter...doesn't ruin my boots. But rather scuff my boots than bend a shifter fork!
Funny you should find that. I have been heel shifting since the bike was new in 2008 and it shifts smooth as butter. I was always toe shifting since my dirt bike days but the dealer told me these bikes shift better with the heel, and since getting used to it, I got to say he is right. I guess it is all a matter of getting used to the feel. I suspect some guys tromp on the heel shifter like they are trying to kill a small rodent and that's probably where the bent shifter fork trouble starts.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-01-2016, 11:06 AM   #7

Different strokes... I do not like the heel shifter, I found I was too rash shifting and sometimes hit it accidentally.
Took it off my Nad, my current, 09 Voyager, the heel and toe are far enough apart that I don't even realize it's there.....Mike

Old 07-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #8

I have taken my heel shift off also. My big feet and cowboy boots just dont fit on the foot rest without hitting the heel shift. I just changed all the fluid in the clutch lines today, dont think the previous owner ever did. Also blew out the two holes in the area that holds the fluid. No difference.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostnavigator View Post
I have taken my heel shift off also. My big feet and cowboy boots just dont fit on the foot rest without hitting the heel shift. I just changed all the fluid in the clutch lines today, dont think the previous owner ever did. Also blew out the two holes in the area that holds the fluid. No difference.
I had Joe Norris "Chuckster's" modify my shifter and brake arms for more room on my Voyager. He did a great job and is very easy to work with

http://www.chucksterscustoms.com/

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625