Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-29-2016, 03:11 PM   #31
Advanced Member

For those who are experiencing high/surging idle, hard starting when hot, and pinging you really need to investigate air leaks in the intake system. This is a known issue with the 1700, and may well be amplified by Ivan's flash.
There are 4 places it can leak, most common is between the throttle body and manifold (Thunder makes a gasket for this), the two little rubber plugs on top of the throttle body could be cracked, the rubber seals at the injectors could leak, and the seals between the manifold and heads can leak.
I had high idle, hard starting when hot and pinging when I first installed Ivan's flash but after disassembling everything, adding the gasket, replacing the plugs and injector seals, and I used Hylomar to seal the manifold to the heads...... all those symptoms disappeared.
Continuing to run your engine with an intake air leak can cause expensive repairs down the road, mainly burned valves and seats and other things resulting from overheating and pre ignition.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-29-2016, 04:09 PM   #32
Advanced Member

after the flash on hot starts, do not touch the throttle just hit the starter button and let the motor come to life on it's own. I have no regrets getting this flash done and as mentioned, the only thing I wished for was that I could have done it sooner. I think I was either the first or possibly second member to have this done.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:53 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanD View Post
I just completed a 2500 mile trip, the second stop of which was a visit to Ivan's shop to get the upgrade. I am pleased. The bike has a LOT more power, just as Ivan's dyno sheets suggest. Decel popping and backfiring are gone. My bike is stock except for RACNRAY's throttle mod. The herky jerky has not improved---it actually seems worse. Perhaps I just need to adjust my throttle.

I have had pinging three times. The first two occurred when dropping down from 6th to 5th at about 55 and gunning it to pass. The first time that occurred I had 90 octane, so I thought maybe I just needed higher octane fuel. The second time I had 91 octane (hard to find 93 on the back roads). The third time it occurred when I twisted the throttle in 5th pretty hard going up a hill, and that was with 93 octane. So it appears that pinging can occur even without a new air box and even with high octane fuel. I may get back to Ivan with whether I want to tweak it. I will say that this only occurred when the bike had been running a long time and it was hot. Don't know the relevance, but that's when it happened.

I choose to stick with stock pipes and air. I can't imagine that this is much of a restriction up through 5th at normal fast acceleration, as it is now wayyyy faster getting up to speed. I do sense that it may be a restriction in 6th. When I try to accelerate hard at, say, 65, it goes faster than it did, but I feel like it wants to swallow more air than is available. Ivan says air is also a restriction at higher RPMs.

Like JD Hog, my gas mileage seems a bit higher when I ride gently. On the flat heading east with a slight tailwind, I got about 44 mpg, a bit higher (2 mpg) than my previous best. That was running between 62 and 65 (actual) in 6th. MPG gies down significantly for me above 70. Wind has a big effect, so the comparisons are hard.

I'm glad I did it. I'm not a speed demon at all, but I like the bike to perform, and it does. I'll have to see about the pinging though.
Seeing how pinging is a hot subject now thought I'd throw in my experience. I live in NJ and brought my bike to Ivan directly. I am totally stock and have always used Premium albeit 92. I fill up at WAWA 95% of the time which is a gas/sandwich chain here in NJ like Sheetz or Quick Trip. After completing the flash Ivan took it for a short ride and said it was pinging on full throttle (which I had never heard before then again I rarely open it up full). He suggested strongly that I did not have full premium and to change brands or find a true 93 octane. When I rode it home I opened it up and heard no pinging. I ran the tank down low and filled it at Sunoco with 93 and heard no pinging. Bottom line is I went back to my WAWA and have never heard it ping and hopefully never will. Ivan told me if I wasn't happy or had problems he would be happy to tweek me but so far I really don't see the need.
2002 Honda 750 A.C.E. (gone)
SCRC 2nd Officer Central Jersey Chapter

Old 06-30-2016, 03:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
For those who are experiencing high/surging idle, hard starting when hot, and pinging you really need to investigate air leaks in the intake system. This is a known issue with the 1700, and may well be amplified by Ivan's flash.
There are 4 places it can leak, most common is between the throttle body and manifold (Thunder makes a gasket for this), the two little rubber plugs on top of the throttle body could be cracked, the rubber seals at the injectors could leak, and the seals between the manifold and heads can leak.
I had high idle, hard starting when hot and pinging when I first installed Ivan's flash but after disassembling everything, adding the gasket, replacing the plugs and injector seals, and I used Hylomar to seal the manifold to the heads...... all those symptoms disappeared.
Continuing to run your engine with an intake air leak can cause expensive repairs down the road, mainly burned valves and seats and other things resulting from overheating and pre ignition.
I have been having exactly the leaks you described and looked into it some more. There is a noticeable difference when it is correctly sorted out. I am gonna keep my eye on it for a bit. Thanks for sharing your experiences as it helped my bike run a bit better
-ECU Ivanized
-Clearview medium with recurve

Old 06-30-2016, 03:57 PM   #35

Forgot to say, I have zero regrets with the flash. I have noticed a huge improvement over all. The only thing I would have done differently is install each mod/upgrade separately so little issues like the intake leak would have been easier to catch.
-ECU Ivanized
-Clearview medium with recurve

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-30-2016, 06:23 PM   #36

Greetings,
Now, being fortunate enough to have two Vaqueros side-by-side (2012 and 2015) I can say this: Man what a difference!
Yes, the 2015 has 50 miles on it and is not loose yet.
Yes, the 2012 has a little bit better breathing, RacnRay throttle mod, etc.
But holy-cow, a side-by-side comparison is absolutely possible.
Performance increase and responsiveness - Check for IVAN.
Running Temperature lower and more steady - Check for IVAN
I had ZERO regrets before this little comparison, but having this luxury only drives the point home! I'll spend a LOT less money on Vaq #2 addressing these issues than I did on Vaq #1!

Old 07-01-2016, 07:17 AM   #37
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Greetings,
Now, being fortunate enough to have two Vaqueros side-by-side (2012 and 2015) I can say this: Man what a difference!
Yes, the 2015 has 50 miles on it and is not loose yet.
Yes, the 2012 has a little bit better breathing, RacnRay throttle mod, etc.
But holy-cow, a side-by-side comparison is absolutely possible.
Performance increase and responsiveness - Check for IVAN.
Running Temperature lower and more steady - Check for IVAN
I had ZERO regrets before this little comparison, but having this luxury only drives the point home! I'll spend a LOT less money on Vaq #2 addressing these issues than I did on Vaq #1!
I have had the same opportunity. I work on my buddy's bikes all the time , niether are Ivanized. A Vaq and a Voyager. I cannot believe the difference in smoothness and power delivery. I wish Ivan was doing the flash before I spent countless hours fooling with the EJK and PCV.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:40 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
I have had the same opportunity. I work on my buddy's bikes all the time , niether are Ivanized. A Vaq and a Voyager. I cannot believe the difference in smoothness and power delivery. I wish Ivan was doing the flash before I spent countless hours fooling with the EJK and PCV.
Ken admit it you love tinkering with your bike. It gives you purpose in life...lol Hope all is going well.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 07-01-2016, 04:50 PM   #39

Quote:
For the only semi-mechanically-inclined among us, any recommendations on how to investigate for potential leaks? I Chang my oil and filter, install electrical gadgets, and adjust my belt, but when it comes to the engine, I'm pretty dumb. I'm not really sure where to start. Would a dealer be the best bet?

Old 07-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #40

Circumstances this year have largely eliminated my riding I'm afraid but I did take the opportunity to send my ECU in, and so far every time I have gotten the chance to ride since the WOW factor hits me on just how nice the bike runs. No issues other than the bit of surging when I first start it up but it settles down within a minute.
VBA #01806
Central IL Vulcan Riders

Old 07-02-2016, 04:50 PM   #41
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanD View Post
For the only semi-mechanically-inclined among us, any recommendations on how to investigate for potential leaks? I Chang my oil and filter, install electrical gadgets, and adjust my belt, but when it comes to the engine, I'm pretty dumb. I'm not really sure where to start. Would a dealer be the best bet?
Remove both the right and left airboxes to expose the intake manifold and throttle body. With the engine warm and running at idle, spray some brake cleaner or parts cleaner or WD40 at all the areas I mentioned. If the engine revs up then it is inhaling that extra flammable fuel through an air leak.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:16 PM   #42

I finally had the chance to put my Ivanized ECU back in the bike today. It did do the surging a little on warmup but not bad at all. My bike is completely stock and has about 500 miles. I did a short test ride and at first I didn't notice much difference. However, it really is nice the way it will rev up now. So smooth and the throttle response was great. I was getting on the interstate and was doing 80 mph before getting to the end of the ramp and I wasn't even pushing it that hard...definitely not WOT. Very happy with my decision to send Ivan my ECU.

Now that I have a taller windshield I'm going to have to figure out how to stop that plastic strip on the gas tank from vibrating.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:14 PM   #43

Quote:
Remove both the right and left airboxes to expose the intake manifold and throttle body. With the engine warm and running at idle, spray some brake cleaner or parts cleaner or WD40 at all the areas I mentioned. If the engine revs up then it is inhaling that extra flammable fuel through an air leak.
Thanks Garry

Old 07-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #44

I finally had the chance to ride my bike for about an hour since installing my Ivanized ECU. Man what a difference. Getting on the throttle is so much fun now. It is incredible how the engine revs now. It is also great just cruising around. I can cruise at 60mph in 6th gear and it runs so smooth. You can just let your mind wander and enjoy the ride. If anyone is thinking about it I would encourage you to do it.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsilver1968 View Post
I finally had the chance to ride my bike for about an hour since installing my Ivanized ECU. Man what a difference. Getting on the throttle is so much fun now. It is incredible how the engine revs now. It is also great just cruising around. I can cruise at 60mph in 6th gear and it runs so smooth. You can just let your mind wander and enjoy the ride. If anyone is thinking about it I would encourage you to do it.
Geeked. Mine just arrived at his shop this morning.

Tags
ecu, ivan