Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 07-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #16

Deer Whistles

If you blow air through them they make a high pitched sound. I put a pair on my Nomad to make my wife feel more comfortable when riding with me after a couple we were riding with hit a deer. My wife feels safer so they work for me!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-27-2009, 07:54 PM   #17
Advanced Member

Deer Whistles

I got a set of chrome whistles as a gift and have yet to put them on. I can't see them working on a bike. I think my motor will scare them off first. I installed my Stebel a couple weeks ago and the other day I was entering a blind curve and a doe was just standing in my lane about 25 yards ahead. I hit that Stebel and she locked in the hubs and got the hell off the road quick, didn't even have to brake.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #18

Deer Whistles

Ive seen a lot of people here have them also, but I don't put any faith in them at all. I just keep a close eye out for them when Im in a area where they frequent playing in traffic.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-27-2009, 11:00 PM   #19
Mega-Contributor

Deer Whistles

The lucky nickel I keep in my pocket protects me from deer and werewolves.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Deer Whistles

When traveling to Custer with CJ he'd whistle at every deer we passed?! Asked me if I've ever seen a deer dressed up in women's clothing before!!????? WTF???!!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-28-2009, 06:38 AM   #21
VBA Founder

Deer Whistles

So....CactusJack is attracted to venison? Kinky, but rewarding at times, I'm sure.

Well, my exploits with deer on a motorcycle are more than I really want to share sometimes. I consider myself lucky.....I've had deer jump out and run parallel to my left and then jump into the woods. I've had deer dart out in front of me (many occasions) causing me to slam on the brakes and veer to the left or right.... and I've had deer run up next to me on my right and jump over me with nothing to show for it but a hoof scratch on my helmet http://www.hilliard.ws/kawasaki.htm ......but I haven't hit one...yet, thank goodness.

I attribute that to keeping a watchful eye on the road ahead of me at all times and always holding the thought that a deer (or any other animal) can jump out in front of me, even at 2:30 in the afternoon riding down interstate.

Our deer population has grown so much that deer can be out at just about anytime during the day in places. My suggestion is to be highly defensive in your driving and always keep an eye out for animals and other vehicles. As a motorcyclist, you have to become a highly defensive rider...no person or item you can buy is going to do that for you.

I read somewhere in the past that deer whistles don't really work, so I've never really installed them. If I do, I feel I might let my guard down and become lax in my defensive driving habits.

My 2 centavos worth.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip