Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-13-2009, 10:03 AM   #16

Changing oil a the start of the season---really?

I wish I could get away with changing oil seasonally. As it is, I'm changing it out ever six weeks or so, I ride so much.

Wait...

Nah.. that's okay. :)

Anyway, I can't see the harm in getting your money's worth out of that oil change, as long as the oil looks good when you check it.

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #17
Sr. Contributor

What in jumpin blue blazes is a board leash? Don't think I got one of them anywhere..

Jack where i live now was a habited place by the Euro in 1764, and in fact were hard up in WAR.. The French and Indian War. Well that ain't quite true as the War got over but it took some time to get that figgured out since FOX news wasn't there to tell us on the tv.

Yeah Radco I got no grass either out in the door yard, but I might get mud where it's plowed soon.

First Spring harvest is closing in too sugar , real maple sugar! I like that! Next one is mud harvest which includes rocks.

I neva' did get any takers on For FREE Snow this year. Too bad as I coulda' liked to see some hauled away too.

Then just like nuthin happened in the Govt I will be out 'jackin'' trees to stay warm fer next winta'.

I am way under their radar since them city boys ain't got no clue what a tree is for anyway. The only reason I hope i don't get caught is that if they find my 18th and 19th century tools i will get busted for weapons of mass extinction.

They won't know what in blazes these tools are for, and I will be deemed some sort of torcherer.

I must admitt thinking to do some minor brain surgery with a 2.5 T handle auguer somehow seems interesting. Maybe some delicate work with an adz.. or use a Froe for cancer treatments..

Nope I'll just get locked up and they will throw away the key for these weapons, once common tools.

OP I got a buddy that still has some old cans of oil, 1 qt cans where we once used a spout with a built in church key sort of thing. Perhaps you can recall. I still have a 1/2 dozen of these spouts, but I don't know why...

I can imagine if we opend this 40 year old oil it would still be oil and good enough to use in the engines made for it, like VW bettles, since this is straight 30 viscosity oil and non-detergent..

I find some things like oils and black powder very funny as the under 30 crowd sees things..

Once items like these were known, but not so much anymore and in a society where image and built in obsolence is the new normal.

I have a 1981 Yammi triple I fixed up so it looks new, and kids see that and think it is a new prototype of some sort. They ponder on the kick starter too.

It is getting to be that if you can't do something by pressi8ng a button of some sort that what ever it is just can't be done.

To text you press buttons, to watch the tv you press a button, to start a bike you press another button. To start a saw you press a button, to cook food you press a button, to start the toaster you press a button, to start a fire you press a button tab...

Good GOD !

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 02-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #18
Mega-Contributor

A board leash is a line that attaches to a surf board and the other end is a loop that goes around your ankle. Surfers use them to retrieve their boards after they fall of them and they prevent a riderless surfboard from hitting other surfers/swimmers.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #19

of course.......explaination of a boardlease comes from a guy in Arizona!! Anyone want a drink of tonic??

Old 02-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #20

I am with you on that mac mac. I think everybike should still come with a kick starter. I remember when you had to "grow into" a bigger bike. Not because of its size but because you had to be heavy and strong enough to pick it up and kick start the thing. My first bike was yammi 400 vtwin. It had a starter but if you pushed the button the headlight would pop. So I just kicked it all the time. I kind of miss that. There was something manly about stomping on it and bringing it to life.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #21
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdoc
of course.......explaination of a boardlease comes from a guy in Arizona!! Anyone want a drink of tonic??
I used to surf when I was stationed at El Toro, CA. Many, many moons ago.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #22
Sr. Contributor

Surfing is one thing I have never tried to do.. I did kayak in the surf with a special kayak that had little wings which reminded me of a hammer head shark once.

That was pretty fun untill somehow the wings got aimed down too much and the kayak drove into Daytona Bch at a too high a speed to suit me, about 12 feet in water still.

OP the 850 has electric start too.. When I am alone I use that, but when there is anyone watching as a gag I kick it because i can... I installer a lighter too and use it as a lighter, but it is located low under my thigh in the frame and people freak right out over a lighter...

I am not to sure I understand why.. That bike has parts from lots of thing, all the big 5, plus car parts and even RV parts. One example is the fuse box was trash, and 1/2 of an Audi fuse box, still with a cover looked 'about right' to me. it's what I do..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 02-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #23

I am way under their radar since them city boys ain't got no clue what a tree is for anyway. The only reason I hope i don't get caught is that if they find my 18th and 19th century tools i will get busted for weapons of mass extinction.

Now that was funny!!!!!!!
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 02-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #24
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

I too don't think letting new oil sit (especially new synthetic) in your engine makes it break down. Sure condensation may find it's way in but it does that daily in cold weather anyway and would steam off shrotly with the engine running. One does have an oil filter to "trap" any latent contaminants on startup.

M2CW

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #25
Sr. Contributor

Havin one hell of a time stayin on topic since it is lower than 30 degrees, and the only fluids I will be doing anything with is maple sap, and turn that into syrup. Ain't tapped yet as it is still cold.

I was thinkin' maybe I should hire up some city slick to 'teach' me which trees is which trees, but i don't think so. They ain't got any leaves and won't before i am done. Thars' white ash, Red oak and even poplars tryin' ta' look like maple out there..

I got a few buckets won't hold any liquids as ther' cracked, and I just might hang some on phone poles, pine trees, and anything else that seems interesting and very foolish.

It's an excuse to use some of my old tools. Right now I got some antique taps swimming in the bullet case tumbler so I don't have to clean each one, one at a time by hand, so I ain't totally foolish... Almost though..

Just can't get into oil... If it was any good last Fall there ain't no reason it still ain't good. just like black powder.

The 'Big They' ain't 'fixed' oil like they have with gasoline and keroscene...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 02-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkd
so the bike has been sitting, winterized with a full synthetic change that has about 400 miles on it. Do you think it is necessary to change again when spring hits?
That late in the season, I would have put off the oil change until winterization. It doesn't hurt the engine to extend the oil change interval beyond 3,000 miles especially when using synthetic.

Probably more harmful to let the bike sit for the winter with used oil in it than to go 400 miles beyond the 3,000 interval. I always put the bike away for the winter with fresh oil.

But I also think too much is made of this. Last summer I rode my bike often until September when a job change and a pinched nerve prevented me from riding much after that. It wasn't until the holidays that I was even able to winterize it. So, the bike mostly sat with used oil for 3 months. About as long as it usually sits for the winter.

I don't think it harmed the engine.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #27

Oil will not break down or "go bad" While sitting in your engine for "any" length of time.
Get your 3000 miles out of it.