Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-11-2009, 04:05 AM   #1

The "Nad" nickname

I have seen the Nomad referred to frequently on this site as "The Nad". I'm trying to figure out where this came from. Is it a contraction of Nomad (N'ad)? Anyway, when I hear the word "nad" I think of 8th grade and telling my friends "Ohh! I just got hit in the Nads!" Does anyone else related to this analogy? I guess what I'm getting at is I personally hate the nickname "The Nad" because I already have two, and having a third one is considered.....weird. I can understand calling it "The 'Mad" that makes a little more sense to me. I'm looking for anyone else's .02 on this issue. Maybe I'm just being a little overly sensitive about the issue, but Nads are sensitive.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-11-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Advanced Member

The "Nad" nickname

if i owned 2 nomads and referred to them as my "nads" that mite be a lil weird. but since i hav one, i dont hav a tuff time calling it a nad. the word nad is not kawanow analogy alone, look at some of the other forums (if you must) lol! they also call it that. so quit being so sensitive, and take your nad for a ride! Lol !

Old 01-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #3

The "Nad" nickname

Hey, wait till your nad(s) turn(s) purple. Then you know you've done some riding.

Smile, relax, enjoy the day and the ride and try not to wreck your Nad(s). ;)

Old 01-11-2009, 11:07 AM   #4

The "Nad" nickname

Join in with others on the road ... Then it's "Gonads" ... Park and it's a "Slownad" (ok a slowmad)
Ride through a blizzard in January and it becomes a "Snowmad" ... Ride her with the 1%ers an yer a Nobad(ass) ... But have it stolen ... and you call the police ... and your insurance.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to nomad
The "Nad" nickname

i call mine the "trusty steed"........:)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
Top Contributor

The "Nad" nickname

Hey yridehd, I'm glad you put it in writing because I always thought the same thing.
I refer to it as my bike, or nomad. When someone asks what I ride I don't want to say I ride a nad :-[

Besides nads are to close to the turd cutter
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to dabull
The "Nad" nickname

I think it stems from the Harley crowd....everytime a Harley owner talks to a Nomad owner, compares the bikes, then hears the price difference, they respond by acting like they had been kicked in the N@ds ;)

Old 01-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #8

The "Nad" nickname

It is called a Nad because it is supposed to be between your legs at all times. And you should always take care of it and protect it from any harm.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 01-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #9

The "Nad" nickname

I think it is a contraction of Nomad, N_ _ad. But I just call mine the bike.
You know, hey Cindy , I'm going to go ride the bike. Then she says, Wait up I'm going to get my bike and go too
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #10

The "Nad" nickname

Haven't knowingly used the word "nad" myself either.

I believe the reasons for not have been more than expressed here.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 01-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #11

The "Nad" nickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Haven't knowingly used the word "nad" myself either.

I believe the reasons for not have been more than expressed here.
+1

I've never called it a Nad, I can see shorting Chevrolet down to Chevy, but I can get the whole word out for Nomad just fine :)

Old 01-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to dabull
The "Nad" nickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney
It is called a Nad because it is supposed to be between your legs at all times. And you should always take care of it and protect it from any harm.
thats good;)

Old 01-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #13

The "Nad" nickname

Your statement is the first time I've ever heard that part of the male anatomy refereed to as "nads". I've always heard them refereed to as "nards" . Since the Nomad has been out, I've always heard it refereed to as a "Nad". But that being said, I only refer to "Nad" when I'm speaking to another "Nad" owner, anyone else, I say "Nomad". ;)

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 01-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #14
Top Contributor

The "Nad" nickname

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBull
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney
thats good;)
thats a good idea
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #15

The "Nad" nickname

Actually Nad’s are a fruit found high in the mountains of Japan. They are considered a delicacy. During the 6th century the emperor would have a group of young want to be warriors travel to these remote regions to collect the Nad fruit. The travelers were call Nomads because they carried very little with them, often enjoyed the outdoors, were very brave outspoken, risk takers and tended to deal with circumstances as they came at them and didn't really have a home or a place which they stayed very long often referred to as wonders, same as gypsies in Europe.

One year there was an incredible large harvest of Nads. They had a problem of being able to get them down the mountain and they knew that if they didn't pick the Nads they would go to seed and kill the plants for the next year which the Emperor would have their heads. So they decided to fashion some means to bring them down the mountain. The paths they had were basically goat paths. They knew a 2 side by side wheeled cart wouldn't work over the terrain. Running out of time they came of with the idea of taking a large tree, and then putting a wheel in the front and one in the back. They than fashioned some hard reed like containers on the sides of the new ride and they balanced it down the mountain sitting on the log between the 2 wheels.

This was so successful that it inspired the making of these types of carts and they were named Nomads after the wonders that invented them. However since they could get larger and larger loads now down the mountain eventually the plants were over picked and thus couldn't pollinate and since have become extinct. That is why we don't have Nads today to enjoy but we do have the Nomads to ride in their memory!
-Jon