Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 07-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #1

Create a dangerous situation

Did you ever find yourself in a situation not involving another vehicle, ever stike you as dangerous that you might want to share?

I'll start.

Riding through the mountains, no shoulder on the right. The road is cut into the mountain and you're going into a right hand turn you can't see around because the hill is on the right blocking your view. It rained last night and sand and gravel washed onto the road. You're going the speed limit but can't avoid the gravel.

Want to add another vehichle.......add your rider bud was in front of you hit the gravel and went down. No where to go.... ::)

We all have encountered some situation, or thought of some situation that wasn't as safe as we'd like and I think this kind of thread might be a little helpful to others.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Not knowing a certain road and riding too fast. I came into a curve and almost went off the road because I was riding faster than I should have.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 07-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #3

Watch those exit/U-Turn jug handles! Went in a little too hot and ran into sand or gravel while leaned over. Had the presence of mind (‘dumb luck’) to stand the bike up and then brake without dumping the bike. This happened over forty years ago on a 305 Honda and taught me a good lesson at the right time in my riding career. If it happened while riding a freight car like my Nomad it would not have turned out so good.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #4

Riding around the tail of the dragon area and getting into a turn just a little hotter than I should. I remember riding the edge of the pavement with a two inch drop into peagravel and thinking if I do anything to turn deeper I will slip off the edge. I finally got back on the road and all turned out well. Still not sure how I could ride the edge like that and not slip off. I figure I had a good co-pilot on my shoulder looking out for me.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

The shoelaces of my sneaker caught on the peg feelers and I had a dickens of a time getting it uncaught while moving. Also, when I picked up my Nomad, whoever assembled the bike tilted the bars to low and when I made a left hand turn, my left knee got trapped between the handlebar and tank. That was fun too.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads