Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 08-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #1

On the fence

Got a chance to be a rider coach with MSF in September. I really and truly feel like I don't have time to add an additional duty to my job (doesn't pay any more). I have been managing our motorcycle program for years but always had volunteer instructors from my base or the Army that teach it. Now, the guys have burned out on it or are deployed and I can't get them to teach classes and I have a backlog of people that need it. (the military will pay for it). Should I go ahead and be an instructor or get someone trained later this spring? I have a lot of big inspections coming that I'm responsible for and this will take away a lot of time that I need to prepare for the inspections. In the long run nobody cares as long as everything gets done ( doesn't matter who does it). I just want our riders to be safe. The class will require me to ride about 650 miles one way to attend so I can get it for free. What do you think I should do? I have to decide by tomorrow.
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #2

On the fence

It's all in what you have time for Bobby. If you feel you will enjoy it, then go for it.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 08-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #3

On the fence

Can't say yes or no in this kind of a situation. I would ask some more questions of myself before committing.

1. How tired are you going to be going to and coming from the class. 650 miles one way all at once or split between two days. It is one thing to make a long run when you are fresh, quite another when tired. To be safe it may involve more travel time than you have available.
2. Are there going to be extra people to assist during the course?
3. Gotta get there because ..... has gotten a lot of people killed over the years.
4. Would it be better to wait until the current pressing matters are completed, only because there will be less pressure?

Yes it is important for these people to get decent training before they become statistics. However, weighing the risks and your own safety has to be a concern, too.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Old 08-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
On the fence

Tough decision Bobby. I think it would be a good thing to do. I am sure you would gain valuable experience from it. Wish there was a ready answer but it is a decision you will have to make and then live with it.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 08-11-2010, 05:54 AM   #5

On the fence

Hey zoom,

I'm probably to late here with my 2 cents but I'll throw it in anyways.
I'm am a MSF ridercoach for the State of New Hampshire and am in the National Guard. Are you saying you are a rider coach or havethe opportunity tobecome one?? Or, where you going to ride all those miles to teach a class? Is this class on a military installation? Are the students service members?
If you're saying you have the opportunity to become a rider coach, I say go for it. Never hurts to have the certification which allows you to teach for any program anywhere in the US.
I'll retire in about two years and this is what I'll do for my additional retirement income and maybe I can teach in the winter months somewhere else where it's warm and get out of the NE for the winter.

vin
ps: are you a service member?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #6

On the fence

Yes it's a rider coach class. NGB is paying for the class so it's free and will be held in our region at Savannah CRTC. Riding there from here is no problem just a good ride. I like the long rides. I can't get my current instructors to give any classes and the Army pretty much quit teaching it in our area. Everyone is TDY or overtask with their own job. I may take it so I can set a class schedule and get some of our riders trained. I'm the Ground Safety Manager for our base (172AW).
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Old 08-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #7

On the fence

Got it. Now I understand your situation. I know you'd like to take it for free but you obviously know that you have to take the course to ride on base, One step further, when we have drill weekends and you want to go for a nice relaxing ride after you get home , say on Saturday, you are supposed to have completed the course. I believe, anytime you're being paid by NGB you can ride only if you have had the class. Becoming a rider coach takes some time. My training took place over a period of three, three day weekends. Once I made it through that I had to work with a mentor for my first 6 classes. Have to teach a minimum of 2 classes a year. It can be a large commitment but is very rewarding when on Sunday afternoon that "one student" that had such a difficult time and you witnessed all the hard work they put in and then see that big fat smile when you hand them their certificate on Sunday. Very gratifying.

vin