Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-27-2018, 11:31 PM   #1

First ride on a cool night.

We have begun to get some Autumn-like weather here in western Ky.
Tonight the temp. Is a brisk 58 degrees. I went out for a leisurely cruise and soon found my shield, mirrors, and clear face shield all fogged up.

I pulled off the face shield and put on a pair of clear safety glasses.
Problem solved.

This was my first ride with the Nomad in cooler temps.
The bike ran so much better tonight. I could tell the engine was smoother, ran stronger, and shifting was much easier than when it was 95 degrees.

It has been raining all week and this was my first chance to ride. It’s been killing me having to drive the car everywhere I go!

Anyways, I have stock pipes and intake. I really don’t want to change my pipes.
Would a fuel controller help me see this performance increase I experienced tonight all year around?

Kyle Stewart
2006 Nomad 1600

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-29-2018, 06:11 AM   #2

Posted about IVAN's ECU flash, but then noticed you are a 1600 Nomad. I got nothing for you there, sorry. Hopefully, someone else will chime in.

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 09-29-2018, 08:16 AM   #3

Cooler air makes more HP due to being 'thicker'.

There is more O2 in a cc of colder air, which allows better combustion.

Just like a bellows makes a flame hotter.

A fuel add on may give you a small bump due to these bikes being on the lean side from the factory.

It will not give you what you experienced with doing the big three, intake, pipes, fuel module.
VBA 936

Old 09-29-2018, 10:08 AM   #4

When I first bought my 01 Nomad , it was completely stock . I slowly built it up to where I wanted it . Not knowing , I purchased new pipes and a fuel controller . I first started with the pipes and found I got a lot popping and such , which is normal for a stock bike . Then before doing the intake I went with a Dobeck EJK . I did find a difference in how the bike ran . It did have a bit more power and did run smoother . It took care of my popping . Now when you purchase a Dobeck it already comes programed for a " stage one " set-up . I emailed there tech and they suggested the proper set up for my bike without the air mod done . So to answer your question , yes it made a difference . All bikes are lean from the factory and need a little help to get the best performance out of them . If you decide to do the Big 3 , you'll notice a lot more power and your bike will be much happier .

Funny , I too noticed my bikes ran much better when the temp dropped , but I still prefer a hot sunny day !!!

If I were you I would go for it !

Old 10-23-2018, 07:29 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Fortunately, most of what you can gain in performance is done with the least expensive options; Caddman air intake mod, marble mod, debaffle mod, and then add a Dobeck fuel management mod and you'll get more of a bike than you felt that night.

And what you felt was you bike breathing in cooler, more dense air. When the air is dense on nights like that, the engine sucks in more mass because the air density is higher and contains more energy. Since an engine is basically a fancy air pump, if you suck in more energy, you get more energy.

Login or Register to Remove Ads