Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #16

Well, I have never really been a fan of having to disassemble portions of a bike for periodic maintenance. Dropping mufflers to add or change rear end lube....kinda sucks. Yes, I know, Don't need to do it very often.
I drilled a hole up onto the housing....where I can add lube, without taking everything apart. I also added a bottom drain hole. Now, I can flush my rear drive assembly every few years....theres alot of wear and shredding of the oil....meaning....its best to change it often.
But, I also have a zerk fitting on my neck, also on my swingarm to lube the pivot bearings/bushings....
But of course I also have a automotive petcock in the bottom of my radiator also, to change coolant, without pulling sending units....
Anything that allows me to work on my bike without disassembly of major components for bike maintenance is cool!
All my add on elect. stuff has its own seperate fuse block, under the left hand side cover.... I have a lighted mirror to see my oil level when I sit on my bike (courtesy of Husky Tools), I have a 16MM tapped hole up top to add lube to my final drive....I made a dipstick to check for correct level, 14mm drain hole on bottom....I use brass allen head pipe plugs, courtesy of Fastenal.
I give my neck bearings 1 shot of grease every year, my swingarm 1 shot of grease, drain my oil on its side stand, use oil filter strap wrench to change filters....

But I'm also the sort that pops the bottom jug plugs to drain all the coolant also....Also, drain coolant and change thermostat at same time, and I change brake fluid every few years, too....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by DragonLady58; 09-14-2018 at 12:55 PM.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:00 PM   #17

Thank you for sharing that wisdom DragonLady!
Those are some terrific ideas. I would love to add a zerk to my neck and swing arm this winter if I am able to get a round tuit

Kyle Stewart
2006 Nomad 1600

Old 09-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #18

Please excuse my ignorance, but what final drive oil are you people talking about????
I thought final drive oil only applied to shaft driven bikes.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #19

Final drive on shaft drive Kawasaki Nomad 2008 and earlier.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Last edited by recumbentbob; 09-18-2018 at 11:45 AM.