Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #1

Problem with Thunder MFG Hyper Charger Manifold

Anyone use the Thunder Manufacturing Hyper Charge manifold for your intake modification? I'm in the process of doing this mod and have run into a problem with the air sensor hole location. They put it on the trailing edge of the manifold and the wiring harness is not long enough to reach. I have tracked the harness back and can see no way to get enough slack to install the air temp sensor in the hole provided. I can't beleave Thunder MFG has been selling these as long as they have without picking up on this. I must be missing something. I will call them Monday but was wondering if anyone else ran into this problem and what you did to resolve it. My back up plan is to install the sensor in the back of the Hypercharger body and plug the provided hole.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #2

I have the Thunder manifold with a standard Hyperchargers and actualy had to secure extra wire on the stock harness going to the air temp sensor. Not sure what your issue is, I did have to run a tap thru the threads as they were buggered up.

You could just relocate the air sensor, I don't think it's a big issue as some have completely removed it from the air box.
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 11-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #3

By 'secure' do you mean your harness was too long? My issue is the sensor was located in the bottom right of the stock backing plate. The Thunder manifold has it located at the left back edge sticking back towards the back end of the bike...to far for the harness to reach. The threads on mine were buggerd up bad too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.

Last edited by Vulcan Bill; 11-17-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #4

Bill, I don't have a hyper-charger, but I do have the thunder backing plate, and my wires were too short too. I ended up cutting them and soldering in enough wire to make it reach. Easy fix, and like James, I too had to run a tap thru to clean up the threads for the sensor.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 11-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #5

just cut the wires and splice an extra length of wire for each wire that is there, no big deal, that is what I did with mine. Or you can do what some did and just secure it out of the way.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #6

Grin

Okay, so the Thunder intake I got was not just a one time fluke. I suspect this kit is sold to cover a wide year range of Vulcans and somewhere along the line Kawasaki changed the air temp sensor location from the left to the right of the backing plate. Hence the too short wire harness.

Smoky...I eliminated the Hypercharger butterflys and installed a nice perforated intake grill in mine. Didn't need the butterfly vacuum actuator anymore so I cut the diaphram housing off on the back. That left only the actuator rod hole which turned out to be the perfect place to mount an air temp sensor

Last edited by Vulcan Bill; 11-18-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Bill View Post
Okay, so the Thunder intake I got was not just a one time fluke. I suspect this kit is sold to cover a wide year range of Vulcans and somewhere along the line Kawasaki changed the air temp sensor location from the left to the right of the backing plate. Hence the too short wire harness.

Smoky...I eliminated the Hypercharger butterflys and installed a nice perforated intake grill in mine. Didn't need the butterfly vacuum actuator anymore so I cut the diaphram housing off on the back. That left only the actuator rod hole which turned out to be the perfect place to mount an air temp sensor
I no longer have the pro on mine, took it off and installed the alley kat, I heard the butterflies are more for show, but have to wonder whether or not they act like a ram air system, open more or close more the more throttle you use, never really paid attention to it. I seem to remember that what I did with the air sensor on mine was drill a hole so the sensor tip was inside the filter, drilled and tapped a smaller hole for the screw to hold it in place, and just left it there, it then reads the temp after the filter which is where the original location was with the stock set up, worked fine.

Still have the pro with the thunder backing plate and will be selling it in the spring.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 11-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #8

The way I see it the Hypercharger is just that...a ram air induction system. At cruise the butterflys are pretty much closed. When you roll the throttle on the butterflys open and air is rammed into the intake.
Since I replaced the butterflys with a mesh screen I'll have full time ram air. Curious to see how it works...thats a lot of air! BTW...I installed a Techlusion TFI fuel processer along with the new intake and am already running drilled Cobra True Duals.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #9

nice, would be interesting to see how it sounds as well, running the V&H pro pipe 2-1 and Cobra auto tune with the Alley Kat air intake, I like it.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 11-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #10

I wasn't familiar with the Ally Kat so i just looked it up. NICE! Looks great and like it really breaths. I see they don't make it for the 1600.
Probably cause they have the dual dog bowl/cross over tunnel fiasco going on.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Not owning one, my first question would be is it possible that the backing plate was reversed?

Web Slinger's Speedo face, Chuckster's Air Kit, Jay's LED Tail light, dshelly's throttle mod, Kuryakan Deep Bezel lens, Headlight Modulator, Kuryakan Run/Brake/Turn, DWG 2" speakers and amp, Stebel Air Horn

Fire & Iron, Red Knights, ROK, VBA, VRA, VROC, IAFF

Old 11-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post
Not owning one, my first question would be is it possible that the backing plate was reversed?
Nope, it only goes on one way. No way you can reverse it.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Bill View Post
Nope, it only goes on one way. No way you can reverse it.
Just a thought

Web Slinger's Speedo face, Chuckster's Air Kit, Jay's LED Tail light, dshelly's throttle mod, Kuryakan Deep Bezel lens, Headlight Modulator, Kuryakan Run/Brake/Turn, DWG 2" speakers and amp, Stebel Air Horn

Fire & Iron, Red Knights, ROK, VBA, VRA, VROC, IAFF

Old 11-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #14

Thumbs Up

Done deal. I took her for test ride today. The combo of the hyper charger ram air intake and the Techlusion (Dobeck) TFI really woke this engine up. The performance gain was worth the $ and time to install IMHO. Still tweaking it some but happy with the outcome

Last edited by Vulcan Bill; 11-19-2013 at 06:47 PM.