Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 04-24-2010, 07:26 AM   #1

Bikering has changed, I think

I just read Zoom45s' post on his 10 hour ride taking 14 hours, and I wonder. Of all the "BIKERs" that are seen strutting, usually on an HD but not always, with dealer or make t- shirts, studded belts, chain drive wallets, chained or tipped boots, leather vest with button extentions and little patches and pins and motorcycle brand logo patches, lots of stickers on their helmets, with brand new body art walking around with their bellys sucked in, and shoulders way back like a muscular iron pumper, how many would have
even attempted that ride, much less made it, and how many would have pulled in to Holiday Inn. Or would have trailered the bike to Fla. And later said "I took the -- to Fl. had a great ride".
Once apawn a time you could usually look at someone and tell if their bike was a significant part of their life or just a sudo set of high priced ball bearings and an image. I've seen Zoom45. You can't always tell the real bikers by looking any more.
Thanks for your time

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-24-2010, 08:51 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round, sonny. For some riders two hours in the saddle is torture. For others 22 hours is not enough. What we all need to do is stop pointing fingers at what we consider 'posers' because someone does not measure up to our own standard of what a biker is.

I need to find Zoom45's post and read it.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 04-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #3

Other than a black leather jacket, with only one highly reflective patch on the back for visibility, I don't do any "Biker" gear. I'm totally content to be seen as just a motorcyclist, not a biker of any sort. No bandannas, patches, assless pants, etc.

Jeans, T-shirt, and a jacket. I even make the cardinal sin of bikerdom by wearing a full face helmet!

Not a biker, not trying to look like one, but I do ride year round in all kinds of weather. 400 miles is an impromptu day ride from home for me. I've ridden with no itinery, no room reservations, and camping along the way for 4,000 miles. I've ridden, and had no camping spots show up by dusk, and set up in the weeds on the edge of farmers fields. I've headed down 50 miles of dirt road, in what has been determined to be the most desolate place in the U.S., without having any idea where it comes out and where I'll be when it does.

But if I was mistaken for a Goldwing or BMW rider, that would be right fine with me. I don't need the Biker costume, and I don't have any desire to be a "real" biker. Just being a motorcyclist is fine with me.

Different motivations for different people.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #4

Barring any breakdowns or accidents, Darlene and I will do a little over 600 miles Monday to meet up with the Texas Hill Country crew. We're both excited as kids in a toy store. The only items that will make us look like "bikers" is the leather vests, the bike, and the trailer. Oh well, almost. Bikers don't ride Kawasakis and don't pull trailers. Neverthless, we'll still have a great time.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 04-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #5

I have been riding some kind of motorcycle since 1972 owned more then I can remember. When I ride I treat everybody the same no matter what they ride or how far they ride. I just hope each one of them develops the love I have for motorcycles. How lucky I have been to be able to enjoy this freedom!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny
You can't always tell the real bikers by looking any more.
I am not sure I would agree with you on that one Sonny, and with no offense intended... not sure what your point is. I am not really sure who cares if someone rides a lot or a only a little?

I guess I have just never got hung-up on that issue... it simply doesn't matter to me in the least.

Whether someone rides more or less than anyone else doesn't make them any more of a "biker" (or any less one) in my opinion. ;)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 04-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

My patches are states i actutally rode in and i don't have them all yet. I have a few joke patches and few others that mean something to me. These are hand sewn by me on a vest I wear over my jacket.

I wear ass less pants because it's cold here in August at night and if it ain't chances are it's raining, and still cold.

In NH if you don't ride in rain, you don't ride. I been down twice now and the road hurts too. i didn't like them pickin cotton out of my leg much either.

I do have long hair in a pony tail mostly and did since 6th grade. A beard comes and goes at my whim. I carry a gun all the time if not 2, but not because i ride, but because i fear the system and what the system releases on paroll. There will not be a 3rd system failure in my life.

I am either a real nice guys to most or living hell to those that want a victim. I have riden 14 hour rides in 10, and riden 10 hour rides in over 24. Somedays are just not ment to be for riding I guess.

I rode coast to coast to coast and turned 1/2 the country back then bought a van for a bed and a trailer to haul the bike. So what who cares?

Both ears are holed twice... Not for bikes but for who I am.. More over for the native in me. and the years 1750-1840. It's who and what i am. Who should care and who can judge...

Unless yer BD LOL Somedays i love that Dude..

I began riding whith bikes that didn't run... I used to dream and buy barn junk, and some even ran a little while. That was back around 64, the year my wife was born.

No bike and no leather man a man. If I wanted a HD I would have an HD... I had two both real iron engines.. I live by eat seeds or die....

Whars that thread?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

I have to agree with you guys. I ride for pleasure whether it be going to work which is five miles away or riding to Texas which is a 2,000 plus mile round trip.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 04-24-2010, 09:19 PM   #9

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC

I ride a motorcycle, and I signed a 30 year mortgage and saving to put two young-uns through collage is what living life on the edge to me. I have a great job with good pay an benefits but sometimes I have to work for supervisors that stun me because they haven't met the wrong person who would choke the living hell out of 'em. :-/ The toughest thing I do to impress people at work is when I ride in during a torrential down pour. I just do it for the attention and not often 'cause it's tough riding home in a torrential down pour at night!

To each his own. It ain't easy being a working class nerd especially when the government take half your income before you get it and other folks that have no desire to work vote and decide how to spend that money.

Gimme that open road, camping under the stars any time.

I wouldn't mind being a biker like Jessie James. Money, bikes and cars. A dumpster full of xwifes and xgirlfriends. That last actress......how much more of a clue did she need ??? I still believe she don't know what hit her. The expression on her face even looked like this icon ??? .
What a MAN!
What a BIKER!!!!!!!
<marquee> </marquee>

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 04-25-2010, 01:43 AM   #10

As my wife likes to say "It doen't take all kinds there just is!"

I wouldn't want to live anywhere where all kinds weren't welcome!
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 04-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #11

WOW!!!!!!!!! I would not have thunk it. I reread my orignal post and don't see any place that I pioonted a finger or gave an opinion, + or -, about any one but Zoom45. And I thought the opinion was clear that I think he is serious about riding his bike, I was impressed with his stick-to-it. I did not realize that wondering about some thing would kick up so much dust. But since 'posers' was mentioned, I will give my opinion. I think that going along with a 'poser' and not calling his hand because it is 'politically correct' and they might get their feelings hurt is detrimental to the country and a gross injustice to the up-comming generation. I fosters a belief that I don't need to accomplish, I just need to look like I can and look as good or better than everyone else. I believe ther is evidence that this effects a great deal in this country. Apparently unrelated, but I guess the housing mortgage business may not have recovered yet in Maricopa County Az. Because a few years back folks had to be seen in houses with notes that they could not expect to accomplish, But I can't look like I'm poor". That is a quote from a former client in that area during the early aftermath. I did state my opinion that once upon a time you could tell a cowboy from a dime store or someone who rode their bike a lot form a weekender and I don't think that is the case any more. And if any one got their feelings hurt because I was wondering about some thing, I have never been seriously accused, to my face, of being 'politically correct' and with good reason.
By the by, the reason I like this site so much is because I have not read a lot of 'posing' on it.
Thanks for your time

Old 04-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
Mega-Contributor

I was on a charity ride last week sponsored by Buddy Stubbs HD (two dealerships in the area). The ride started at his North Phoenix store, and we had to go there to sign waivers, pick up our shirts, enjoy breakfast, and start the ride. As I was walking out to my bike to put away my leather jacket, one of the guys I was riding with was rolling his bike into the service department. I asked him later what was wrong, and he said he wanted them to check the tire pressure. WTF! I probably have 3 tire gauges stashed on my bike, I can check my pressure anywhere I'm at, and since I carry a small Slime compressor, I can fill the tires anywhere, anytime. I just shook my head. He probably doesn't know how to check the air in his tires.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Ole George Carlin did a piece about bikers I LMAO ever time I hear it.

http://www.bikerrogue.com/Sounds/gctr.wma
Mustang seat and fender bib
Avon Venom tires
2 right side Harley mufflers the quiet side.
TFI fuel control
Progressive 430 shocks 430-4213B (Best Mod to the bike I've made)
Progressive fork springs (See Above)
Kuryakyn grips
A touch of chrome farkles
Reckless fairing color match 2 tone paint.
Kenwood deck with Polk 5 1/4" speakers.

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now

Old 04-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
I was on a charity ride last week sponsored by Buddy Stubbs HD (two dealerships in the area). The ride started at his North Phoenix store, and we had to go there to sign waivers, pick up our shirts, enjoy breakfast, and start the ride. As I was walking out to my bike to put away my leather jacket, one of the guys I was riding with was rolling his bike into the service department. I asked him later what was wrong, and he said he wanted them to check the tire pressure. WTF! I probably have 3 tire gauges stashed on my bike, I can check my pressure anywhere I'm at, and since I carry a small Slime compressor, I can fill the tires anywhere, anytime. I just shook my head. He probably doesn't know how to check the air in his tires.
Maybe it was time for an air change in the tires???? ::)
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 04-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Maybe it was time for an air change in the tires???? ::)
Harley probably has a patent on HD High Performance Tire Air. It won't work on rice gringers. Harley Air is a must to fully enjoy a Harley motorcycle. It makes it handle better. ::)