Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-28-2019, 12:58 PM   #1

Voyager Risers, Stem Bearings, Luggage Rack

Checking in here! Had a great summer. My 15 year-old son and I took the Voyager from KC to Seattle and then down the coast to San Fran, and then zig-zagged home. Put nearly 7000 on the bike that trip. Then a couple weeks later, my 12 year-old son and I rode out East and did the entire Blue Ridge Parkway. Put nearly 10,000 miles on the bike in less than a month. GREAT STUFF!

A couple questions you might be able to help with. I have always read about the wobble, but at 17,000 miles I have yet to experience it. Bike is a 2013. Is this [the wobble] something I should expect to happen soon, and should I get the All Balls put in now as a precaution?

I REALLY want to find some risers that work, that actually bring the handlebars back without touching the fairing (I hate that). I already have the Chucksters. I Don't want to build up the steering stop cause then you can't lock the forks, and I want to bring the bars back more than the Chucksters do, anyway. I would even buy a whole new set of handlebars if I have to. Any other options out there that are not Chucksters and that do not cause the bars to touch the fairing?

One last thing, I have the Kuryakyn luggage rack, which is really nice looking and functional. However, is there anything I can do to reinforce the lid somehow, as I am worried about putting too much weight on it before cracking the lid. Any advice would be great. Thanks everybody!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-29-2019, 07:49 PM   #2

Tough questions, If it works... your good. On mine , 11,000 miles and 2 steering head bearing tightening's. Last one, I did myself and now the wobble, But I think I just did not tighten it enough Or let it go to long and cupped my new front tire.

When I get risers I plan on the ROX adjustable risers. But that is only because I do not want to deal with the wrenching under the triple tree.
That is just me though. Probably not the right or best way to go. In theory it works.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 11-03-2019, 11:48 PM   #3

Show Chrom Risers

Wondering if anybody has tried these on the Voyager or Vaquero...

https://www.denniskirk.com/show-chro...SABEgJIBvD_BwE

Old 11-08-2019, 12:23 AM   #4

Trunk lid reinforcement

A suggestion for your trunk lid would be to look at the design of the luggage rack for a Yamaha Royal Star Venture from a few years ago. They use a strap between the mounting points on each side which appears to spread the load instead of isolating it to 4 small points. When I get around to installing a rack on my Voyager I believe I will either use the Yamaha rack on my trunk or fabricate some stainless or chrome straps to spread the load.