Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 11-21-2019, 08:50 PM   #16

my 2011 Voyager does this from a warm start - immediately after a fill up for some reason. I let it run for about a minute...shut down and restart and its good from there

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-21-2019, 10:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
So I cleaned the throttle body with sea foam. The problem went away for a few weeks.

Thought I was golden. This was easy.

Then it came back, but not as often or as bad.

What I noticed it would happen after the engine was up to operating temp. When I would make a short time stop, say to go into a store, and the engine had not cooled completely down, it would start this problem till it warm back up. Could take 4 or 5 minutes. Most of the time sooner.

I would let it sit and idle at the higher rpm till is suddenly dropped to normal.

There were a few times it would step down to idle fairly rapidly. And a few times it would idle so slow I thought it was going to die. Bliping the throttle would bring it to normal idle.

I don't believe the ecu was controlling the throttle because the the rps's were not the same. There were times it would be 1200 rpm, and times close to 2000 rpm. But I could be wrong.

My temp gauge indicates the engine is still quite warm, so I can't believe the ECU is summoning the engine to rev up.

My thought at this time is there is a mechanical issue with the throttle shaft. Like it is sticking till the heat makes it's way back into the throttle body area and clearance issues around the shaft change.

Any thoughts?
You could be right....these bikes are pretty complicated electronically....but, could be something simple also....
Though I haven't really experienced anything with the Vaquero, not to say I won't, but I'd just disassemble everything around the throttlebody, clean, apply dielectric grease on all the electrics, make sure everything is plugged in good, making good connection and tight. Then, I'd clean all the mechanical pieces, shafts, bellcranks, and cables.
Does it still be idled up when you try and put it in gear? Letting out on clutch? Or is it in neutral?

This could make for a very dangerous situation if maneuvering slowly thru a crowded parking lot with kids, old folks and the bike idles up....
Could be perhaps a design flaw of some sort, since there seems to be alot of folks experiencing this....
Don't want to scare anyone, but possible even be cruise control related....something getting input that shouldn't be....though with all my experience on HDs and Kawas, i'd think its more mechanical related. BUT, one never knows....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 11-21-2019 at 10:58 PM.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:33 PM   #18
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
You could be right....these bikes are pretty complicated electronically....but, could be something simple also....
Though I haven't really experienced anything with the Vaquero, not to say I won't, but I'd just disassemble everything around the throttlebody, clean, apply dielectric grease on all the electrics, make sure everything is plugged in good, making good connection and tight. Then, I'd clean all the mechanical pieces, shafts, bellcranks, and cables.
Does it still be idled up when you try and put it in gear? Letting out on clutch? Or is it in neutral?

This could make for a very dangerous situation if maneuvering slowly thru a crowded parking lot with kids, old folks and the bike idles up....
Could be perhaps a design flaw of some sort, since there seems to be alot of folks experiencing this....
Don't want to scare anyone, but possible even be cruise control related....something getting input that shouldn't be....though with all my experience on HDs and Kawas, i'd think its more mechanical related. BUT, one never knows....

It doesn't rev up on it's own to say going from a lower rpm to a higher rpm.

But if I rev it up, then it won't come back down till it wants to, which I think it is related to how warm the throttle body might be.

If I blip the throttle it will stay at what ever rpm it wants to, say like 1900 rpm. I can rev it to 3000 and it will come down to 1900 and stay there till it decides to drop to idle. Might be a minute, might be 4 minutes.

There is no rime or reason as to rpm or time stuck at the higher speed.

There have been a few times it will drop to idle but the next time I bring the rpm's up it will stick, but shortly drop to idle again.

Does it in gear or neutral.

The problem leads me to believe it is related to the throttle shaft is because I used seafoam to clean the intake ports and that is the only thing I cleaned or touched and the problem went away for about 2 weeks.

The weather has been good so far, so I have been riding every where I need to go. So I haven't tried to sideline my trusty steed.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.