Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Mick don't know what lift you are using but things get tippy when either wheel is dropped. Block which ever stays on good.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #17
Advanced Member

I had a tire start whining bad thought it was a bearing found a cut on anyway so I changed it.
Mustang seat and fender bib
Avon Venom tires
2 right side Harley mufflers the quiet side.
TFI fuel control
Progressive 430 shocks 430-4213B (Best Mod to the bike I've made)
Progressive fork springs (See Above)
Kuryakyn grips
A touch of chrome farkles
Reckless fairing color match 2 tone paint.
Kenwood deck with Polk 5 1/4" speakers.

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now

Old 10-05-2014, 02:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
Mick don't know what lift you are using but things get tippy when either wheel is dropped. Block which ever stays on good.
Mac,i've got a block 6x6 that fit's up under the rear subframe next to the rear wheel,and a flat board to cover the jack, i'm going to take both wheel's out, i reckon if i do the rear first as it's the heaviest,then block the front under the frame by the radiator and hang a sand bag from the steering head it should be ok.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #19

Not sure I would attempt to do both at the same time. These bikes are heavy and getting the second one off will be very difficult to do and keep the frame balanced on the jack.

I would jack it up and put a block under the front tire and do everything you need to do on the back first then block the rear tire and remove everything you need to on the front. Bike will stay much more stable that way.

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Old 10-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by minst7877 View Post
Not sure I would attempt to do both at the same time. These bikes are heavy and getting the second one off will be very difficult to do and keep the frame balanced on the jack.

I would jack it up and put a block under the front tire and do everything you need to do on the back first then block the rear tire and remove everything you need to on the front. Bike will stay much more stable that way.

DC
I will see how it goes mate I see that you're Judge's gear failed, what's the story with that. i thought they were the way to go

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #21

We don't know for sure why. I personally feel that the two Flat head screws that hold the keeper in place broke allowing the gear to move and strip the teeth. We did find the head of one of the screws in the crankcase when it was pulled apart and the head was missing on the other screw. Probably ground up in the tranny gears. Gear still showed signs of the Loctite that was used when it was assembled and the clutch basket tabs were still below the surface of the ring gear. Like I have told others I got 10,000 miles out of that gear which was put in as a precautionary measure. Would I do it again probably not but that is each persons personal choice. If I had known about the problem of the POG when the bike was purchased I probably would have not bought her. I have however come to truly love the ride and decided to rebuild the engine rather than having a pile of parts to get rid of. And I now have a engine that I have no worries about.

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625

Old 10-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by minst7877 View Post
We don't know for sure why. I personally feel that the two Flat head screws that hold the keeper in place broke allowing the gear to move and strip the teeth. We did find the head of one of the screws in the crankcase when it was pulled apart and the head was missing on the other screw. Probably ground up in the tranny gears. Gear still showed signs of the Loctite that was used when it was assembled and the clutch basket tabs were still below the surface of the ring gear. Like I have told others I got 10,000 miles out of that gear which was put in as a precautionary measure. Would I do it again probably not but that is each persons personal choice. If I had known about the problem of the POG when the bike was purchased I probably would have not bought her. I have however come to truly love the ride and decided to rebuild the engine rather than having a pile of parts to get rid of. And I now have a engine that I have no worries about.

DC
I bought mine with 28,000 on it and had a new clutch fitted after about 1000,it's now got 38,000+,the mechanic told me that the gear was steel, so dont know if it is a Judges or not, Kawasaki did'nt recall bike's over here, so unless one of the 3 previous owner's paid for a oem replacement, i reckon it is,so i dont feel so sure of it anymore

Old 10-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #23

If you go behind the clutch anytime soon look at the face of the gear if it is a Judges gear there will be two little allen head screws beside the center of the shaft. If it is the SOG from Kaw there will not be any. The only way to get the SOG in is to split the case that's why so many went with the JOG including me.

This is in no way saying anything bad about the JOG just that this was my experience with it. Many have not had any issues with this gear.

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625

Last edited by minst7877; 10-05-2014 at 10:24 PM.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:52 AM   #24

I've got the bike up on axle stand's at the moment,just put the engine back in after re-timing the valve's,so i might have a go at fitting a new bearing in the bevel gear,anyone got any advice on how to remove it,and a part noumber would be handy too.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:28 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
I've got the bike up on axle stand's at the moment,just put the engine back in after re-timing the valve's,so i might have a go at fitting a new bearing in the bevel gear,anyone got any advice on how to remove it,and a part noumber would be handy too.
Are either of the bearings bad?

If not, don't worry about it.

Most of these bikes go their whole life with the original bearings.

Unless you suspect an issue, just leave it be.

You could pull out a bearing that may last without a problem and install one that fails.

MT
VBA 936