Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-01-2014, 10:15 AM   #16
Advanced Member

Enjoy your vacation seagullplayer, when you get back and resume your shopping I wanted to mention a couple simple mods which make the 1500FI much better for long trips.
*Get a big fat touring seat with driver backrest.
*Add a trunk with passenger backrest.
*Add crash bar chaps to take wind off your shins.
*Extend your brake and shifter levers for max floorboard room.

This pic shows all those mods except the touring seat which I still need to save for - in the meantime I'm using something called a bikecushion (bikecushion.com). Note the placement of the brake pedal over the right floorboard, this was cut and rewelded with a 3" extension. I had the same to the shifter lever and this one mod completely transformed the ergonomics of the bike to far better suit my 6'1" frame. It more resembles where the 1600 places it's pedals. Just saying don't be afraid of a post-'99 1500, they're plenty big enough with this simple mod and mine will cruise 2-up at 80mph with plenty of acceleration to spare.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #17

I wanted to thank everyone for your help. As it turned out I just could not connect with anyone with a Nomad. Had several calls go un-returned. Maybe they ended up sold, seems to be a popular bike for sure.

I did end up getting a 2005 VTX 1300R at a good price. Late season deal, guy just wanted to make a deal before winter I guess. I think I got it at a great price. 25K on the clock, new tires, new battery. Hard bags, mustang seat, floor boards front and back, V&H pipes.

You guys have a great forum, and are a valuable service to fellow owners, I wish you all the best. I would sure love to meet some of ya on the road.

pic:

Old 11-03-2014, 09:05 AM   #18
Advanced Member

Excellent buy! I have a lot of respect for the 1300VTX, reliable, good looking and sound GREAT with aftermarket pipes. SO don't be a stranger lots of big posters here no longer ride a Vulcan or at least not exclusively, it's a forum or RIDERS and you're in if you want to play. Keep us bookmarked you're welcome any time.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #19

I'd-man: can you share or direct me to more info on how you modified your controls? I ride a 2004 1500 Nomad and I find myself sliding my feet up under the rear brake pedal and a couple extra inches would be nice for my 34-inch inseam legs.

To the OP, that is a great looking bike. Enjoy the ride!

Old 11-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #20
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterbore View Post
I'd-man: can you share or direct me to more info on how you modified your controls? I ride a 2004 1500 Nomad and I find myself sliding my feet up under the rear brake pedal and a couple extra inches would be nice for my 34-inch inseam legs.
Oh boy this is the mod for you! I was lucky to have a really good welder nearby who turned this around quickly and much cheaper than buying a Drifter brake lever. I brought him the brake and shift levers which he cut apart and extended slicker'n snot. The pics clearly show how much extra foot room was gained - awesome improvement for me - now I can totally stretch out on this bike!

Now that it's done I find a 2" extension on the shift lever would have been enough. I have no trouble reaching it to tap down (downshift) but UP-shifting seems a little awkward for some reason, too far away to get my toe fully under it quickly which relegates me to always UP-shifting with my heel (which is my normal way anyway so it's an insignificant point for me but worth mentioning if you like toe shifting a 2" extension would be just fine...but personally I'm happy to have it out of the way).

One other point worth mentioning is the welder said the shift lever was cast metal and would require a different type of welding. I can't remember what he called it now but anyone considering this mod should be sure their welder can deal with cast before cutting things up. This is the shift lever only, no such problems with the brake which is good old flat bar steel. I will say that in the 6 months since I had this done I have most certainly NOT been babying my shift lever and she's stout as original. This is the single most beneficial ergonomic mod I've had done to make my bike fit ME.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by id-man; 11-03-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #21

Thank You! I printed your post out and I am going to look at my bike hard to figure my options out. I have a blacksmith near me that I have a feeling could make both pieces without changing my OEM parts.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #22

"The 1700 is a little more sluggish but has a 6th gear & cruise control the 1600's don't have either one. My biggest complaint about the 1600 was the lack of a 6th gear. The 6th gear & the cruise are really sweet if you do much highway riding. All in all, I'd still opt for my 1700 1st but wouldn't hesitate on a good deal on a 1600 either! You'll win either way!"
I must say that you must have a factory dog 1700. I have had a 1500, and 1600 Nomads, and my 1700 Nomad will run off and hide on both of them. I do, and did have exhaust, air cleaner and fuel processors on all 3 of them. My 1700 is just a much stronger bike,and heavier, also more comfortable.
58 years behind bars