Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-16-2014, 05:54 AM   #1

21in wheel and lowering it???

I did the wheel and I didn't lower it, so i was wondering why lower it? is it so the bike is back to its normal height? cause if not, its a little higher in the front and it feels heavier to. will lowering it make it feel better? or at least the front end maybe lighter? whatcha guys think??

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-16-2014, 06:38 AM   #2

It's not a big deal to lower it, I say do it and if you don't like the feel, raise it back up
V&H pro pipe
FI2000
custom intake
work in progress

Old 04-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy2232 View Post
I did the wheel and I didn't lower it, so i was wondering why lower it? is it so the bike is back to its normal height? cause if not, its a little higher in the front and it feels heavier to. will lowering it make it feel better? or at least the front end maybe lighter? whatcha guys think??
To lower the front end you have to take the fork spacers out and put shorter ones in.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
To lower the front end you have to take the fork spacers out and put shorter ones in.
they say just slide it down the fork tube an inch... I was just wondering it will make the front end feel like it did before, cause now it feels a bit heaver and if that's the way it is since the wheel that's fine i was just asking..

Old 04-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyers View Post
It's not a big deal to lower it, I say do it and if you don't like the feel, raise it back up
I know its not a big deal, lol but its just an inch and I was thinking that an inch isn't really a big deal so why do it?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #6

Anytime you raise or lower the front end you change the rake on the front end. Slightly, but it changes. Lowering the front will make it steer better. Less rake makes the front end feel lighter. If it were mine I'd lower it to close to where it was from the factory.

2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
VBA # 2395

Old 04-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #7

Quote:
WAAAAY too much work and entirely not necessary...The easier way is to raise the fork tubes in the triple trees.

Just make sure that there will be NO CONTACT between the fender/wheel to any part of the skoot with the forks fully compressed.

RACNRAY

Old 04-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Anytime you raise or lower the front end you change the rake on the front end. Slightly, but it changes. Lowering the front will make it steer better. Less rake makes the front end feel lighter. If it were mine I'd lower it to close to where it was from the factory.

thanks... but really do you think that the one inch will make that much of a difference? just in my head im not thinking it will be worth it. lol but if one inch will do it i guess i gotta...

Old 04-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy2232 View Post
thanks... but really do you think that the one inch will make that much of a difference? just in my head im not thinking it will be worth it. lol but if one inch will do it i guess i gotta...
I think it will make a noticeable difference. Like mentioned before, I wouldn't even open up the forks. Loosen up the triple trees and push them up through until they almost make contact with the bars. That should give you a 1.5" or so and would be very easy.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 04-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #10

I just called roaring toyz and they recommend 5/8 of an inch.... I just cant see that little making any difference..

Old 04-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #11

If raising the front end that small amount made it feel heavier and "different" doesn't it stand to reason that lowering it a small amount will make an improvement? Seems pretty cut and dry to me but then again I had to take geometry twice...

VBA Member # 02057

Old 04-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #12
Advanced Member

The slightest adjustments to suspension and steering geometry make a huge difference in the real world ( on the road ). Even an amount not able to be seen by the naked eye. Make the adjustments that Ray suggested and find out for yourself. He knows what he is talking about. I'm sure he has been then and done that.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #13

http://207.57.8.251/tools/rake_trail.html In case you're bored

Old 04-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #14

How would you describe "heavier". I am considering the swap to 21 when $$ in hand not only for looks but hoping to make the steering easier. Most all bikes I've owned of late have/had a 21" wheel that made turning easier, not like turning a Mack truck without power steering as it is now.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc6698 View Post
How would you describe "heavier". I am considering the swap to 21 when $$ in hand not only for looks but hoping to make the steering easier. Most all bikes I've owned of late have/had a 21" wheel that made turning easier, not like turning a Mack truck without power steering as it is now.
If you just want to make the steering easier, you can go with a narrower tire. When I went from a 150 to a 130 tire on my Nomad , it made a world of difference.

2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
VBA # 2395