Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-05-2021, 02:37 PM   #1

Question checking clutch fluid levels

Probably been asked before but after searching could not find it. Manual says check level of brake and clutch master cylinder fluid level with it in the horizontal position . So what exactly does this mean. Standing bike straight up or on the sides stand. Not clear to me. Thanks in advance

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-05-2021, 11:37 PM   #2

yes, they mean standing up....I check mine using a front wheel chock....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 06-06-2021, 02:01 AM   #3

I've always assumed it means with the reservoir level... And there's usually some way to turn the bars with the bike on it's stand to get that more or less on an even keel.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 06-06-2021, 12:23 PM   #4

Thanks DragonLady58 and Peg for the info. When you ask your service manager and he says that it is unclear and he doesn't know kinda makes you wonder.

Old 06-06-2021, 09:11 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Really? The service manager didn't have an answer? That is really sad. I'd expect any service manager to actually be someone who ACTUALLY did at least basic maintenance. And checking brake and clutch fluid levels is just basic maintenance. Like said, the bike itself does not need to be upright as long as the fluid reservoir can be positioned so the fluid in the reservoir is horizontal.

My bet is that "service" manager also has no clue how to a basic cable operated clutch adjustment on ANY bike, because again it is basic maintenance. Perhaps I'm expecting too much, but in 40+ years of wrenching on a wide assortment of bikes, self taught and self studied, my guess I know, and many here know, FAR more than that service manager.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-06-2021, 10:40 PM   #6

I am not sure if all service managers actually have maintenance experience or are mostly involved in the paper work and underwriting. When I take my bike in for work the mechanics in the shop are the ones that do all the work and have done a good job for me. I think that some service managers are more administrative now. Just an observation andyvh1959. That's why I ask questions here and always seem to get the answer from the Forum and it's members.

Old 06-07-2021, 02:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvh1959 View Post
Really? The service manager didn't have an answer? That is really sad. I'd expect any service manager to actually be someone who ACTUALLY did at least basic maintenance. And checking brake and clutch fluid levels is just basic maintenance. Like said, the bike itself does not need to be upright as long as the fluid reservoir can be positioned so the fluid in the reservoir is horizontal.

My bet is that "service" manager also has no clue how to a basic cable operated clutch adjustment on ANY bike, because again it is basic maintenance. Perhaps I'm expecting too much, but in 40+ years of wrenching on a wide assortment of bikes, self taught and self studied, my guess I know, and many here know, FAR more than that service manager.
I hope they read up about the 2 drain plugs.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 06-08-2021, 03:43 PM   #8

I've met mechanics that didn't know about the oil pump screen plug, that you can use it to drain oil....
I feel sorry for folks that can't find a decent mechanic for their metric VTwins....though it seems like theres a few startups where the mechanics are working their own shops now....
Its a laugh when you ask a service manager about a drive belt, and is at a total loss of words....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 06-08-2021, 04:41 PM   #9
Advanced Member

I am a home taught wrench, by no means am I a trained mechanic. But, I have studied and understand fuel/air balance, I understand the basics of fuel/air mass flow and velocity and how it is critical to performance. I understand spark control, and CDI operation. I have done carb mods. I have taken motorcycle engines (single, twins, inline fours) apart and back together running reliably. Even made my own leak-down tester to confirm combustion chamber, valve, cylinder and rings issues. My guess is I know, like many here, a lot more than many so called "service managers".

To me, a service manager that has never actually worked on an engine or bike, is like a trained engineer that never gets his/her hands dirty working on something. I have met many an engineer who are clueless how to do a simple oil change on their car.