Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #1

Oil Leak

Hello every one,

I was out for a ride this morning and the nomad was running great, got it home from the ride and all was well. then about three hours later got back on and went to meet a friend for a ride. stopped off to get gas and there was oil leaking out of the left crank case cover. not a lot but enough to worry me, called it a day and got it home. Any ideas what it might be?

Thank you for the help!
John

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #2

Oil Leak

Could you be a little more specific?

MT
VBA 936

Old 05-30-2011, 03:54 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Oil Leak

Yes need to know pretty much the exact location where the oil is leaking from.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 05-30-2011, 06:01 AM   #4

Oil Leak

John, if it's leaking from the left side cover around the side stand, it's more than likely the clutch push rod seal has slipped out of the crankcase cavity that it seats in. It's an easy fix if that is your leak source. If you suspect the pushrod seal is the source, remove the floorboard, shifters, and chrome cover. You will see the clutch slave cylinder. Unbolt the slave and you will see the pushrod and small seal that either worked its way out of the cavity or slipped into the crankcase. Normally they slide out towards the slave. Clean up the seal and the cavity and coat the outside of the seal with gasket adhesive. Slide it back in and seat it flush with the outside of the crankcase. There is no shoulder to prevent you from pushing it all the way in.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 05-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #5

Oil Leak

Sorry, that is was not specific enough. It is just that the wife will not let me do any work on the bike cause it is the only one I have and therefore says that it is off limits, yet I can do most of the work on our 2010 outback. But that is why I do not know exactly where the leak is coming from. Though I do believe that Cajunrider is probably right. I thank you all for the info and support I will see if I can find out the specifics a little better tonight and get back to you.

John

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #6

Oil Leak

John,,,, never tell strangers that your wife won't let you work on your motorcycle,,,,I mean never!!!! Even if it is true, never, never, never tell anyone!!!
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 05-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
Mega-Contributor

Oil Leak

Dollars to doughnuts it's the clutch slave cylinder pushrod seal. It's an easy (and common) fix.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Oil Leak

The left side cover can leak brake fluid from the clutch slave cylinder, and or, engine oil from the seal the slave cyl pushs, a rod all the way across to the clutch spring.

If it is engine oil, then the seal there backed out.

There is no 'land' so after you soak a tomahawk in the toliet to train your wife, who wears the pants, and stands up to pee, then just don't drive that seal past flush.

Your wife will be flushing something else and won't bother you for this easy fix.

You may need to pull both shifters after marking them and the bolts holding the shifter must come out completely.

You may have to removed the drivers floorboard, then the chromed case, which is a dry cover.

The hydralic clutch line will lead you to the slave.

One other thang..... Around here you can get far better advice than any dammned Dealer will give ya.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #9

Oil Leak

Unless it has warranty I never take my bike to the dealer. Most times they don't know up from down.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #10

Oil Leak

I agree with Mac and ringadhing 100%! The only cost will be you're time and some gasket adheshive!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Oil Leak

Took my drive shaft in my hand to a dealer whilw under warrenty. That was the 01 1500 Nade, and the U joint was mashed with 12,000 miles on it.

They made me put in the bad shaft again, and ride the bad shaft to the dealer for a new under warrentee shaft..

I went so far as to take out the new shaft just to check the work.

I found a different problem doing that. One head pipe gasket was correct and the other was WRONG. I wasn't pleased.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-31-2011, 09:24 AM   #12

Oil Leak

Well I took the cover off and found the leak. It is from where the bleed for the clutch in on the final drive case. The case aluminum part, (seal just behind it). That means I am guessing that it is not oil I am leaking but fluid from the clutch.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:46 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Oil Leak

I am confused with the terminology used. The final drive is located at the rear wheel hub.

The picture shows a wrench on the bleeder and swoppy arrows pointing all over the place. I am guessing you didn't make that picture but it came from a manual of some sort.

This leave 2 possibles. The engine case clutch push rod seal, which holds engine oil inside the engine......

OR the clutch slave cylinder dust boot and it's push piston seals are leaking brake fluid.

Brake fluid is a slighty yellow color new. I gets darker to be black due to bits of rubber seal particals very well used, but feels pretty icky on skin and will dry and crack skin if left for long enough. It will not smell like engine oil, or contain fuel bi-products as used engine oil does.

BF will eat paint too..... When it does it doesn't take long, and first the paint will wrinkle and bubble up.. SO be very carefull over all to never get BF on any paint you want to keep.

IF it is the slave leaking you need to rebuild it with new seals. That means the whole system will need a total fluid change, and to be bled out the same way any brakes are bled out.

The steps would be drain the slave into a jar with tubing on the bleeder.

Remove the master cover and remove the BF from it, many use a turkey baster.

Remove the feed line at the slave cly and put it on a bench, to take it apart.

Clean the piston with 400 grit wet dry paper, clean the bore with same, get it clean and real dry, n0o grit left. With rubber lube like Castrol Girli8ng rubber lube fit the seal to the piston, place a light film on the outter seal and press it in the slave bore. Pull the bleeder and clean it, add a smidgen of anti seize to the bleeder threads.

Check and inspect the clutch push rod engine case seal for a hint of engine oil leaking, just because you are there and have access.

If it is bad, or has backed out of the engine case, replace it, or clean it and use a gasket glue to re-install depending. Caution : there is no land, nothing to stop the seal from getting drive on the push rod into the engine.

Press it in place to flush with the engine case and not a fraction of a inch more!

Install the slave, the line, and add new BF bleed as you would on any car brakes.

Caution: the system is very small, so work the lever slower and easier that a brake pedal on a car. Use a wrench as a hammer and tap the slave cly, the line, all fittings, to get trapped air to move UP into the master and in to the rez as small but whole bubbles not foam.

Do Not work the lever so fast you create foam.

Still Ii am not really sure what you mean exactly, but I took a guess, and gave info on rebuilding the slave, and to check and replace a worn engine seal related.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-31-2011, 11:03 AM   #14

Oil Leak

macmac.
it is from the slave and will need replacing, now I am wondering if oil can mix in with the BF, I have not noticed a fall in the master levels. and I am sorry about the terminology.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:40 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Oil Leak

Huh? Engine oil can't get into the slave no how, no way bar nuthin.

BF leaking from the slave can't get in the engine oil in any meaningful way either, not even if the engie side oil seal is trashed.

A push rod a lot like any chevy V -8 push rod that runs chevy valves runs right thru the engine. The slave piston pushes on it from the left side as seated, and the other end pushes on the clutch basket and star spring that works as a pressure plate.

Maybe yer wife has a point But I didn't really say that...

Right now check your knuckels... They shouldn't have any hairs on them. If they do, go sand paper the hairs off quick!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac