Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #1

Ramblings of a winter's day ride.

Cool winter days I have to pick/watch weather forecast and correlate with my work schedule to catch those nice mild days to take the bike out. Yesterday was one of them.

During the winter when it's been a few weeks since got to ride ...when you get out on that bike it's sweetness all over again. Start it up...pull out of the garage and start down the road with that Nomad purring...it's a little bit of heaven.

A few houses down there are a few men raking leaves in their yards...their heads turn to watch that Nomad cruise by. See ya later guys.

Coming up on an intersection...you've got the green left turn light...quick look around and you just make a pretty sweeping left turn/ All the stopped vehicles at the intersection watch as you glide by. You know some are thinking..is she crazy...she's got to be cold....heated grips, leather, full face helmet....I'm cozy and having fun.

You think you're the only one out on a bike...just then you meet another brave soul...you give each other that big old wave of camaraderie for the road.

Then you hit your favorite country road. The one car in front of you turns off and it's clear sailing ahead. You glance in the mirrors to see the leaves swirling that you just went thru.

Home...again...park the bike in the garage....and as you turn the light off at the door...you glance back with a smile and think 'till next time. :)
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwind2
Cool winter days I have to pick/watch weather forecast and correlate with my work schedule to catch those nice mild days to take the bike out. Yesterday was one of them.

During the winter when it's been a few weeks since got to ride ...when you get out on that bike it's sweetness all over again. Start it up...pull out of the garage and start down the road with that Nomad purring...it's a little bit of heaven.

A few houses down there are a few men raking leaves in their yards...their heads turn to watch that Nomad cruise by. See ya later guys.

Coming up on an intersection...you've got the green left turn light...quick look around and you just make a pretty sweeping left turn/ All the stopped vehicles at the intersection watch as you glide by. You know some are thinking..is she crazy...she's got to be cold....heated grips, leather, full face helmet....I'm cozy and having fun.

You think you're the only one out on a bike...just then you meet another brave soul...you give each other that big old wave of camaraderie for the road.

Then you hit your favorite country road. The one car in front of you turns off and it's clear sailing ahead. You glance in the mirrors to see the leaves swirling that you just went thru.

Home...again...park the bike in the garage....and as you turn the light off at the door...you glance back with a smile and think 'till next time. :)
Beautiful, thanks for posting...
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 12-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to dabull

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!! ;)

Old 12-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #4

Very nice Nancy. Makes me want to ride. But.................
Cool winter days I look out the window and see snow.
Riding will come, in about 3 1/2 months.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

I went out yesterday and I can almost guarantee I was the only motorcycle on the road in my area... :)
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #6

Very nice.... I just got in myself.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 12-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Very nice write up Nancy, I really enjoyed it.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 12-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #8

I remeber those days from November and March when I lived in WV Nancy. You had to catch them as you could and they were always SWEET! Don't go to early and make sure you get home before sun starts down and watch for the occassional below freezing wet spot in the hollers and make sure you smell the wood burning stoves in the county! Ah yes good memories

We had Florida's version of that ride yesterday. It was clear sunny and 54 when we left Jacksonvile at 9:30 AM for Gainesville and the HD dealers Chili Cook off. It was too hot for a jacket at noon when we got there but the chili was still great and at 50 cents a bowl, plentiful. Manny's texas red was superb even if it did require a beer after each bowl.
The ride home was just as nice and warm enough for no jacket most of the way. I took a round about way finally coming up from St Augustine for about 30 miles along the ocean. Needed a jacket that last hour and thought to myself that I should have worn the gloves with fingers by the time I got home.
Artic cold supposedly coming in from the North tomorrow so maybe in cold weather gear next time I ride but the chilly fall days are the best!

2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 12-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #9

Sounds like you had a great ride, take them when you can get them. I was one of the guys raking the leaves this morning. ;)

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
Sounds like you had a great ride, take them when you can get them. I was one of the guys raking the leaves this morning. ;)
Ahhhh................. :-/
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 12-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #11

I got up this morning and started my machine also...... I pulled it up on the trailer and headed for the farm I hunt..... errr sorry it was my ATV ..... I watched as the snow swirled behind my truck... I unloaded and rode half way back to my treestand..... I sat and watched the wildlife frolic in the woods.... at about 10:30 I checked the weather on my phone and saw the wind chill was 10 degrees.... now thats not near as cold as it gets here but still a bit chilly to bow hunt..... all next week is going to be in the single digits at night and low 20's for highs.... I will be ice fishing next weekend for sure.....

I Will head to Fla on the 26th, I will have my Nomad in the trailer behind my truck.... When I get to Tallahassee Fla I'll unload the Nad and hope to do some riding that week, Last year it was in the 65 to 70 degree range.... the locals all said "ya ain't from round here r ya boy?" I replied "no" they stated it was too cold to ride..... I closed my eyes and thought of the weather at home... I responded "I guess I am just a dumb Yankee"

After a fun filled week of riding and drinking my in-laws booze, I returned home. When I backed the trailer in my drive way it was 3 degrees below zero. My buddy had plowed the 10 inches of snow from my driveway. I pushed the Nomad out of the trailer and into the garage where it sat until Late April. ..... I returned to Ice fishing....... guess I am just a dumb Yankee 65 is way warm enough to ride Merry Christmas everyone

Old 12-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Nice description. Stuff like this becomes the essence of legends.

Years from now, the imaginations of your great, great grandkids will be watching mental pictures as great, great grams (ggg) describes treks on her two-wheeled steed when others of lesser fortitude ventured timidly in their heated-seat, enclosed vehicles if they dared to venture at all.

And even those timid drivers abandoned the road to ggg lest they potentially incur the wrath of someone who held the boundaries of nature in such obvious contempt.

"Great Grams," they shall say, "Tell us again the story of your arctic rides!" And you, with a twinkle and smile, shall again paint the images that touch on the human spirit.

Or they might roll their eyes. Who knows? Kids!

Old 12-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #13
Advanced Member

I am one of the few in my area that rides year round. Only think that holds me back is the snow, ice, and damned salt they put everywhere.

At work, on the elevator up, with my riding gear, I have to answer the same questions every day:
  • Yes I rode.[/*:m:mjzbr346]
  • Yes it's cold.[/*:m:mjzbr346]
  • Because I love riding.[/*:m:mjzbr346]

Old 12-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #14

I get thew same questions, except for the addition of a question regarding my sanity or lack thereof ::)

Old 12-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #15

When I ride on the cold days, people ask me if it's cold. I say no, it's "refreshing".