Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 05-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #1

How does one "lay a bike down?"

Just curious, how does one go about laying down a bike when trying to avoid a collision? That's one they never taught me in the several riding classes I've had. We hear about it all the time but I would not have a clue how to do it, intentionally or correctly. Is it like turning and braking at the same time? Maybe locking the front wheel is how it's suppose to be done. My understanding is that the best and fastest way to stop you and the bike, or minimize impact, is with non-skidding rubber on the road. There may be exceptions.

(There have been some thoughts on this here in the past but thought I'd bring it up again, always interests me when I hear someone mention it, and its a cold rainy day here today.)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

It's called losing control. My guess is that whoever did it over reacted and locked the brakes causing the bike to slide. To save face, they said they did it on purpose and laid it down as that is preferable. Being on the ground on a highway doesn't seem like a god idea. You can slide under a vehicle and get messed up or run over. On top of that, you've given up control of the bike. I've gotten flak for saying this, but I stand by it.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 05-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #3

+1 ponch.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 05-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Ells: I cringe when I hear someone tell me about someone doing this.

Bottom line, if a crash is inevitable, keeping the brakes on will make an impact with whatever is in front of you at a much slower speed than sliding chrome along the highway before impact.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

I agree. There's a reason they don't teach you how to lay a bike down in MFS training. I have never heard anyone advocate laying a bike down as an acceptable maneuver.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #6

I agree with Ponch, if you're laying the bike down, you've lost control. Probably due to lack of skills resulting in panic and overbraking. Been there....done that...over 20 years ago I went down. In hindsight, I momentarily lost concentration, paniced, swerved and overbraked. Fortunately I survived to ride another day and hope I'm a lot wiser now.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #7

It didn't help when Arnold Schwarzenegger had an accident several years back and said "I laid it down like I learned..." Yeah, he learned for dramatics in the Terminator movies. Laying a bike down means you've lost all control. Best thing is full brakes just short of skidding. Metal (e.g. crash bars, gas tank, saddlebags, etc.) slide down the road a lot faster than tires with the brakes on.

The only situation I can think of where you'd want to lay a bike down is if you are going under a truck like in the movies. But then, just get your stuntman to do it. ;-)

Old 05-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
Advanced Member

What more is there to say? Paint and chrome and skin are not made to slow you down; rubber and brakes and brains are!

Old 05-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #9

Shoot ;), I thought someone would tell me how to do it. Maybe those folks don't visit the Safety Forum often. Always surprised how common the phrase is, " had to lay'er down", when someone explains their or an acquaintance's crash. Always glad to hear that they are around to tell about it though. However, it's those that aren't whose stories we should hear.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ells
Just curious, how does one go about laying down a bike when trying to avoid a collision?
That is a physical impossibility. The moment you go down you are in COLLISION with the road. How could anyone be stupid enough to voluntarily give up control of the situation by deliberately dumping a bike? And make no mistake ... it's dumping ... not laying down. The situation may be that a collision is inevitable ... But your only hope of avoiding said collision is to be upright, rubber down and able to maneuver if something changes and an out presents it's self. You have no control after you dump your bike.

The next time you hear some one promote "Laying a bike down" ... Do us all a favour ... If you're bigger, take him into a back room and beat the crap ... sorry, I mean beat some sense into the idiot ... Showing him the error of his ways ... ;)

Old 05-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Ok Ells, here goes:

when you have failed at eveything to avoid a collision, slam on your back brake and snap the bars in your favorite direction ( I prefer to kick the back end out to the right) then with body english force the back tire completely sideways and forward far enough as to not to "highside" it and lay it down.

slide under the vehicle you were trying to avoid so you will be killed instantly or if not low enough to slide under give the front grill/bumper area a big kiss!!!!!

When you come to and realize your with all of your dearly departed family and friends in the great reunion you'll ask yourself why you didn't stay upright and at least have a chance of going over the top of the vehicle unstead of underneath it!!

Crystal clear??

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #12

I've heard people talk about "Laid er down" and wondered why they did that. I never asked though. If your leg gets trapped between that heavy beast and the pavement it will be pretty thin once they separate that sandwich. My skin doesn't hold up very well to asphalt or concrete. The road always wins.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 05-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
Top Contributor

Most of the time when some guy says, "I had to lay 'er down.", it seems to be said with some kind of pride almost. It's like they believe that they really did the correct and macho thing.

It's almost impossible to convince them that maybe they didn't do the smart thing.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 05-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Ok Ells, here goes:

when you have failed at eveything to avoid a collision, slam on your back brake and snap the bars in your favorite direction ( I prefer to kick the back end out to the right) then with body english force the back tire completely sideways and forward far enough as to not to "highside" it and lay it down.

slide under the vehicle you were trying to avoid so you will be killed instantly or if not low enough to slide under give the front grill/bumper area a big kiss!!!!!

When you come to and realize your with all of your dearly departed family and friends in the great reunion you'll ask yourself why you didn't stay upright and at least have a chance of going over the top of the vehicle unstead of underneath it!!

Crystal clear??
Well said BD.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #15

Thanks BD, now we know.