Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > NorthWest Group

Old 02-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #1

REPLACEMENT CLUTCH DISCS

Where can i get performance friction plates for my1999 nomad 1500 in or near washington state. I do alot of two up riding with my wife and were both on the large side but i like to ride hard when iam solo riding . This last july took a ride to the run to the sun in soap lake at 112 degrees and long steep hills took a toll on my stock clutch I milked it through the riding season and here we are again almost riding season again if they wouldnt put that liquid deicer on the roads here i would have had my bike out IN JANUARY So being so near to riding season i need to cure my clutch slippage problem any info will help thanks HEAVYD

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Advanced Member

REPLACEMENT CLUTCH DISCS

... I'm not sure how far you might be from this vendor in Oregon, but I have heard they are good to deal with and could quite likely hook you up with the parts you need.. :)

http://www.shermscycleproducts.com/

Mike

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 02-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #3

REPLACEMENT CLUTCH DISCS

You can more than likely get by fine with the stock friction plates, it is the clutch spring that is the weak point here.
You can measure the plates and see if they are within spec before you go and replace them, but Im betting they will be fine.
The Meanstreak spring and Judges washers is a good way to go, or you can also use a Barnett spring, both are a great improvement over stock.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #4

REPLACEMENT CLUTCH DISCS

Hi Heavy D,

Here is a link to more info on the clutch spring that Ring was talking about.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/clutch_spring_replacement.htm

I am no mechanic but I would suspect the problem is the spring. It seems that the springs are a pretty consistent issue at different mileage depending on how hard you are on the clutch.

Many people on this site have replaced them..if you need help you can post a thread in the garage forum, or do a "search" on the site for previous posts. I have not replaced mine yet so I am of little help!

What town do you live in?

Welcome aboard...great people and tons of good info.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 02-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #5

REPLACEMENT CLUTCH DISCS

Hello all thanks for the info i havent checked spring yet i just didnt want to tear it down and find out i would have to wait a week before i could get friction discs i already plan on mean streak spring and judge washers gadjets fixit paige pointed me in the right direction for those components but dont the friction discs wear i have 35.000 miles on my 99 1500 nomad wouldnt it be good practice to just replace them?
p.s. i live in wenatchee wa.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
Advanced Member

REPLACEMENT CLUTCH DISCS

...Yes, they do wear somewhat, but its very rare to see them have to be replaced. I can recall hearing of a few that have done it but more than likely its the spring. I replaced my spring around 14k, added Judges washers and it hooks up better than ever! Good luck with it. :)

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
Mega-Contributor

REPLACEMENT CLUTCH DISCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyd
Hello all thanks for the info i havent checked spring yet i just didnt want to tear it down and find out i would have to wait a week before i could get friction discs i already plan on mean streak spring and judge washers gadjets fixit paige pointed me in the right direction for those components but dont the friction discs wear i have 35.000 miles on my 99 1500 nomad wouldnt it be good practice to just replace them?
p.s. i live in wenatchee wa.
Not likely the friction plates are bad after 35,000 miles, unless the bike has really been abused. Don't forget to order a clutch cover gasket along with the spring.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #8

REPLACEMENT CLUTCH DISCS

ANY GOOD OR BAD ABOUT BARNETT GORRILLA CLUTCH SET

Old 02-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
Mega-Contributor

REPLACEMENT CLUTCH DISCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyd
ANY GOOD OR BAD ABOUT BARNETT GORRILLA CLUTCH SET
I haven't installed or used one, but that's what I plan to replace my stock clutch with if it ever fails. I am very happy with the Barnett spring I installed nearly a year ago.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
Advanced Member

REPLACEMENT CLUTCH DISCS

Brian replaced his whole clutch assembly with a Gorilla, which includes some of the plates and you use some of the old plates and a spring. He had changed his spring 5 or 6 times (3 times in one summer) and got tired of doing that, so he just changed out the whole thing. His clutch works fine although it is a much stiffer pull.

We have bought a lot of stuff from Sherms and they are good people to deal with.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #11

REPLACEMENT CLUTCH DISCS

Wenatchee is a beautiful area. I hope to be through there this year. Maybe meet face to face?
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 02-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #12

REPLACEMENT CLUTCH DISCS

That would be awesome always looking for a reson to ride !

Old 02-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #13

REPLACEMENT CLUTCH DISCS

I had about 40,000 miles on my bike when I changed the spring, I measured all the plates and most readings with the calipers showed almost no wear to only a couple thousands. But you could see quite easily where the spring was worn.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #14

REPLACEMENT CLUTCH DISCS

ok changed my clutch did a oops though forgot to secure clutch lever now i cant seem to get my clutch to disengage all the way i have put almost a pint of dot 4 through the slave trying to get it back cant seem to make any headway (put barnett carbon fiber disc set i n and barnett heavy duty spring ) no more slippage but pull up to a light and she just wants to go o and put karakyn iso grips any help would be awesome thanks heavyd

Old 03-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #15
Advanced Member

REPLACEMENT CLUTCH DISCS

I'm thinking that if you have some extra free play at your clutch lever, or a spongy feeling lever, then you may some air in the system and that is why its not releasing completely. If thats not the problem, perhaps you have installed the new clutch incorrectly. The outer friction plate in your clutch pack fits into slightly offset notches in the clutch basket. Do you recall noting this? The only other thing I can think of is if the steel plates are to thick in the clutch pack. I'm not sure if you replaced them or not. Some do, some don't. There are different thicknesses available. Anyhoo, I sure don't know for sure whats wrong but these might give you something to look for. And also your ISO grips should not cause any probs with the clutch action. Lots of us have them. Good luck with finding the problem. :)

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17