Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 04-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #16

Picking up a dropped Nomad

A guy around the corner who has never ever been on a bike in his life decided to buy a 105th anniversary HD Roadglide this Friday. His cousin brought it home for him and within the hour he already had it fall over in the garage. I think I'll teach him how to pick it back up since I have a feeling he's still got some learning to do.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #17
Top Contributor

that would be nice of you, just don't let him ride yours.
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish
that would be nice of you, just don't let him ride yours.
I don't even want to ride near this guy this season. My brother seen him on it yesterday and said he was very awkward on the bike.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #19

First thing, thanks for the info and the videos, I haven't dropped a bike yet but I figure one day, Murphys Law...
& Ring one question.. doesn't Ontario have manditory motocycle course like here in "La Belle Province"? I took mine to get my licence and don't understand anyone who wouldn't get a least a minimum of knowledge before getting on a bike. Too much stuff to know and too easy to f... up and crash.
2012 Ebony Black Kawasaski Concours 14

Old 04-26-2010, 11:18 PM   #20

I don't think its mandatory but your allowed to ride alone during daylight hours before you go for your test. You can also do your course during this time as well. When I got my licence there was no such thing as a course. You were only allowed to drive to the test sight on that day, and if you failed you had to have someone with a valid licence get the bike home for you.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-27-2010, 06:46 AM   #21

Depends on how embarrassed you are and who is around. The butt-push -up is easiest on your frame. However I usually grab both handlebars, crouch and put my hip into the side of the bike then lift it up. Last time I was in such a hurry to lift it up off the right side that I forgot to put the kickstand down prior to the lift. So I played dead guy on a horse to balance the bike and used my hand to put the kick stand down.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #22

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have dropped other bikes, but the Nomad is by far the heaviest bike I have owned. I am sure that all of us who have yet to join this "been there done that club" appreciate the insight.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 05-31-2010, 10:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Last time I was in such a hurry to lift it up off the right side that I forgot to put the kickstand down prior to the lift. So I played dead guy on a horse to balance the bike and used my hand to put the kick stand down.
priceless just visualizing that one.

After a 10 hour ride on the Volusia I got to the border station tired and forgot to put the kickstand down as I was leaning across to give the gal my passport. That's why I was laughing at the quote because that's exactly what I looked like hanging over the bike as it slammed in under her window.

That was in 2005 and I have not dropped one since but surely I will.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 06-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #24
Advanced Member

Well
I know this is not the proper way nor have I tried it but last week I was talking to a guy on a Harley and he claims there is another way....he claimed it is easier...I don't think I would try this unless I had no options...
and I Quote...."Staddle the bike pull up until the rear tire is touching (if no crash bars) start the bike, put it in gear, turn steering in the opposite direction of the fall and simply release the clutch as if you were starting out for a ride and the bike will naturally pop up"
In that it does make some sense I do not think I would try it simply due to the fact that the bike may end up on the other side instead up just landing normally.
This is something I might try on a dirt bike but I agree the best way is walking it up as in the video.
Thoughts? Hehe :) this is going to be good

Clayton
2008 1600 Nomad
VBA #01332

Old 07-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #25

Dropped mine for the first time today. Trying to navigate a U turn on a road with a steep grade (incline U turn to decline) and dropped the bike right in the middle of the U.

Crash bars did their job protecting the hard bags. It fell kickstand side down so I had to do a little balancing act to get the kickstand down after I pulled the bike up. Once it was up, even the crash bars didn't have any scratches on them, so I was darn lucky.

I've had the bike a month and put 400 miles on it, and today was the wake up call that I needed telling me I had put off parking lot practice for far too long. So, I spent 15 minutes in a local lot before I made my way into the world.

I plan on wrapping the four crash bars with something (tennis racket handle wrap or radiator hose - haven't decided yet) for the rest of the season in preparation for the more involved parking lot practice sessions.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #26

Watch Jerry 'Motoman" Palidino's Ride like a Pro #4 video, there's a lesson in that Video too. It shows a woman picking up a Harley RK.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #27

Ride Like a Pro IV shows you all you need to know. A Girl Demonstrates.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #28

I find some swearing helps it up too!

Old 02-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #29

Here's a couple different ways that Ride Like A Pro shows. One is the traditional back-against the bike way... while the second is slightly different from the kick-stand side.

There is also mention of carrying a strap with you to help. You'll see in the video.

You'll see a women pick up the heavy HD tourer also at the end.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 02-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #30
Mega-Contributor

I dropped mine last August at the summit of Hwy 14 in Utah right near Cedar Breaks Nat'l Monument. I pulled off the road to take some photos and misjudged the slope, went to put my foot down and there weren't nothing there to put my foot down on. Over she went and it was laying on the right side with the wheels pointed uphill. I didn't think I'd be able to hoist it up alone in that position. I guess I stood there with a dumb*ss look on my face until a pickup truck with 4 bow hunters in it pulled off and helped me. Yes, it was embarrassing, and I am a big, strong guy, but I didn't even want to try to lift it myself. Good thing, too because once we stood it up on the kickstand, it wasn't stable and still wanted to fall over. They held it up for me while I made my way to the left side, where I could start it up and ride up to level ground.

It's not just a newbie mistake.

Hell, I know a guy who tipped over his V2K in his garage and it pinned him against his truck until he got his wife's attention to go get a neighbor for help.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17