Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-07-2014, 11:28 PM   #1

Vaquero Headlight Bulb Replacement

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I want to replace the factory bulb in my Vaquero with something a little brighter. Does anyone have any good experience with a replacement bulb? I don't want to spend the time with a HID conversion, just a bulb replacement. Part numbers would be appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-08-2014, 01:05 AM   #2

I put an H4 Cree cob led bulb from Ebay in my Voyager headlight - in an attempt to get the color a better match with the 6000K LED's I have in my turn signals and fog lamps.

It's a simple swap, and so far I like the light much better than halogen. The LED Cob's are placed to match the light from the OEM halogen, so because of that the light pattern is much better than any HID conversion (in my opinion anyway).

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 04-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #3

just got an email about these today....kinda pricey though as I did not pay quite as much for my HID conversion

http://shop.beseenatnight.com/other.html

Fusion's LED Headlight

Old 04-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #4

Are these lights a plug n play for the Vaquero?

Old 04-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #5

will an led bulb work with a modulator?

--
VBA# 2604
2012 Vaquero
1998 ACE Tourer - Deceased

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #6

Yesterday was the first day back in the saddle, and saw a couple HD's with LED head lights, what a difference. Saw this link http://www.electricalconnection.com/.../led-hl-h4.htm Has anyone tried these in a Nomad. My concern is the fan that is a part of cooling LED's. Is the headlight bucket deep enough? This one seems less expensive than the bee seen at night.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Are these lights a plug n play for the Vaquero?
If you're asking me... They should be - there were plug n play for my Voyager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calldavid View Post
Yesterday was the first day back in the saddle, and saw a couple HD's with LED head lights, what a difference. Saw this link http://www.electricalconnection.com/.../led-hl-h4.htm Has anyone tried these in a Nomad. My concern is the fan that is a part of cooling LED's. Is the headlight bucket deep enough? This one seems less expensive than the bee seen at night.
In the Voyager, the fan fits tight up against the back of the rubber shroud behind the bulb. I only just got it on there. So I'd say it is no longer than the original halogen bulb with the plug behind it.

You'll only have to find room in the bucket for the wee transformer. In the VV I stuck it to the inside of the fairing with double-sided tape. I used to have a full sized garage door opener in my Nomad light bucket, so there should be room in there for it somewhere... zip tied to the loom maybe?

I just got a pair on Ebay for around $100. That way I have a spare.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 04-14-2014, 08:18 AM   #8

I did the following in My nomad. Really a good buy at NAPA. Voyager I now have am running HID. This bulb is awesome and last forever http://www.gadgetjq.com/headlight_replacement.htm

Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 AM   #9

I replaced my headlight bulb last week. Used the Fusion LED Bulb. Ridden a couple evenings now and I am very happy with it. It was almost "plug and play". Had to fashion a way to hold it in. The clip that held the stock bulb in place would not fit due to the fan system on the back of the LED bulb. I had already put a HID system on my bike about a year ago. This LED is almost twice as bright as the HID.
See if I can put a link here to the bulb,
http://shop.nightflasherleds.com/mot...ight-bulb.html
V&H ProPipe, Thunder big air kit, Ivanized ECU.
Ray's throttle mod, ISO grips, 4" risers, rear light mods
Mustang Touring seat
400 watt Alpine Amp with 6.5 Kickers
Fusion LED Headlight

VBA # 02224
VROC # 2702

Godfather

Old 08-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaqman View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed, but I want to replace the factory bulb in my Vaquero with something a little brighter. Does anyone have any good experience with a replacement bulb? I don't want to spend the time with a HID conversion, just a bulb replacement. Part numbers would be appreciated.
I used Daniel Stern Lighting....he's kinda a guru.

I've converted several cars, trucks and a honda shadow Sabre 1100 to HID kits...I was never pleased with the results...mostly just pissed off other drivers, and looked cool, but never actually helped my view of the road, specially on a motorcycle where either the low or high beem worked, but getting both aimed was impossible.

here is my email consult with him and some links re: headlight/lighting modifications

Me: What lightbulbs do you recommend for my bike? I dont want to overpay for a gimmick and have done HID kits
on bikes before and wasnt happy with the outcome...looked
cool but actually made it more difficult to see at night
due to glare, reflections on signage etc

Daniel Stern: Right. "HID kits" in halogen-bulb headlamps or fog/auxiliary lamps (any kit, any lamp, any vehicle no matter whether it's a car, truck, motorcycle, etc.) do not work safely or effectively, which is why they are illegal. See http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html . Same goes for "LED conversion" bulb kits. Send me your make, year and model and I will get back with you

Best DS

ME: '11 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 vaquero

Him: Very good. Use an Osram 70/65w bulb, $21.59. Produces 2000/1350 lumens, high/low beam (stock = 1510/910)

HOW TO ORDER:

Orders may be sent via e-mail. You may also voicemail or fax your order toll-free on 1-866-861-8668. Please note this is a secure recorded orderline only.

PLEASE INDICATE:

- The vehicle(s) for which the parts are being ordered,

- The items you wish to purchase,

- The address to which you want the items shipped if it differs from the billing address,

- Your telephone number, and

- The type of shipping you wish.

All items are warehoused in the USA. Priority Mail or FedEx or UPS ground shipping is standard on shipments within the US; all other service levels are available on request. Shipments to
Canada go via Priority Mail unless otherwise specified.

Please also state whether the delivery driver has your permission to leave the parcel at your doorstep if you are not available to accept and sign for it in person, though be advised PayPal and most credit card processors including mine require signed delivery for shipments over a certain value; waiving the signature waives all buyer _and_ seller protection for the transaction.

PAYMENT METHODS:

I accept Visa, Mastercard, and Discover. Orders are processed securely and customer card info is never retained after processing your order.

The following information is required in order to process a credit card order:

Card number
Expiry date
CVV code (last group of 3 or 4 digits on back of card)
Your name as it appears on the card
Billing address
Phone number

I also accept PayPal. If you wish to use PayPal, please send your shopping list and I will send you a PayPal invoice from which to pay. Please _do not attempt_ to pay by PayPal until you have received a PayPal invoice for your order.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Highest Regards,

Daniel Stern

Old 08-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #11
Advanced Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50W-CREE-LED...6a3632&vxp=mtr

Thats I what have on my Nomad 1700 and very happy with it

The module DOES not fit inside the bucket... so it was mounted behind the headlight bucket and works fine
Nomad 2010
Voyager trunk
Alleycat intake / YVANIZE ECU, Freedom performance 2 into 1
Kuryaken grip with Throttle mod
lost of chrome add on
Sound digital 1200.4 2 ohm
6 x 9 MPX 690 Hertz in custom fairing
6.5 hcx hertz speakers in hard bags
6.5 MPX hertz in pods

Old 08-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by element80 View Post
I used Daniel Stern Lighting....he's kinda a guru.
ME: '11 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 vaquero

Him: Very good. Use an Osram 70/65w bulb, $21.59. Produces 2000/1350 lumens, high/low beam (stock = 1510/910)
Do you have the part number for that bulb? I run a headlight modulator (which I AM NOT giving up, it works!), so my options are a little limited.

How many miles have you put on the bulb? I saw a few comments about lifespan concerns, but I also understand brighter bulb = less life, all other things being equal.

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 08-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
Do you have the part number for that bulb? I run a headlight modulator (which I AM NOT giving up, it works!), so my options are a little limited.

How many miles have you put on the bulb? I saw a few comments about lifespan concerns, but I also understand brighter bulb = less life, all other things being equal.

have no idea, still waiting on bulb to be delivered, i expect it today or tomorrow...the stock bulb is still working but dimming some, i plan on hanging onto it for back up

danielsternlighting.com

Last edited by element80; 08-01-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:12 AM   #14

I have the Harley LED set in my voyager, for both headlight and spot lights, will never use HID again, I also have a spare headlight housing and spotlights with the cree led bulbs in them, mostly for spare, the price on the harley was high and required a lot of modification to the stock housing, on the other hand the Cree off EBay were plug and play and a total of around $70 for all the bulbs, shipping included. They are so good that the local police force replaced all the Halogen in their bikes with the cree ones
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 08-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #15

I just put one of these in my Vaquero...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131230866653...S:1123&vxp=mtr

Don't bother with it. The light pattern it gives off in the stock headlight bucket has a huge hole in the middle. I contacted the vendor, and he is willing to exchange for the new style (not sure what changed) or give me a refund. I have opted to try the new style. Will report when i have something to report.