Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 09-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
Mega-Contributor

Hometown Pride

I had an idea about having members post pictures of their hometowns. I don't mean "I live in Arizona and here's a picture of the Grand Canyon", I mean pictures of your immediate locale. So I'll start it off...

This morning I rode out on the west side of Phoenix to inspect a Nomad for sale to help a friend in another state. My journey took me to an area of the Valley I haven't spent much time in. I rode around some and saw Phoenix International Raceway, Goodyear Airport - where they must do aircraft maintenance or something because I saw a lot of commercial jets there, and I took a detour to South Mountain Park.

South Mountain Park is the largest municipal park in the country, It's a small mountain range a few miles south of downtown Phoenix. It's just desert wilderness, basically. They have hiking trails and equestrian trails, and some view areas that were probably built by the WPA during the Great Depression.

So, without further adieu, here's some photos of the Phoenix area I took from about 3300' atop South Mountain:

Here is the communication antenna array high atop South Mountain (probably another 500' above the place I was standing):

Downtown Phoenix, looking to the north (at the lower right of the downtown area, that odd shaped building is Chase Field, home of the AZ Diamondbacks):

Looking NE, Camelback Mountain is near Paradise Valley and Scottsdale (that's Sky Harbor Int'l Airport in the foreground):

Here's one of the lookout structures I mentioned earlier:

I hope you enjoyed my little photo tour of Phoenix from South Mountain Park.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #2

Hometown Pride

Great pics Scott. I'll take some around here and post them after the weather clears up. We have a tropical system in the Gulf just off of the Texas coast which has been dumping plenty of rain over here.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 09-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #3

Hometown Pride

Hey scott thanks i havent seen that part of the country since 77 i got to play on camel back mountian for two weeks long time ago

National Rally 2009 - Custer, SD
NorthCentral Regional Rally 2010 - Prairie du Chien, WI
National Rally 2011 - Maggie Valley, NC

Old 09-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #4

Hometown Pride

Great idea CJ! I've been thru your airport a few times. Now I'll be able to know what I'm lookin at.

Photobucket link in sig pic gives a good indication of what is out my back door with photos of about 30 minutes of riding before my batteries died. Click on Skeeter24510 in upper left in photobucket and you link to other albums. Austin ride has some good photos of countryside in last half especially. When I get my camera going I'll do more local and put up another link. It's raining here too at the moment.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 09-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #5

Hometown Pride

West Michigan is my area. Nice sandy beaches, shore line roads and good sunsets.
Mackinaw Bridge
Northern Shoreline.
Tahquamenon Falls.
The only Michigan state park to allow alcohol.
Leland Wine Festival June.
Nice view.
The best in summer sunsets..

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-14-2009, 08:28 AM   #6

Hometown Pride

Cool pics guys. My grandfather helped with the building of the Mackinaw bridge. I hope to get there one day.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 09-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #7

Hometown Pride

An entry for the Houston metropolitan area. Each of these locations is but a few miles from my house in Pasadena:

First a shot of the San Jacinto Monument commemorating the battle where Texas Independence from Mexico was secured.

(Trivia note: the San Jacinto Monument is taller thant he Washington Monument in Washington D.C.)

And another shot of Lucille at the entrance of the Johnson Space Center in recognition of the efforts that led to man's independence from gravity.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Hometown Pride

I've toured the Johnson space center LW it was very informative and cool.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #9

Hometown Pride

Wow, Thanks Scott. I haven't seen that lookout since we visited my aunt when I was a kid. Is that so called "mystery house" still out there somewhere. My uncle told us stories about a house that had fake walls and hidden passages in it. Have an old photo of it somewhere that we took from the end of the long driveway. I remember we drove by it the same day we went to the South Mountain.

Now I gotta get some pics.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #10
Mega-Contributor

Hometown Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Wow, Thanks Scott. I haven't seen that lookout since we visited my aunt when I was a kid. Is that so called "mystery house" still out there somewhere. My uncle told us stories about a house that had fake walls and hidden passages in it. Have an old photo of it somewhere that we took from the end of the long driveway. I remember we drove by it the same day we went to the South Mountain.

Now I gotta get some pics.
Yeah it's still there (at least I've seen the signs for it), but I'm not sure where it is. I don't get to that part of town very often.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #11

Hometown Pride

This is a view of downtown Denver from my condo

And here is Downtown from the other side.