Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #1

Problems with my iPod Adaptor

Here is the situation: I am using an iPhone 5c on my Voyager. I have the Kawasaki iPod Adaptor installed and I use an Apple 0.2m 30 pin-Lightning cable and because of this I do not use the foam insert.

Now the problem: Sometimes the audio playback from the phone will just stop. Sometimes it is when I start the bike up and sometimes it is when I am going down the road. Usually unplugging the phone (after stopping) will cause the audio playback to resume at the place where it stopped but sometimes I have power down the phone and start it back up. Even when the audio playback is interrupted the phone continues to charge.

Some of the problem was, I think, due to the wires in the Apple cable getting kinked. I replaced the cable with a new one and the frequency of the problem has decreased but it has not gone away. Sometimes on the phone I get a message that "This accessory is not supported", which I assume refers to the Kawasaki adaptor.

So, at long last, my question: Has anyone else experienced something similar or is it just me? I know there is a 30 pin-Lighning adaptor which is a solid unit but I have not tried that due to concerns over the tight clearances in the storage area on the dash. Any information would be welcome.

Physics & Astronomy Teacher
Boulder High School
Boulder, Colorado

Mysteriously, wonderfully, I bid farewell to what goes, I greet what comes; for what comes cannot be denied, and what goes cannot be detained. --Master Chuang--

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-29-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
Advanced Member

I had similar issues . . . Yes minimize the kinking in the line . . . But I also found that minimizing the vibration helped much more . . . I trimmed down my foamy, taped the rectangular part of the adapter into it, and then taped the connection from the Kawi adapter to the 30 pin end of the lightning adapter . . . When I hook it up, I pull the lightning end through, connect it, and gently push it back in until I can close the glove box. Doing it this way makes only one unsecured connection - the lightning connection, but having the phone secured in the foamy, makes it less susceptible to vibrations and vibration disconnect issues.

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
Heat Deflectors (from ebay)
CB/Rear Speakers
Avon grips with Throttle Magic by RACNRAY
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors
Sagebrush Design tank bib w/pouch
Russell Day Long Seat w/Backrest
Lots of Miles and Many More Smiles!

Blue Knights - Virginia II
Ride With Pride

Old 06-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #3

I have a similar problem with my Ipod nano. Every now and then I have to take it out and unplug it then reconnect it. Then it works fine till the next time. Sometimes it gets pissy and gives me a hard time reconnecting.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 07-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #4

After seemingly killing another 30 pin-Lightning cable I have gone for a cheaper solution. I bought a 3rd gen iPod Nano (which uses the 30 pin connector) at Easy Pawn for $30. This looks like it will take care of the problem.

Boulder High School
Boulder, Colorado

Mysteriously, wonderfully, I bid farewell to what goes, I greet what comes; for what comes cannot be denied, and what goes cannot be detained. --Master Chuang--

Old 08-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #5

I used a little dielectric grease on the plugs and try paging through the am fm and back to acc then mine restarts playing.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-03-2014, 02:42 AM   #6

Aren't the iPods still using a hard drive as opposed to a solid-state drive? My MP3 player has an SSD, tried using one with a HDD and they just don't take the vibration.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #7

I was having the same problem using an iPod Nano in my 2012 Voyager. After randomly having to stop and unplug and replug it when it would stop I tried putting i
An elastic lengthways around the plug and iPod. It has been more than a year and lots of riding since I have had the issue. Seems the plug must work just loose enough to break the connection.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
Aren't the iPods still using a hard drive as opposed to a solid-state drive? My MP3 player has an SSD, tried using one with a HDD and they just don't take the vibration.
The iPod Classic is the only one currently using a spinning hard drive. The iPod Touch, Nano and Shuffle all use SSD.

Boulder High School
Boulder, Colorado