Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #1

???turn singal flash rate???

in process of changing all lights to LED..i have one load eq on it and really love the little bit faster rate...its not way out there but a little faster
The question is will it hurt to flash a little fast? went for a ride today and all seemed ok..no problems with self cancelling and same rate on both sides.. i can add another load eq but would rather leave it like it is as long as it wont hurt anything.
Crab

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #2

It won't hurt anything, the worst thing that can happen is that your flasher won't last as long, since it will flash more, but Ive never heard of one of them failing yet. Most likely it will last longer than you will own the bike.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #3

sweet..glad to hear that..its not alot faster but just enough that i like it better..took front signals off..added Rivco mirror with turns..then took rear ones off...added a curved tag frame with turns.and then done autozone leds at saddlebags...really like the clear and brighter look..and if i dont get a ticket i will be runnin the hyperlights drivin lights during day..
Crab

Old 12-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #4

I'll be switching my turn signals and brake lights to led's in the spring, it will take some of the drain away from the charging system.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #5

60-120 flashes per minute is the general rule. In my Google searching, a site for Massachusetts' "Procedures for Inspection of Motorcycles" came up and specifically mentions this rate.
formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #6

I agree with Steve, the flasher control unit speed is based on the load. Burn out a bulb it will flash twice as fast and there is no warning in the manual that this condition will harm the unit.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #7

Steve, although LEDs do use less power, the load equalizer does put back some of the load that the LEDs removed. Where I saw my biggest drop in the load on the charging system is when I switched to the HID headlight, and earlier this year, I switched my spotlights out to the Custom Dynamics LED sunspots. The front end of my bike is very bright, and switching the spots on and off changes the charge rate zero amount. The sunspots are expensive, but I got a set from a girl that had them, and switched them to the HD type of LEDs to match her head light for less than 1 would cost new.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 12-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #8

You can replace the stock flasher with an electronic flasher and keep the standard flash rate as well as regain the advantages of LEDs' low power consumption.

The only trade off is you lose the self-cancelling feature. Something I never relied on anyhow. Quite honestly, you may be able to find one for a motorcycle that does have that feature.???

Here's the tutorial I wrote for the 1600 Nomad, but the Vaquero was much easier. Since the Vaquero/Voyager have separate dash lights for Right versus Left signal indicators, all you have to do is change the flasher. NO soldering, like the Nomad required. - In these instructions, you stop after step I. Nothing else!
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=15918
formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Old 12-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE View Post
Steve, although LEDs do use less power, the load equalizer does put back some of the load that the LEDs removed. Where I saw my biggest drop in the load on the charging system is when I switched to the HID headlight, and earlier this year, I switched my spotlights out to the Custom Dynamics LED sunspots. The front end of my bike is very bright, and switching the spots on and off changes the charge rate zero amount. The sunspots are expensive, but I got a set from a girl that had them, and switched them to the HD type of LEDs to match her head light for less than 1 would cost new.
I realize that, but I think I will still be ahead, since I'm running six 2057's at the rear and the two at the front, plus stereo and gauges.
My biggest voltage drop was when I replaced my driving lamps with 55 watt halogen bulbs. They like to suck the power. I'll take a look at the lights you mentioned and perhaps get a set, especially if it cuts down on the voltage draw a lot.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #10

thanks for all the replies..im leaving it alone for now then.