Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Images & Video

Old 07-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #31
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Maybe a little, just trying to make a point. If you don't mind hearing language like the Fbomb from these kids in the streets then more power to you. I guess you have been desensitized like most of the youth and a lot of the adults in our society.
When you hear an "adult" cursing and using "just words" in front of their 3 year olds it is no wonder this country is going down the toilet socially.
Of course they are going to say what their parents say. That is who they learn from.
If you are sensitive, stop reading here Please.
This is directed at Chris who says get over it, it is just a word.
If someone walks up to you and your wife or girlfriend or significant other and says to them, "hey cocksucker, how are you?" Do you look at her and say, don't worry about it honey, it is just a word.

Exactly , and no one calls out a person on their actions so it just keeps on getting worse everyday.
Then when someone does say something, like I did, they are cast as to sensitive, I mean come on it is just a word.
OK this is my last post on the subject.

This can't be your last post on this subject.

'to' sensitive should be 'too' sensitive.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Loafer; 08-01-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Would it have mattered if it said, "No SEX, No Ride"? It's just 4 letters. C'mon people. Times change. The word you think is "bad" today will be a normal word next year. 100 years ago, NOBODY said "damn". 25 years ago, I was shocked to hear my grandfather say it (once). I watched a popular mainstream TV show the other day and I heard "shit" at least twice. Get over it, guys. Once again, IT'S JUST A WORD.
Words are not just words. If I was in a movie theater in Colorado this week and stood up and spoke just one word, "SHOOTER!", do you think it would have no effect on others?
You are right that over times people's standards change. But that doesn't mean it is change for the better. There is nothing wrong with trying to maintain decency in civilization. Much can be said about the decline in civilization being related to the acceptance of a general lack of respect for others. This is what is apparently meant by the offensive(to some) message on the bike. The message is just as offensive as the manner it is presented. The words only amplify the lack of respect to others.

Yoda
VBA #01311
SCRC Chapter 289
07 Nomad

Old 07-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #33
Top Contributor

Quote:
This is directed at Chris who says get over it, it is just a word.
If someone walks up to you and your wife or girlfriend or significant other and says to them, "hey cocksucker, how are you?" Do you look at her and say, don't worry about it honey, it is just a word.
I HAVE been a bit desensitized to it. You forget where I work. :)

I try to cuss as little as possible but yes, they are just words. If I had a girlfriend and one of her friends came up and said, "Hi ya dumbass" and she got upset, I'd tell her to get over it. If someone was truely calling her names, it would be a different story. I wouldn't be upset because of the words they used but because they were insulting her. I discouraged my son not to cuss. If he did (and there were times he swore a blue streak), I didn't get upset. I just told him he had to be careful where he used those words as some people don't like them. If I got upset every time an inmate cussed, I'd be......well, I don't know. I get cussed at every day. When I walk up to a buddy of mine, sometimes I refer to him with a cuss word. Just not a big deal to me. The only things verboten in my house are taking the Lords name in vain. If I know someone doesn't like to hear those words, I do my best to refrain from saying them around those people. That's just respect.

Bottom line is this. If I use the word "cocksucker" in front of a woman and I'm just using the word, she should get over it. If I'm actually saying she sucks cocks, I'm wrong.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 07-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #34

I wonder if mr Croatia thought he was starting such a controversy. Lol
That's whats great about America. There are still a few people trying to get back to our moral roots and fighting the tide all the way. One person at a time,we can do it!

Old 07-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #35
Sr. Contributor

He's probably gone for a ride, thinking what idiots those Americans are.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #36
Mega-Contributor

Free speech means all speech, not just the speech you personally agree with. It's all or none, folks. Like my mom used to say "sticks and stones..."
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #37

A civil society needs moral standards other wise we'd be like everyone else.
Correct,free speech is free speech , but there is a time and place. And so if anything goes,so goes the culture. Look around at the current generation,can you imagine what the generation following this one will look like?

Old 07-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Free speech means all speech,"
OK I lied. It wasn't my last post.
It most certainly does not. Thinking like yours is one of the reasons society in this country is in the crapper.
As with all things, there has to be a line drawn, a cut off point of some kind.
Do you think it is OK to yell FIRE in a crowed theater?
Look at the people who disagreed with the way scionO was treated by the poster who was only, by your standards, expressing his right to free speech.
There must be consideration and respect for other people.
Unfortunately, that has been lost somewhere along the way.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
I HAVE been a bit desensitized to it. You forget where I work. :)
Yes I did forget your job.
But, that is in a controlled,shielded environment, not out in the general public.
I still have to believe most of the general public would not consider foul language as "just words".
The problem is no one will stand up for what they believe.
As Edmund Burke said;
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing."

VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #40
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Free speech means all speech, not just the speech you personally agree with. It's all or none, folks. Like my mom used to say "sticks and stones..."

"A right is the sanction of independent action. A right is that which can be exercised without anyone’s permission.

If, before undertaking some action, you must obtain the permission of society—you are not free, whether such permission is granted to you or not. Only a slave acts on permission. A permission is not a right."

AR
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 07-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #41

I bet he picks up a lot of GUYS that way:(

I think a moderator should remove that picture or the whole post---doesn't that break the rules?

Sam
Read John 3:16

2008 Suzuki C109R, 2010 Honda NT700, 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125

Old 07-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #42

The whole bike is just plain ugly. That's where I stand on the issue being discussed.

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 07-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #43
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrazjgraz View Post
You hit the nail on the head,,we keep lowering the bar in society. Anything goes now..there are no standards and no reprecussions to ones actions.
To me that sign shows a lack of respect and education,it's crude.
And I wonder how many females ( or males,not sure who he's targeting) he actually gets from it.

I agree completely with your comment about lowering the bar in society. Thats a BIG part of this countries problems.
However I also agree that you should have the right to speak your mind...the problem is I would also hope one would be mature and respectful enough to know when to keep their mouth or opinions to themselves. Sort of like a few years back during bike week I had stopped at a Burger King on the way to daytona. I wasn't in daytona, I was about half way between jacksonville and daytona so i wasn't in the middle of bikeweek but you still saw alot of people heading to or leaving bikeweek. Anyway there was a guy in there with a shirt that said somethig like "Shut The F*#K UP" in big letters. It just sort of rubbed me the wrong way, in daytona during bikeweek I wouldn't give it a second look or thought, but in burger king where there were moms with their kids, it pissed me off.

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Old 07-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #44

I can't believe I'm saying this but I completely agree with TC on this...damm I'm old!

In this context the sign is just wrong. Theres a difference between No F**k, No Ride and O just F**k that or even F**k Off. While some do object to this word I think all object to the context.

crocopzmaj, please don't be offended by the reaction to your bike, It's a personal choice of customization and well executed. This forum is like a big family and we all feel free to voice our opinions weather they are asked for or not. you know the old saying "Opinons are like ass holes, everybody's got one."

Stick around and join the family.
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 07-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #45
Top Contributor

Quote:
Do you think it is OK to yell FIRE in a crowed theater?
The difference is whether or not it can physically hurt people. If you yell "fire" in a crowded theater, people can (and probably will) get hurt in the stampede. If you yell "f***" in the same theater, the worst that will happen is someone might throw popcorn on you.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860