Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Images & Video

Old 05-31-2012, 10:37 PM   #31

Sorry for your loss Don. Those pics are special.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #32

That makes sense.

I read that same thing in a book on the history of American motorcycles...

Seems the popularity of motorcycles was initially boosted by that fact (according to the book). If things would have been different, motorcycles might not have "made it" in the U.S.; at least some of the companies making them. I know HD was just about put-under because of the transition to autos (according to their book).

Again though, the pics were still of an era long-gone... and I love to look at pictures from "back in the day". There seemed to be a different spirit back then... I could be wrong.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 06-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #33

No you are right
Even as a kid i remember the motorcycle community be very close everyone new each other. That is where waving at other bikes came from. You pass someone on a bike you probably new them. My dad used to stop by the other bike shops all the time. They were all friends
V&H pro pipe
FI2000
custom intake
work in progress

Old 06-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #34
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Some really great pictures. Thanks for sharing them. Terribly sorry for your loss. I know you miss him and will miss him. Lost my Mom in 1977 and my Dad in 1988. I still miss them both all these years later.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 06-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #35

couple more

V&H pro pipe
FI2000
custom intake
work in progress

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #36
Sr. Contributor

Kewl!
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 06-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #37

Condolences Don. Keep your head up.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #38
Advanced Member

Great photos of your dad, sorry to hear about your loss. I also had a dad that lived his life on two wheels, rode from the age of 14 till he was 79.

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Old 06-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #39

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
WOW! Those pictures are fantastic! I know you miss your Daddy. I don't care how old you or they are, you're never ready for it.

I would definitely ask if a museum would be interested in a copy of the photos. They are museum quality and would be a fitting memorial.

Man, I like the first one by the lakeside! Makes me think about camping and motorcycles. What a pose!

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 06-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #40

Don..I'm real sorry to hear about your dad passing. I've got tears in my eyes right now thinking about my dad passing last year. Mine didn't like motorcycles but he was a Heavy duty master mechanic and at a very early age he taught me many a thing about wrenching. I too miss him alot. Thanks for sharing your memorys...it was good cry...John

Old 06-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #41
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
I've already sent my condolences and hope you're doing Ok Don. Yours and Johns posts have got me to think'in and I had to share a story. So many years thinking he never gave a shit, disliking him because of this and then,......
My Dad is still around and I'm glad. 85 yrs old and he still snowmobiles and has a ATV. He just has to bring along his oxygen bottle and stick the little hoses up his "beak" and he's good to go. He did a lot of his own mechanical on the family autos but he never wanted me around I thought, because he always sent me away to "go play !" I asked him why, a few years ago and he told me he sent me away to "go play" because he was never allowed to go and play, he always had to stick around and help do some kind of work. So he thought he was doing me a favor, when all I wanted to do was hang out with "the old man". I would never have known. I always thought he just didn't want me around. So I'm looking fwd to moving up to the "new place" and being closer with "the old guy". This photo was taken last winter when I got my "new to me" sleds.

{the other sled is an exact match only red in colour}

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Last edited by rickyboy; 06-03-2012 at 02:16 AM.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #42
Advanced Member

Sorry for your loss. Thoughts to you and your family.

Don Denman "JD"
2001 Luminous Vintage Red carbed 1500 Nomad
VBA #376
VROC #6195

Old 06-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy View Post
I've already sent my condolences and hope you're doing Ok Don. Yours and Johns posts have got me to think'in and I had to share a story. So many years thinking he never gave a shit, disliking him because of this and then,......
My Dad is still around and I'm glad. 85 yrs old and he still snowmobiles and has a ATV. He just has to bring along his oxygen bottle and stick the little hoses up his "beak" and he's good to go. He did a lot of his own mechanical on the family autos but he never wanted me around I thought, because he always sent me away to "go play !" I asked him why, a few years ago and he told me he sent me away to "go play" because he was never allowed to go and play, he always had to stick around and help do some kind of work. So he thought he was doing me a favor, when all I wanted to do was hang out with "the old man". I would never have known. I always thought he just didn't want me around. So I'm looking fwd to moving up to the "new place" and being closer with "the old guy". This photo was taken last winter when I got my "new to me" sleds.

{the other sled is an exact match only red in colour}
Thanks for sharing Richard
I hope you and your dad manage to catch up on all that lost time

We buried my dad yesterday
The funeral went well there was a huge turnout with alot of people who hadn't seen each other for as many as 45 years. I heard one of them comment that it as a shity way to have a reunion but they had to show up to send my dad off. There were antique cars and bikes all over the parking lot one guy had a 48 Indian chief and I road my vulcan. We had the funeral in the morning so guys could come in and pay there respects most of the bike shop owners and retired owners came by and alot of them had to leave to open there shops. after the funeral every body went to work or for a ride or just went on with there life which is exactly what my dad would have done
V&H pro pipe
FI2000
custom intake
work in progress

Old 06-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #44

My condolences to you and your family. I enjoy the old pics and often think of how grateful I am that there were guys like him that blazed the trail for guys like me.

2007 Vulcan Nomad
in Bad-Assed black.
I call her
"Black Betty"

Disclaimer: The opinion(s) expressed in the above post are just that - OPINION. Chill out, take a breath, and remember this is only an internet forum, and everyone here has an opinion.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #45

Sorry for your loss. Lost my dad in 2003. It was a tough and I still miss him. Pictures help and you have some good ones.