Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Images & Video

Old 06-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #1

Father's Day Weekend Getaway

We left on Thursday morning, heading out to the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. The day was perfect for riding. As we headed north on Route 52 toward Pilot Mountain/Mt. Airy area, we pulled in to an overlook for the ladies to view Pilot Mountain. As I switched off the bike, the HD (Harley Davidson) switch broke, leaving me stranded and frustrated. So, I called AAA to see about getting a tow to the local Kaw dealer. Guess what, AAA said that the plan that I have does not cover motorcycles. But the Good Lord above was looking out for me. As I was talking to AAA, a roll-back pulled up. I hung up from AAA and talked to the driver about hauling my rig in. The charge $50. The driver carried me, wife and rig to Worth Kawasaki in Mt. Airy. The mechanic looked the bike over and finally agreed with me that the switch was bad. Then the bad news, no switch and no HD dealer around to get a replacement. However, the mechanic said that he could get the bike running if I didn't mind having a toggle switch mounted on the handlebars. I stated "Not a problem", need to have running so as to be able to finish out the trip.

We left the dealer and continued north to the Parkway. Made it to the Parkway and headed toward Meadows of Dan, Va.(population 1284) There is a bikecamp located about 3/4 mile off the Parkway called Willeville Bikecamp. I have been using this facility for 5 years. It is top notch and the owner is also a rider. There are some great roads in the area.

We got up Friday morning and rode up to Mabry Mill for breakfast and to do some riding. We rode in to the little town of Floyd, Va so the ladies could do some craft shopping. We left Floyd and headed back to the Parkway to find the local winery, Chateau Morrisette. The ladies got to do some wine tasting and then we decided to have dinner. The food was exceptional and the service top-notch. This place was remarkable. After dinner we headed back to the campsite to settle in for the night.

Saturday, we decided to ride south on the Parkway to Laurel Springs and some food at Osbornes on the parkway. This place is a motel/bar/grill that caters to motorcycles. Again, the food was excellent. We rode the rest of the day going through several towns and finished up back at the campsite for some good ole fashion grilling out. I grilled the steaks, while the ladies and the rest of the riding group had a surprise for me. Since it was Father's day weekend and my birthday, they had a small cake with candles. They came up to the pavilion singing "Happy Birthday". Saturday ended on a good note.

Woke up Sunday morning, the ladies started breakfast, while the men started packing up for the trip home. One of the riders came over and sat down at the picnic table, he stated that he didn't feel well.(heart condition) To make a long story short, we ended up calling the Rescue Squad to come and check my friend. They decided to carry him across the mountain to the hospital to be checked out by a doctor. After waiting for an hour or so, he called and said that he was feeling fine, however, the doctor wanted to run some test on him. After another hour, he called and said that they were releasing him. Me and my riding buddy headed to the hospital to pickup my friend. He ended up riding bitch on the back of a Goldwing. Upon returning to the campsite, we finished packing and headed for home. Everyone made it home safely.

I would like to say a special thanks to my wife (Karen), my best friend and his lady (Tommy and Janet), my new friends (George, Tommy and Kim) for a very memorable weekend. I have been doing several road trips a year for the last 6 years and this was one of the better ones.

1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-26-2012, 04:41 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Enjoyed reading your story. Glad things turned out okay. Thanks for the pictures.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 06-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #3

Nice pics, good looking bike, glad your buddy was OK. Sounds like a memorable trip.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 06-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #4

Glad to hear everything worked out ok. My daughter live just off the BRP a few miles south of Laurel Springs.

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 06-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Nice story, must have been some tense moments with your friend not feeling good. Glad you all had a great time and thanks for sharing.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #6

Its nice to read that you had a positive ending and a good time on your trip.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. We will be leaving July 10th heading out to Gettysburg, Pa by way of the mountains through Va. Maybe we will have another good trip. Will keep ya'll posted.
2013 Voyager

Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #8

Good story...made me feel as if i were with ya'll....

Old 06-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #9

Great story and pictures. I'm glad everything ended well. Of course, I'm going to have to say it... that's what you get for putting a HD part on Kawasaki. Sorry, I couldn't help it. Glad you had a great time and good luck on your next trip!

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 06-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #10

Yeah we had a great weekend with yall. And just to thimk I was considering putting that style switch on my Kaw but I will keep what I got....lol.....See you guys soon..

Old 06-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #11

OH by the way great pictures!

Old 06-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by george james View Post
Good story...made me feel as if i were with ya'll....
Dah, I thought you were with us, maybe it was your evil twin.
2013 Voyager

Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobandy78 View Post
Great story and pictures. I'm glad everything ended well. Of course, I'm going to have to say it... that's what you get for putting a HD part on Kawasaki. Sorry, I couldn't help it. Glad you had a great time and good luck on your next trip!
Well the HD part was on the bike when I bought it..........good point!!!!
2013 Voyager