Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > Archived > NorthCentral Regional Rally - 2010

Old 01-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #1

TRIP 2: PDC to Spring Green & Boscobel Loop

NOTICE:

I TRAVELED TO CHECK OUT THIS RIDE ROUTE TODAY (JUNE 5TH) AND DISCOVERED QUITE A FEW OF THESE ROADS ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTABLE DUE TO CONSTRUCTION AND GRAVEL OVERLAY ON SOME OF THE ORIGINAL ROUTE ROADS.

THIS RIDE WILL BE MODIFIED

Prairie du Chien to Spring Green to Boscobel and back to PDC.
Distance: Yet to be determined

Time: Around 4 hours

Skill level: moderate to high level. We will be taking all of our routes at comfortable speeds, so no matter your comfort-level -- everyone should be fine on this ride.

Road Type: Sweeping river roads along to Wisconsin River to tight and twisty back-roads along the south-side of the WI River. Return route will involve varying elevation changes of the WI River bluffs (an area where the VROC holds its annual rally out of Boscobel, WI -- great Midwest roads.)

Highlights: While this ride provides great roads to ride, it does not provide a great deal of "highlight-stops". In other words... don't look for "tourist-attractions" on this route. Just consider this route to be a great ride on a variety of road-types.

This ride starts on the back-south-side-roads of the Wisconsin River which winds us through the unpopulated back-roads of the river and farmland. There will be points where the road will rapidly change elevation and also provide tight turns.

Eventually we will arrive at Spring Green where we will stop at the tourist-center for Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin in Spring Green (1/2 way point). (To those who know FLW... this is something to see if you have not – and is the only “attraction” on this ride.)

We will begin our return back on the north-side of the Wisconsin River. This portion of the ride is a comfortable ride with wide, sweeping roads as we wind our way closer to PDC. However we will take a detour up and over the plateau of the river-bluffs just prior to PDC so we can ride back down to PDC via the bluff-valleys. (A nice detour.)

I, personally, like this ride.

Don't forget... when opening the attachment you'll be taken to another Kawanow screen. You may need to allow pop-ups; or allow for the file to open. It is safe to open. PM me if you have trouble.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #2

We are so ready for this trip & get gathering. This specific ride will be my favorite as FLW is my favorite architect.
Thank you very much.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1600bluekaw
We are so ready for this trip & get gathering. This specific ride will be my favorite as FLW is my favorite architect.
Thank you very much.
I am such a fan of FLW that my wife thinks I need counseling... We have been to Taliesin to tour it, and have stopped by the visitor's center many times to stretch and on occasion to eat lunch in their restaurant.

Unfortunately we are only stopping for a brief stretch at the FLW visitor's center on this trip since we won't have time to do much else in our agenda for this route. However, if you are a fan of FLW you can always go back another time. Just be prepared... the price to tour the house and facilities is expensive -- around $80 -- $100 per person.

Overall though... you'll like the "setting" and knowing where his genius ideas were created. You'll also see why he built his house there.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 03-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #4

I grew up in this area of Wisconsin. Lived in Ridgeway for several years - before moving to MN.

If you need a break stop, Pleasant Ridge Store is a authentic old country store / hangout. They serve up coffee, breakfast, lunches, etc. Music on the weekends.

It is just a couple miles from SR-23 on the CR-ZZ segment, so you'll be riding right past it.

Let me know if you want more details.
1976 Honda 750 Super Sport

Old 03-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
I grew up in this area of Wisconsin. Lived in Ridgeway for several years - before moving to MN.

If you need a break stop, Pleasant Ridge Store is a authentic old country store / hangout. They serve up coffee, breakfast, lunches, etc. Music on the weekends.

It is just a couple miles from SR-23 on the CR-ZZ segment, so you'll be riding right past it.

Let me know if you want more details.
Hey Cal... I would be interested in knowing more. I sent you a PM

Greg

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

The man that was used as inspiration for Howard Roark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1600bluekaw
Thank you very much.
I am such a fan of FLW that my wife thinks I need counseling... We have been to Taliesin to tour it, and have stopped by the visitor's center many times to stretch and on occasion to eat lunch in their restaurant.

Unfortunately we are only stopping for a brief stretch at the FLW visitor's center on this trip since we won't have time to do much else in our agenda for this route. However, if you are a fan of FLW you can always go back another time. Just be prepared... the price to tour the house and facilities is expensive -- around $80 -- $100 per person.

Overall though... you'll like the "setting" and knowing where his genius ideas were created. You'll also see why he built his house there.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 03-21-2010, 07:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch
The man that was used as inspiration for Howard Roark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson

Yes Ponch... that would be the same... at least that is what has always been said to be the inspiration.

She used to visit him there at Taliesin East in Spring Green back in the day.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417