Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-09-2009, 11:45 PM   #1

TFI settings

Cant read the factory settings on the instructions???? What do I need to set the pots for a 04 K N air filter with vance and hines pipes. I no this has been talked about but I cant find the settings...... Thanks Guys!!!!!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-10-2009, 06:33 AM   #2

TFI settings

Flash:On my sheet it looks like 2:45,2,1,9 are the starting settings for a 2004 1500 Nomad.Set them like the hands of a clock.The second setting was either 2 or 2:15.Warm it up and then adjust from there.
Johnny

Old 10-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
TFI settings

According to Gadget's site his settings were 2:15, 2-3 on the second pot and 1 and 9. Those are close to Johnny's setting so either of these should get you close.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 10-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

TFI settings

Those are book settings, not written in stone. I just wrote the way to get these set on another thread. That is a little long in the reading. but is the way.

You shouldn't just set to book settings and call it good.

I will see if I can find that, an copy it here.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

TFI settings

Here is a copy....

The info sheet has the settings, but these are base settings... Not written in stone.

No 2 identical bikes are really identical, no 2 TFI's are either, and no 2 ECU's are, so you get to do some messin around and test things.

The very last thing you want to do is set your settings to someone else's settings and call it good.

If you do, some things you won't like will happen right away.

One of the first things is the engine will probably race at idle, and if you try to ride the bike that way it will pull at times when you apply light braking, with out clutching IN.

That will make the bike feel as if it has a mind of it's own, and is taking you to Hell in a Handbasket.

So once you have the TFI installed, the first thing to do is be sure ALL the pots are set to OFF, checking each one before you start the engine, turning each one to counter clockwise lightly to be certain ALL the pots are really OFF. (These well may be OFF. Don't force them at all ever!)

Then start the engine, and turn POT 4 to about 9:00 right away. This is a rmp counter and isn't anything other than telling the ecu RPM may demand fuel.

At this point you should not see any red light flickering.

Turning POT's 1 and 2 clockwise a little at this point should get you green and yellow lights flickering, and this tells you the TFI is wired and working correctly.

Turn POT 2 OFF now, and work with POT 1 alone. Go ride a little close to home if you want as the engine needs to be at full warm.

Parked, you can now proceed to turn pot 1 clockwise slowly, and RPM should pick up. Perhaps RPM will pick up so much you need to turn the black knob under the right side air dog dish OUT to reduce RPM, by slightly closing the throttle plate. (Likely)

Repeat turning pot 1 clockwise, and pass the point where RPM drops from being overly RICH. Then work back counter clockwise to best RPM.

Refine Best RPM. Take a short ride for 5 to 10 miles. Ride easy and see if RPM goes back up any too high.. If it does turn the black knob out a little more, Refine pot 1 for best RPM.

Once you have this set to best RPM, and good idle, pot 1 will be some where between 2:30 and 4:30. Very tiny increments are possible, sometimes a slight touch will make a difference.

When you are satisfied pot 1 is working the engine with the best fuel mix you can muster than and only then are you ready for Pot 2.

Now Pot 2 is like an accelerator pump on a carbed car or bike. It adds fuel when you twist the throttle hard and fast..

This setting will be custom to the way you ride. So make sure your Life Insurance is paid up in full and you feel like a teenager the day you set this pot 2 up.

You're gonna go play Bad Boy some place the cops won't catch you...

You need a mile of clear traffic free road, and a place to pull off the road so you can adjust pot 2. There should be no one around who will call the cops. So not a nice quiet little mom and pops neighborhood. Leave the side cover home.

Set Pot 2 to around 2:30 and go ride as fast as you dare, never getting into 4th gear or 5th. At that setting make a few runs, to get used to the feel.

Then set to 3:00 and repeat, make some runs.. Then set to 3:30 and repeat, working up to around 5:30.

About now you should either need asprins, or have a case of white knuckels, or be headed to traffic court..

If you have a big grin on your face you are approaching illegal fun

Set pot 3 to 1:00 if you plan to ride over 112 MPH for sustained hours on the interstate. OFF if not.

Then go set pot 4 again while you watch the yellow and green lights flicker, and turn it back till you see RED... Then turn it forward clock wise to see green and yellow again and leave it there if you want. That might be around 4:00.

Or just leave it at 9:00 book spec.

'IF' you get closed throttle cackel, this can be addressed with pot 3, and or throttle controll. This depends on things you have, or haven't done to the bike.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

TFI settings

No doubt about it mac. That will get it running the best. As far as my Nomad goes when, as I pointed out in another thread, hitting the highest 1st pot idle and pingless fast roll ons on regular gas got me a paltry 31 MPG combined mileage. Low fuel light coming on between 120 and 130 miles.

I'm now running premium (our 91 is premium, cool aid, on the west coast) and my TFI is adjusted rich enough not to ping at all on premium; or what I posted above. this is getting me back in the 40MPG range.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 10-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

TFI settings

BD do you still have all that crap under the tank I call Medusa' head? The vac line to the throttle body and the vac pod that runs air to the reed valves?

Ever check that vac line?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-11-2009, 10:28 PM   #8

TFI settings

OK Mac,explain about the Medusa Head.I know I still have them on my Nomad.Do they need to come off too?
Johnny

Old 10-11-2009, 10:57 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

TFI settings

It's all stock mac. every smog thing is hooked up....

Member # 0005