Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
Mega-Contributor

Oem grips

I have a problem developing with the clutch side OEM grip. The end of the grip nearest the LH switch housing is kind of "puckering", it's not smooth anymore and seems to be separating from the handlebar. I'm just talking about the soft grip surface, not the chrome end. It's been doing this now for a week or two and I think it might be due to the heat. Has anyone else had this happen?

I'm taking her in this week for new tires and an oil change and I'll ask the dealer if they would fix it under warranty*.

* Yes, I am aware that there are tons of aftermarket grips available, but I happen to like these.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to ruruson1
Oem grips

I couldn't tell you CJ, I changed mine over to Kurakyan ISO's and love it. it is just a peice of rubber streched over a plastic inner.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Oem grips

its a piece of foam cushioned grip glued to a plastic inner sleeve, over time plus heat it will probably break down and constant twisting forces make it go south. Upgrade to Iso grips and be happy CJ. :-)

Old 06-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #4

Oem grips

I still have the stock grips and mine is "loose" on the last half inch toward the switches. They're getting pretty worn after 5 years, so I might have new ones by the time I get to Mesquite.

Maybe. If I get enough ambition to install new ones.

No promises you understand. ;)

Old 06-04-2008, 08:01 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Oem grips

Oh cadd those should last you another 1-2 yrs easy,,,LOL

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-04-2008, 08:22 PM   #6

Oem grips

I wouldn't wwant to replace any "normal wear and tear" parts prematurely.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Oem grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
I have a problem developing with the clutch side OEM grip. The end of the grip nearest the LH switch housing is kind of "puckering", it's not smooth anymore and seems to be separating from the handlebar. I'm just talking about the soft grip surface, not the chrome end. It's been doing this now for a week or two and I think it might be due to the heat. Has anyone else had this happen?

I'm taking her in this week for new tires and an oil change and I'll ask the dealer if they would fix it under warranty*.

* Yes, I am aware that there are tons of aftermarket grips available, but I happen to like these.
Mine also started doing that. I would smooth it out with my hand and it would stay for awhile.
Switched to ISOs. Also love em.
Peace Makers LEMC

Old 06-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #8

Oem grips

CJ- the end cap of the left grip is threaded on ( left hand, ie... reverse thread). Hmmm...
before you do anything.... the other end of the grip sleeve is form fitted over the collette with lands and grooves, try twisting the grip or collette slightly to see if it lays in to the grooves. This may eliminate your pucker. Even the one I'm looking at has the edges turned up ever so slightly. It is loose fit on that end and not glued or molded permanent. If you have to take it off and reglue or replace the grip I'd use a rubber strap wrench on the chrome colored plastic end cap so you don't scar it. I seem to recall a touch of thread glue. If the stealer give you a hard time or you mess up your grip, I have the sleeve and collette. Someone else already took the end cap.

Alternative- High grade electrical tape.

I changed bars and grips.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 06-05-2008, 12:00 AM   #9
Mega-Contributor

Oem grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter
CJ- the end cap of the left grip is threaded on ( left hand, ie... reverse thread). Hmmm...
before you do anything.... the other end of the grip sleeve is form fitted over the collette with lands and grooves, try twisting the grip or collette slightly to see if it lays in to the grooves. This may eliminate your pucker. Even the one I'm looking at has the edges turned up ever so slightly. It is loose fit on that end and not glued or molded permanent. If you have to take it off and reglue or replace the grip I'd use a rubber strap wrench on the chrome colored plastic end cap so you don't scar it. I seem to recall a touch of thread glue. If the stealer give you a hard time or you mess up your grip, I have the sleeve and collette. Someone else already took the end cap.

Alternative- High grade electrical tape.

I changed bars and grips.
When I dropped my bike off at the dealer today to get the tires replaced, I asked them about it, and sure enough, the grip had been twisted somehow and the rubber tabs were out of the grooves. Not a big deal, I just didn't peel it back far enough to see that before.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-05-2008, 12:31 AM   #10

Oem grips

ill have to try that mine is doin the same thing.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #11

Oem grips

Last time I put ISO grips on was on my Honda Sabre and you had to buy the "universals". The install was as easy as cutting off the old grips and sliding on the ISO's. Is the Nomad as easy? Which ISO's do you use?
'01 1500FI Nomad, traded 9/12
Also '02 Honda Sabre
Kawanow #826

Old 06-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Oem grips

yes its that easy mn, all vulcans use the same item number,

Old 06-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #13

Oem grips

I love my ISO grips. the stockers felt like your trying to hold onto a pencil compared to the Kurys. I only had one problem with them, after about a year, the left grip would/could twist. I tried some "grip glue" from the local dealer, and it worke for about a week. I went to Lowes and got a bottle of that "Gorilla Glue" and glued them on with that. Haven't a problem with it yet and it's been about 8 months now.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 06-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #14
Advanced Member

Oem grips

I installed the ISOs on my Nomad. They are the same as I had on the C50. I know this because I took them off my C50 before trading. I then put them on my nomad. They work great and they are pretty easy to install. Just make sure you put the throttle side on first so when you glue the left side on, you can line them up.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:21 PM   #15

Oem grips

YOUR HANDS WILL LOVE YOU FOR GOING TO THE ISO GRIPS.