Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #16

^^ good info thanks

I just bought a few bottles of the Kawi Alum Cool product to be on the safe side.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #17
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
Okay I did allot of reading and watching Tubies on the subject of Evans Waterless Coolant. I found out enough for myself to decide whether I wanted to try this product or not. First the product is an excellent product for any engine that you are planning on running to the extreme. Evans will " NOT " make your engine run cooler. It will help your engine operate safer at higher temperatures. Does eliminate corrosion because of the no water factor. Low pressure in the system, and one time only change is all pluses. Downside is that you do not know if your engine is overheating or not until something else fails on the bike. Some have reported that the engine got so hot that it melted the middle out of their plastic fan thus the fan did not work on their bike. Heat failures due to other parts that are connected to the engine are a true concern. Plus there is no time lines mentioned as to how long you can operate the vehicle at these higher temperatures. Once again this is a product which is dictated by personal choice. In my case I just don't really feel that i need a product like this. I would rather go with "Engine Ice" that does allow your engine to run a bit cooler. When your engine starts overheating with regular coolant, all kinds of bells and whistles start going off. I'm not sure I want to give that up. I think I would rather keep that warning system at the level it is at now. Think it is a great product for what its made for and if I was running engines to the extreme there would be no doubt this is what I would use.

Disclaimer: This statement is not intended to be an expert opinion. Please consult a certified motorcycle mechanic for more detailed expert advice.
Your loss. Just proves, poor reasoning works ever time. I am a mechanic and after using Evans Cool for 12 years I know the product. I've talked to there technical people about there product.
Like I said, your loss.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 05-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jllm02199 View Post
Your loss. Just proves, poor reasoning works ever time. I am a mechanic and after using Evans Cool for 12 years I know the product. I've talked to there technical people about there product.
Like I said, your loss.
No reason to make derogatory comments over his opinion
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 05-20-2015, 02:48 PM   #19

Let's clarify something. The coolant itself will not allow the cooling system to "run cooler" as some think. The waterless coolant simply allows the cooling system to work more efficiently which means heat generated by the engine is dissipated easier. In other words, I think the bike would benefit greatly from this because it would prevent big changes (delta T in *F) in coolant temperature. Hell, it might even prevent the cooling fan from kicking on because it is able to maintain a overall lower coolant temp due to efficient transfer of heat.

Remember, the entire point behind the waterless coolant is to increase thermal efficiency of the cooling system. It does this by raising the boil temp of the working fluid and reduces surface tension for greater heat transfer.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jllm02199 View Post
Like I said, your loss.
You're correct. My opinion my loss. Vehicle engines have run for a hundred plus years without this product. I guess they can still run without it for awhile longer.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-20-2015, 03:20 PM   #21

Huh check this out: http://www.norosion.com/evanstest.htm

Interesting that the corrosion test showed increased deposits on the cooling system aluminum parts. That's not good.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernomad View Post
Huh check this out: http://www.norosion.com/evanstest.htm

Interesting that the corrosion test showed increased deposits on the cooling system aluminum parts. That's not good.
Pretty much sums it up for me.. Thanks. " IMO "

Old 05-20-2015, 06:43 PM   #23

Well I did more digging and it appears Evans coolant is nothing more than 100% pure "non-aqueous" propylene glycol. At least that's what the NPG+ product is called.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:11 PM   #24
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernomad View Post
Let's clarify something. The coolant itself will not allow the cooling system to "run cooler" as some think. The waterless coolant simply allows the cooling system to work more efficiently which means heat generated by the engine is dissipated easier. In other words, I think the bike would benefit greatly from this because it would prevent big changes (delta T in *F) in coolant temperature. Hell, it might even prevent the cooling fan from kicking on because it is able to maintain a overall lower coolant temp due to efficient transfer of heat.

Remember, the entire point behind the waterless coolant is to increase thermal efficiency of the cooling system. It does this by raising the boil temp of the working fluid and reduces surface tension for greater heat transfer.
What you stated here is correct. My fan only runs if I set for long periods in traffic . It removes the heat around the cylinders because there are no hot spots in that area like with water. Any way thanks. I love the product.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio