Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-16-2017, 01:23 PM   #1

Who here has a Harley?

I know, this is a Vulcan forum, but I have seen a handful of guys still hanging around that have switched to a Harley. I am considering the same move.

Specifically, I'm looking at mid to late 90's Evo bikes such as a Fat Boy or Wide Glide. I'm pretty leary of twinkies because of the cam chain issues. - Should I be?

If you have a Harley now, what do you have and how does it compare to what your Vulcan did? What other advice and whatnot can you give me in regards to purchasing a harley, or your general feelings about switching?

I appreciate any input guys. Thank you.

Viking hard bags

Cobra fatty highway bar

Cobra long shots

thetrailerstore ebay fairing

LRS recurve shield

Yaffe 10" mini bagger apes

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-16-2017, 02:20 PM   #2

OK... I've owned many harley's... so I've recently re-purchased a 99 Nomad. I had this bike when it came out and sold it a few years later which i DEEEEEEPLY regretted. I bought a 98 FI Road King Classic and it was ok. But... I found myself constantly comparing it to my Nomad and wishing I had never sold it.
Harley's are "cool" and have way more aftermarket support. However, My Nomad had more power, was more reliable, required less maintenance, and I didn't have to take a tool kit with me everytime i went on a trip.
Recently a dealership had a 99 Nomad (green) just like my old one, so i literally RAN there and bought it. In the process of "correcting" some of the mods the previous owner did wrong (i.e. carb jetted WAY to rich) but finished up last night, took it for a ride and Im in love all over again.
"IF" you're just in the mood for a "new" bike, id say get a newer Nomad, Vaquero or Voyager. that's just my opinion, hope this helps.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:15 PM   #3

I have a 1984 fxe shovel that has been in the garage for the last 8 years while i rode my vulcans .

Old 11-16-2017, 07:46 PM   #4
Advanced Member

I have a 2016 Road Glide Ultra. I have ridden every Harley made in the last 5 years and personally I wouldn't own any Harley with the exception of the Touring line.

The Japanese bikes are so much better in the other categories.

Back in 2010 when I bought the Vulcan Voyager it was a better bike than the 2010 Road Glide. Harley moved forward and came out with the Rushmore bikes in 2014, and the Rushmore Road Glide Ultra in 2016. The 2016 Road Glide Ultra is much more bike than the Vulcan Voyager. Better handling out of the box. Better suspension. Better stereo system. So many options to make it your own. Love the quick release kit for the tour pack.

The ride, braking, handling, etc. is inferior on the other Harley bikes compared to the Japanese. I can't believe people rode bikes with rigid mount engines without counter balancers. I always loved the look of the Softail Custom. Then I rode one. My 1985 Honda Shadow 700 was so much better a bike and it only cost me $2500 new.

Good luck with your decision.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 11-17-2017, 07:20 AM   #5

Harley moved forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I have a 2016 Road Glide Ultra. I have ridden every Harley made in the last 5 years and personally I wouldn't own any Harley with the exception of the Touring line.

The Japanese bikes are so much better in the other categories.

Back in 2010 when I bought the Vulcan Voyager it was a better bike than the 2010 Road Glide. Harley moved forward and came out with the Rushmore bikes in 2014, and the Rushmore Road Glide Ultra in 2016. The 2016 Road Glide Ultra is much more bike than the Vulcan Voyager. Better handling out of the box. Better suspension. Better stereo system. So many options to make it your own. Love the quick release kit for the tour pack.

The ride, braking, handling, etc. is inferior on the other Harley bikes compared to the Japanese. I can't believe people rode bikes with rigid mount engines without counter balancers. I always loved the look of the Softail Custom. Then I rode one. My 1985 Honda Shadow 700 was so much better a bike and it only cost me $2500 new.

Good luck with your decision.
I have a 2015 Street Glide Special and I agree with this post, Harley has moved forward and is working hard at making a good bike. In my opinion they are not going to rely on brand loyalty alone.

2015 Vaquero
Candy Lime Green
2000 Goldwing (136,000 km and still going strong)
2015 Street Glide (Garage Queen)
1975 Honda CB750F (Cafe Racer Project)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-17-2017, 09:39 AM   #6

Good info guys, thanks for the input!

Viking hard bags

Cobra fatty highway bar

Cobra long shots

thetrailerstore ebay fairing

LRS recurve shield

Yaffe 10" mini bagger apes

Old 11-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
Mega-Contributor

After I totaled my 2007 Nomad, I bought a 2011 Ultra Limited brand new. I have not had any mechanical issues with it at all in 31,000 miles. I have many friends who also ride Harley, all have twin cam engines and none have had cam chain issues. My Harley handles a lot better than the Nomad. HD improved the frame in 2009 and this bike corners like it's on rails. I would never go back to a Nomad. I am kind of interested in the new Yamaha Venture that just came out, but I doubt I'll ever switch brands.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Last edited by cactusjack; 11-18-2017 at 10:05 AM.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:56 AM   #8

Hey Scott, figured you would post on this thread.
Sending a PM.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG103 View Post
I have a 2015 Street Glide Special and I agree with this post, Harley has moved forward and is working hard at making a good bike. In my opinion they are not going to rely on brand loyalty alone.
They have had about 100yrs practice,so anytime soon they will get it right.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
They have had about 100yrs practice,so anytime soon they will get it right.
Triumph is a year ahead. When are they going to?

Old 11-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #11

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Triumph is a year ahead. When are they going to?
I dont have a real answer to that mate.The Triumph rocket 3, has one of the most lop sided,ugly engines ever stuck in a bike.But it goes pretty well.I never even rode a Harley,so only go on what i hear.But when you bash it all out,i think Triumph are light years ahead,in every department.The fact that they can sell bikes,as fast as they can make them, all over the world,must say something.Harley are still trying to appeal to the old crowd,and you suckers are dying out

Smooth bit of editing there
Thanks Mick, Cheers

Last edited by Top Cat; 11-20-2017 at 08:55 AM.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #12

I traded my '07 Nomad for a 2012 Ultra Limited. Zero mechanical issues in 18,000 miles when I got the fever and traded for my current 2016 Ultra Limited CVO. Soft ride, plenty of low end torque with the 103 and 110 cu inch twin overhead cam engines. The 110 has quite a bit more torque than the 103 but is cammed up and idles a lot rougher. I traded the '12 for the '16 because I got tired of the Tequila Sunrise color. Prefer the handling of both HD's over the Nomad but was very fond of the old girl.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 11-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #13

I like all motorcycles. Every brand seems to have good categories, the Kawasaki has a killer sport bike line up.
Since John Bloor took over the bankrupt Triumph in 1983, they are a brand to be respected and are progressing just fine with emphasis on Cafe Racers. And of course the famous Bonneville twin that is still going strong.
The manufacturers have only so much resources and can't be the best in all categories. I think right now Harley Davidson are very innovative, of course they have been increasing their prices since the Rushmore products have been introduced.

2015 Vaquero
Candy Lime Green
2000 Goldwing (136,000 km and still going strong)
2015 Street Glide (Garage Queen)
1975 Honda CB750F (Cafe Racer Project)

Old 11-19-2017, 09:38 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
:

I dont have a real answer to that mate.The Triumph rocket 3, has one of the most lop sided,ugly engines ever stuck in a bike.But it goes pretty well.I never even rode a Harley,so only go on what i hear.But when you bash it all out,i think Triumph are light years ahead,in every department.The fact that they can sell bikes,as fast as they can make them, all over the world,must say something.Harley are still trying to appeal to the old crowd,and you suckers are dying out

Smooth bit of editing there
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG103 View Post
I like all motorcycles. Every brand seems to have good categories, the Kawasaki has a killer sport bike line up.
Since John Bloor took over the bankrupt Triumph in 1983, they are a brand to be respected and are progressing just fine with emphasis on Cafe Racers. And of course the famous Bonneville twin that is still going strong.
The manufacturers have only so much resources and can't be the best in all categories. I think right now Harley Davidson are very innovative, of course they have been increasing their prices since the Rushmore products have been introduced.

I bought a Triumph Trophy SE in June of '15, and traded it in September '16. Amazing suspension, but warranty issues and the dealer having problems with Triumph led to me trading. They discontinued the bike.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:46 AM   #15

I have had 17 motorcycles, 8 of them being Harley's and 4 of them being full dressers. I had to sale my 99 Ultra and miss it, hated to see it go. Out of the 8 Harley's I had this was the only one I had a problem with, BUT Harley's are in my blood. When I was 7 years old there was an old rusted service car Harley in the next yard. I would jump over and act like I was riding it until my mother got me. Now I have a 2000 Nomad. Nice bike, have always liked the looks of it. Found one I had the money for so bought it. BUT, still a Harley man and when I win the lottery will get another.