Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-05-2023, 11:26 AM   #1

Is Kawsasaki giving up on the Cruiser/Touring bikes?

I have always been a Kawasaki guy, I never felt the need to spend twice the money on a Harley or an Indian, that being said, I was planning on buying a new Voyager or Vaquero until.... Kawasaki released the 2024 information. Highly disappointed with the same old colrs on the Voyager (Grey on Grey) and no upgrades to the sound and information system. The New blue on the Vaquero is Gorgeous however, again no real upgrades to anything. I feel Kawasaki is just not wanting to compete with Harley or Indian in the big cruiser/ touring family. So I started looking around town and just purchased a 2015 Electra-Glide Ultra Limited with all the bells and whistles. I rolled out of the showroom with an 8 year bike with only 85 miles so in essence its a brand new bike. That being said I will probably keep my nomad and upgrade with custom paint and upholstery and a basic rebuild and use her as a show piece.

Am I the only one that thinks Kawasaki is missing out on a Huge Market?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-05-2023, 05:07 PM   #2
Top Contributor

The 1700 has been out 14 years now so its my guess its either due to be dropped completely or replaced with a new model.

Old 10-07-2023, 12:39 AM   #3
Advanced Member

I, myself, am happy with my '15. Done upgraded pretty much everything that everyone wants to change about the bike. Well, no apes for me. Stock bars are comfortable on 5+ hour rides for me. And I did go back the stock mufflers. Older I get the more I like the stereo over the exhaust noise. If Maw Kaw discontinues the 1700 Voyager I'm set for about as long as I will be able to ride the big bikes. I have never cared for the look or the hype of the HD brand.

I will say though my local Kaw/Yammerhammer dealer is selling 30 Adventure bikes to one street bike.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 10-07-2023 at 12:43 AM.

Old 10-07-2023, 09:23 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Kawasaki backed out because there isn't any "huge market" anymore for the cruisers out there. Harley and Indian pretty much locked up the major share of what was a dwindling market anyway. Yamaha makes an excellant major dresser in the Eluder even with the weird name and excellant engine. Honda could just not create a classic large full dresser even with the very good 1800 engine. The major buying market being the aging Boomers who many cannot or won't try to hold up a 900+ lb motorcycle. Now they opt for the trike market.

Old 10-07-2023, 10:53 PM   #5

It's a shame that Kawa gave up on the Vaquero almost as soon as the made it. Except for color and ABS it hasn't changed since 2009. It was a dead end from the beginning. Who makes a bike and never improves it. Ipods really, not even bluetooth. Surprised that they still make it. Talked to a dealer and he said that they don't sell enough. So Kawa keeps making a bike for over a decade that doesn't sell. Yes I have a 2011.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-11-2023, 12:43 PM   #6
Advanced Member

I was very interested in a newer Voyager a couple years ago when I ended up buying a Victory Cross Country Tour but I thought there would be more available for the Voyager but Zero aftermarket and you can't even buy rear speakers anymore. WTF? My vic is tough to find aftermarket for but not nearly as hard as Voyager stuff.

Old 10-19-2023, 03:11 PM   #7

Most dealers get one, or maybe two, Voyagers each year. Talking to sales people at my dealer I hear the same thing that was mentioned above, they sell easily 20 dirt bikes for every street bike. Young people are just not buying motorcycles any more. Even the cheapest ones are too expensive and most of my 20 and 30-something colleagues live in apartments with no garage and thus no winter storage.

Physics & Astronomy Teacher
Boulder High School
Boulder, Colorado

Mysteriously, wonderfully, I bid farewell to what goes, I greet what comes; for what comes cannot be denied, and what goes cannot be detained. --Master Chuang--

Old 10-19-2023, 05:17 PM   #8
Top Contributor

The cost of insurance is high ($1000) even for an old guy like me. And that is for basic insurance coverage.
A set of tires is now $500 and the parts to do an oil change are $100 (3 times a year for me).
For young people it is another factor why they are not getting into motorcycling, especially here in Canada.
The basics are so expensive there is nothing left for luxuries like a motorcycle.

Last edited by redjay; 10-19-2023 at 06:37 PM.

Old 10-19-2023, 08:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
The cost of insurance is high ($1000) even for an old guy like me. And that is for basic insurance coverage.
A set of tires is now $500 and the parts to do an oil change are $100 (3 times a year for me).
For young people it is another factor why they are not getting into motorcycling, especially here in Canada.
The basics are so expensive there is nothing left for luxuries like a motorcycle.
Wow, Insurance for My Vaquero is only $204 a year here in Florida !

Old 10-19-2023, 09:44 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarticus View Post
Wow, Insurance for My Vaquero is only $204 a year here in Florida !

And you get to ride year round. We can only ride for 6 months.

My insurance is liability only and if I want fully comprehensive its around $500 more ($1500).

Last edited by redjay; 10-20-2023 at 06:28 AM.

Old 10-21-2023, 11:57 AM   #11

You would be correct redjay. My full comprehensive is $1480.00 per year in Mb.

Old 10-21-2023, 02:22 PM   #12

$25/month for me. Sounds like your new presidential candidate has a platform up there.

Old 10-21-2023, 04:19 PM   #13

PLPD only in Ontario $660.

Old 10-21-2023, 10:08 PM   #14
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brydgy View Post
PLPD only in Ontario $660.
Who with and what is PLPD ?

Old 10-22-2023, 09:36 AM   #15

Public Liability and Property Damage. Basically Liability
Definity Insurance Company
Coburn Insurance Brokers