Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-25-2015, 07:52 AM   #1

EJK – BAK – V&H observations

Greetings All,

For those thinking about doing these modifications, what follows are my observations. Your mileage may vary. Just hoping someone will find it useful.

Parts: Chuckster’s BAK, V&H Slash Cut slip-ons, Dobeck EJK and Thunder Mfg. Throttle Body gasket.

When I started on this journey, there were a few goals in mind.
A:] Allow the engine to run cooler.
B:] Improve fuel economy (MPG).
C:] Reduce the popping on deceleration.
The intention of the changes was to help the bike be healthier overall. Lessen the factory lean condition of the fuel and reduce the overall operating temperature. Hopeful side benefits were
D:] Better performance.
E:] Improved exhaust tone.

Less desirable side effects, increased noise from the engine area. Specifically in the 2400 to 2900 RPM range, especially under a load.

The engine does run cooler, mission accomplished.
Noticeably cooler at medium and cruising speeds. In town and in traffic of course she still gets warm quick. It is comforting to see the temp gauge hover at the 10 O’clock position and not pointing straight up at noon or higher while cruising.

Fuel economy is a wash. Before the modifications, the average was 40~42 MPG. Since the modifications, 38~40. I blame my right wrist for the drop. Not sure that the MPG will surpass the previous average after the newness wears off.

Decel Popping, improved. It is not eliminated, however, the frequency has reduced. With the V&H those occasional pops are more pronounced.

Performance is where the biggest benefit appears. WOT is a kick, she no longer feels like she is working to get rolling. Now it is more of a hang on, here we go! Been to 100 mph maybe once in the first 10k miles. Been there three times in the past two weeks. About that fuel economy…

The V&H Slash cuts do sound good. Mostly deeper at lower RPMs. They put out some volume at higher RPMs. At cruising speeds they rumble nicely. The radio can still be heard, other ambient sounds (sirens, horns, etc.) can still be heard.

The negative is the various noises that can now be heard from the engine area. Not sure if it is valve train, or throttle body operations or all of the above. Once the factory air boxes are removed, there are a lot of sounds which were previously muted by all the factory components. These peak in volume between 2400 and 2900 RPM. Which is RPM range most frequently used by me for cruising…

If your goal is cooler running temperatures and to correct the factory leanness, then the efforts are worth it. Alternately, if you are going for a performance boost, they are worth it. If you are focused on improving MPG’s, this may not be the modification package to get you there. If you like a quiet ride and do not want various engine noises distracting you. This is not the path to go down.

Again, the above is IMHO.
Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by smokier; 08-25-2015 at 07:54 AM.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #2
Advanced Member

Nice write up - Thanks!!

Is you mileage displayed or calculated??

Either way, it will probably level off and increase once your wrist adjusts . . .

Thunder Air Kit
Power Pro
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Wrapped Header Pipes
Heat Deflectors (from ebay)
CB/Rear Speakers
Avon grips with Throttle Magic by RACNRAY
Shiny Chrome stuff
Michelin Commander IIs
Kury T/S Mirrors
Sagebrush Design tank bib w/pouch
Russell Day Long Seat w/Backrest
Lots of Miles and Many More Smiles!

Blue Knights - Virginia II
Ride With Pride

Old 08-25-2015, 09:42 AM   #3

That's the kind of Info. people look for. Before I joined V.B.A. I was searching the past threads for things like this. Perhaps we should have a spot on the board for people to post year, bike, set up & what they think of the change it made to the bike.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by napom View Post
Is you mileage displayed or calculated??

Either way, it will probably level off and increase once your wrist adjusts . . .
Greetings Napom,
Calculated via APP on phone. I am hopeful that when the wrist calms down, MPGs will go up! :)

Enjoy that lower 48 trip!
Ride safe,
Smokier

Last edited by smokier; 08-25-2015 at 10:01 AM.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Y View Post
That's the kind of Info. people look for. Before I joined V.B.A. I was searching the past threads for things like this. Perhaps we should have a spot on the board for people to post year, bike, set up & what they think of the change it made to the bike.
Agreed, it would be nice to have a summary of configurations. With peoples perspective on the modifications they tried.
I appreciate that this section is partially that. However, finding those gem posts is the trick.

Ride safe,
Smokier

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by smokier; 08-25-2015 at 10:03 AM.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:49 AM   #6

I as well like your write up. Its nice to see it broke out the way you did it. I wish I had all the money back I have spent doing mods on motorcyles over the last 30 plus years. Im over it now and I just want to ride. Sure there is little things I have done to mine such as improve the lights for night riding but I have only just changed out bulbs to brighter ones. Stock is good enough for me anymore as these accessories have become way expensive. Not at all dishing what you or others do to your bikes its all up the bike owner. For me I like the quiet and it runs good enough as it is. YMMV Al

Once I was young and now I am old and everything in the middle went way to damn fast

Old 08-25-2015, 11:33 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Greetings All,

For those thinking about doing these modifications, what follows are my observations. Your mileage may vary. Just hoping someone will find it useful.

Parts: Chuckster’s BAK, V&H Slash Cut slip-ons, Dobeck EJK and Thunder Mfg. Throttle Body gasket.

When I started on this journey, there were a few goals in mind.
A:] Allow the engine to run cooler.
B:] Improve fuel economy (MPG).
C:] Reduce the popping on deceleration.
The intention of the changes was to help the bike be healthier overall. Lessen the factory lean condition of the fuel and reduce the overall operating temperature. Hopeful side benefits were
D:] Better performance.
E:] Improved exhaust tone.

Less desirable side effects, increased noise from the engine area. Specifically in the 2400 to 2900 RPM range, especially under a load.

The engine does run cooler, mission accomplished.
Noticeably cooler at medium and cruising speeds. In town and in traffic of course she still gets warm quick. It is comforting to see the temp gauge hover at the 10 O’clock position and not pointing straight up at noon or higher while cruising.

Fuel economy is a wash. Before the modifications, the average was 40~42 MPG. Since the modifications, 38~40. I blame my right wrist for the drop. Not sure that the MPG will surpass the previous average after the newness wears off.

Decel Popping, improved. It is not eliminated, however, the frequency has reduced. With the V&H those occasional pops are more pronounced.

Performance is where the biggest benefit appears. WOT is a kick, she no longer feels like she is working to get rolling. Now it is more of a hang on, here we go! Been to 100 mph maybe once in the first 10k miles. Been there three times in the past two weeks. About that fuel economy…

The V&H Slash cuts do sound good. Mostly deeper at lower RPMs. They put out some volume at higher RPMs. At cruising speeds they rumble nicely. The radio can still be heard, other ambient sounds (sirens, horns, etc.) can still be heard.

The negative is the various noises that can now be heard from the engine area. Not sure if it is valve train, or throttle body operations or all of the above. Once the factory air boxes are removed, there are a lot of sounds which were previously muted by all the factory components. These peak in volume between 2400 and 2900 RPM. Which is RPM range most frequently used by me for cruising…

If your goal is cooler running temperatures and to correct the factory leanness, then the efforts are worth it. Alternately, if you are going for a performance boost, they are worth it. If you are focused on improving MPG’s, this may not be the modification package to get you there. If you like a quiet ride and do not want various engine noises distracting you. This is not the path to go down.

Again, the above is IMHO.
Ride safe,
Smokier
The noise you are hearing is the intake. It took me a bit to bet used to it but now I am immune and with the added performance, it is worth it to me.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #8

Quote:
The noise you are hearing is the intake. It took me a bit to bet used to it but now I am immune and with the added performance, it is worth it to me.
Greetings Ken,
It's mental thing for sure. Had seen some of your other posts on the topic. I was just a little surprised when it was experienced it first hand.
Hopefully the immune part will kick in as well. The cooler running temps and the performance will help offset it!
Thanks for your help on this.

Ride safe,
Smokier

Old 08-25-2015, 01:04 PM   #9

I went the Cobra Tri-ovals (thanks PO) and the PCV with ignition timing route on an 09 Voyager. I have the same BAK as you and the Thunder gasket. My experience has been exactly the same. Thanks for the great write up.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:15 PM   #10

SMOKIER...you are correct. Removing the factory a/boxes allow engine mechanical noise to be heard that those boxes help to mute. One additional noise is "injector click" which can be quite noticeable to our ears, sounds like valve tick.

No doubt ur skoot is now so much more fun to ride....YEEHAW!!!

RACNRAY

Old 08-25-2015, 01:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY

No doubt ur skoot is now so much more fun to ride....YEEHAW!!!

RACNRAY

Urah!

Old 08-25-2015, 03:29 PM   #12
Advanced Member

I have been helping my buddy build out his new 2014 Vaquero. He also is coming from a 1500 classic like me. He keeps telling me he is hearing noises (the bike only has 400 miles) I keep telling him it will be a completely different bike after break in and a few more mods. I rode it a couple of times and can't believe how far my bike has come. The no throttle mod thing is weird. The bike is so quiet with stock exhaust. Man she runs warm. The noises he is hearing are just the sounds of a different motor. It is nice when you can really tell the difference from stock to stage one mods.

So far I installed an LED headlight, Aux lights are being shipped this week, passenger floorboards, longer kickstand, Lowering Links should be here this week. New 2 up Mustang touring seat with backrests. He is holding off on performance mods since has spent over $1400 in a 2 week period.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Old 08-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #13

HEY KEN...please send me the links for those nice LED bulbs you have, I wanna burn some retinas!!!

RACNRAY

Old 08-25-2015, 10:00 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
HEY KEN...please send me the links for those nice LED bulbs you have, I wanna burn some retinas!!!

RACNRAY
I PMed you the headlight bulb link a week or so ago . Let me get you the Aux light bulbs.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Old 08-25-2015, 10:02 PM   #15
Advanced Member

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281724150476...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger