Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #1

About that fan...

09 Nomad, no engine mods, just over 5k miles. Not sure but I don't think the coolant has ever been changed. My commute is a relatively short 15 miles/20 minutes mostly interstate at 70-80mph. I've only noticed in the past couple of days the fan is on at the end of the commute. The ambient temps have been in the 60s-low 70s. Last week was around 100 one day. Have felt heat coming off the engine but not more than I would expect for having a big cylinder between the legs. Is this normal for the big Nomad? I'm ok with it if it is, would just like to be sure since I've only had the bike a couple of weeks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #2

Check to see that your coolant is at the correct level. It would also be good to change it since its been 3-4 years already.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #3

You're pretty sure of yourself stating that "I have a big cylinder between the legs", aren't you? I'm surprised I'm the first to catch that. LOL!

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 06-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Top Contributor

You caught his "big cylinder"?? Probably too much info.

I changed out my coolant a few weeks ago. I doubt it had ever been changed as my '07 only has a bit over 15k miles.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 06-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #5

Will work on a coolant change this weekend. Thanks

When I'm not on the Nomad there is no big cyl ..... never mind. Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
You caught his "big cylinder"?? Probably too much info.
Oh, geez. Didn't sound as bad when I typed it.

On the subject, I should probably change my coolant, but it seems like a chore.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 06-29-2012, 02:29 AM   #7
Top Contributor

It's easy. (I did it so it must be.) Remove your tank, place a big bowl under the front of the radiator (I prefer the generic Tupperware cake size container), unscrew the drain plug from the bottom (center) of the radiator, remove the coolant cap (looks like a radiator cap on a car but it's just above your right intake). While that's draining, remove your overflow tank. You'll have to remove the fuse block first but it's only held in place by some rubber. (There are 2 bolts on the overflow tank.) Remove the hoses from the overflow tank and vigorously slosh the coolant in the tank then drain it. Put it all back together (don't forget to reinstall the radiator drain plug...there's a washer on it that you don't want to forget) then SLOWLY pour fresh coolant in the fill hole (where the radiator cap is). You'll hear it bubble. Once that's full, put the cap and tank back on. Add coolant to the overflow tank to the full line. Fire up the bike and let it run through a couple fan cycles. You may have to add a bit of coolant to the overflow tank. (I didn't.) It'll take 3 quarts of pre mixed coolant (make sure you get the stuff that's compatible with aluminum radiators). You'll use about 2 1/2 qts filling the system and the other 1/2 qt for the overflow tank.

It took me about an hour but I added a bypass for my temperature gauge. Probably could have done it in 20 minutes if I had just been changing the coolant.

NOTE: COOLANT IS POISON AND TASTES SWEET. ANIMALS WILL DRINK IT AND DIE. DISPOSE OF IT PROPERLY AND CLEAN UP ANY SPILLS IMMEDIATELY! It's a painful death, too. Doesn't matter if you're an animal lover or hater.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 06-29-2012, 04:34 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
My fan hardly ever comes on. Only comes on when idling. While riding it should not be coming on. Just my thought.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 06-29-2012, 05:30 AM   #9
Top Contributor

I can see it coming on if you're in the desert (or any part of the central US in the past few days). Mine rarely comes on and I ride in town quite a bit. I added a temp gauge and the needle rarely moves much past about 180*.

With all that said, I think the 1700s run a bit warmer than the 1500/1600s. Must be the extra 100 horsepower.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 06-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
It's easy. (I did it so it must be.) Remove your tank, place a big bowl under the front of the radiator (I prefer the generic Tupperware cake size container), unscrew the drain plug from the bottom (center) of the radiator, <snip>

You'll have to remove the fuse block first but it's only held in place by some rubber.<snip>
The 1700 rad has no drain plug, gotta pull the lower rad hose off to drain the coolant.
Not necessary to remove the fuse block, the overflow tank is behind the left side cover.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #11

WHat those guys said. Mine was doing the same thing as yours. Changed the coolant and now the fan hardley kicks on.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #12

OK, so I do the deed today. Took off the seats, tank bolts, and then notice the speedo housing might come with the tank but the key won't. Spent 20 minutes staring at the ring around the key/switch. Can't find anything on how it comes off. Look under the speedo mount and figure it must just pop out, and so it does. Disconnected the vent line and the tank moves enough that I can get to the fill cap by turning it sideways (all this before draining, just in case). Take off the left side cover(s) and pop off the lower hose. Stand it up to work out the bubbles. Fill it back up and bolt everything down. The older bikes have a drain, what's up with that? Anyway, will see how it does on Monday. Thanks for the tips.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #13

Well, the fan still comes on after 15 minutes of highway running. I guess that's just how it is.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #14

sucks

Sorry to hear,i sold mine ,the fan could run 4 mins after i shut it off,I got a goldwing, just had to leave after costing me 4500.00 loss in trade in KAW did nothing