Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 02-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #1

Riding in the WIND

So here in the Las Vegas Valley we have been getting some strong wind gusts. I am still fairly new to riding and even more new to interstate travel.

Some quick stats. I am 6'5 270 on a 2008 Nomad with stock windshield in the full up position. Average road travel is 70mph. Posted at 65mph.

Going into a head or cross wind above 60mph i begin to loose feeling in my fingers as I white knuckle the grips. Combining that with some horribly maintained road surfaces and the riding pleasure is way low.

So the question is. Normal? Will I get more used to it? Being a bigger guy is their a different shield?

Probably not much to do about the bike getting blown around but the airflow around the shield seems 'off' at higher speeds and the bike of course handles differently.

I went for a ride last weekend with some people and when we stopped for breakfast I asked the same question. An older guy at the table looked at me seriously and said in a kind voice. "I know exactly what your talking about. When it gets real windy" (puts his hand on my shoulder) "Grab your purse and stay inside".

I decided not to ask any more questions
VBA #01951
2008 Diablo Black Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #2

You hang with quite a witty crowd
Unfortunately, not to helpful. The more you fight it and white knuckle the grips the worse it will be. Try to loosen up and go with the flow more. The wind will move you around at times but will not knock you over.
You may want to try a Clearview windshield of a larger size than stock. I think some of what you are feeling is buffeting. Larger lowers along with the larger windshield will probably help.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONZO View Post
"I know exactly what your talking about. When it gets real windy" (puts his hand on my shoulder) "Grab your purse and stay inside".

Haha - got an audible guffaw out of me on that one! I like that guy.

Similarly, when I first started riding, my hips and legs would start aching after awhile. Thought it was just the ergos of the bike until I finally realized I was being light on the pedals and slightly lifting my legs...didn't want my feet to scrape the ground, I guess!

Riding pleasure increases dramatically when you relax.

Jim / Houston Texas
VBA #01936
VROC #34478
TexasVROC
2010 Nomad

Old 02-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #4

+1 on the relax . . . You have two 16" gyro's on that machine (the wheels) you'll be fine. Counter steering to compensate for the gusts might take a little thought at first, but it really does become more natural the more you get used to your bike.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #5

As you get used to it you will relax your grip automatically and will be more comfortable on the bike. It just takes a while. Even when you switch from one bike to another one there is usually a period of adjustment and becoming familiar with the new feel.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONZO View Post
So here in the Las Vegas Valley we have been getting some strong wind gusts. I am still fairly new to riding and even more new to interstate travel.

I went for a ride last weekend with some people and when we stopped for breakfast I asked the same question. An older guy at the table looked at me seriously and said in a kind voice. "I know exactly what your talking about. When it gets real windy" (puts his hand on my shoulder) "Grab your purse and stay inside".

That's funny...I'll have to remember that.

Oh, and this is wind...
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Last edited by cactusjack; 02-15-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #7

Having a little experience riding in the howling crosswinds around Las Vegas I adapt accordingly. I ride toward the center of the road to give me a little room either way to adjust/recover from the ebb and flow of the gusts.

Be carefull when passing or being passed by a large truck on the windward side. Because you're compensating into the wind and when the truck blocks the wind you may think that you're being sucked into the truck when you're actually leaning into the wind that isn't there anymore. Be ready for it.

Finally, sometimes you just have to slow down to safely continue. High winds suck. Gusty, high winds REALLY suck. But it's Las Vegas, you either learn to ride in it or you grab your purse and stay home. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 02-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #8

A tip I got when learning to ride, and then again when learning to fly an airplane. When the winds are not blowing hard and gusting, and above all not in heavy traffic, practice a gentle slalom down the road. Kind of zig-zag back and forth from the inside of one tire grove to the inside of the other. And force yourself to physically relax. In the airplane it gets you use to how the controls feel as you keep the ball centered (Not that you will know what that means or care) On the bike it gets you use to how the bike feels moving about on the road and helps you learn just how much real estate you have to work with when the wind does move you. I don't know if this method is endorsed by any of the MC training organizations, but it helped me when I was learning. Just be smart about where and when you would practice it.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #9

Thanks for all the input!!!

Just in from messing with the bike and noticed the large spaced between the shield and the front light. Ummm DUH...

I didnt notice that I could lower the 'lower' windshield. After taking it apart and cleaning it, it is in a better position.

Possibly I had two issues. Inexperience in wind and buffeting. Read a few forums on buffeting and that was a problem. Going to look at the larger lowers as well.

Got my fingers crossed for some good weather this weekend!
VBA #01951
2008 Diablo Black Nomad

Old 02-16-2012, 01:38 AM   #10

I have experienced some fairly heavy winds the last few years. Slowing down to around 50mph, give or take a bit, and staying in 4th gear is the easiest for me. The other traffic can go around me, it isn't worth fighting the Nomad. Watching the other brands like the HD's and the Wings, the Nomad is quite a bit more stable, at least I am not tossed all over the road. At the end of the day I am not really tired, more annoyed that it took me forever to get somewhere.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Old 02-16-2012, 03:42 AM   #11
Top Contributor

HONZO --- I've got some Edmonds lowers for sale ($40 plus shipping) if you're interested. They made all the difference in the world (with the stock windshield) when I had them on my bike. PM me if you're interested. They'll work with a light bar if you have one.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 02-16-2012, 05:36 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
That's funny...I'll have to remember that.

Oh, and this is wind...
Looks more like dirt.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 02-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #13
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
Looks more like dirt.
Around here, it's wind.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Around here, it's wind.
Our wind in the winter usually is white. The photo you posted reminded
me of the sandstorm in the movies Hidalgo and the Mummy.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 02-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #15

Wind just is. You cant avoid it so learn to move with it. Relaxing and know that these big old bikes arent going to get knocked off the road by anything you are likely to encounter.

I saw the warning about trucks. Basically anything big and blocky will create "collapse" turbulence about 300 feet behind at interstate speed. very annoying. swapping lanes may help or dropping back/moving up may help.

Lastly, if you think you need them, large lowers from Chuckster at http://www.chucksterscustoms.com/Products and our windshields are huge but maybe even a laminar lip at http://www.laminarlip.com/vulcnmd.php
VulcanBagger #01711, VRA/GA VRA, SCRC,
VROC #29671, AMA #1085989,
Red Knights MC GA-18 Pres, PGR