Old 03-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #16

WTB leather chaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballast
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadtom69
has anyone seen the half chaps
http://www.leatherlegs.net/
was thinking about some of these would be cooler might not protect you thighs if you went down but not as hot
These kind of defeat the whole purpose of wearing chaps.

And Loafer is this where you got yours? http://www.ssleathers.com/

::) ::)
2012 Ebony Black Kawasaski Concours 14

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #17
Sr. Contributor

WTB leather chaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballast
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadtom69
has anyone seen the half chaps
http://www.leatherlegs.net/
was thinking about some of these would be cooler might not protect you thighs if you went down but not as hot
These kind of defeat the whole purpose of wearing chaps.

And Loafer is this where you got yours? http://www.ssleathers.com/
No, but I bet those are more supple to the feel then mine. ::) Could have been a fun fitting session don't you think?

S & S Leathers were at Americade three years in a row many years ago. They were out of Texas. Could have been a part of S & S engines, not sure.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 03-15-2011, 08:06 AM   #18
Advanced Member

WTB leather chaps

Top quality, custom made chaps have some obvious differences from 'off the shelf' chaps and are often worth the money, since properly taken care of, they should last for 20 years or more.

First rule is no seams! Seams are a leak point and mean that smaller pieces or often scraps of leather are being used. Good, quality chap leather should be bought in half hide or a full hide, so piecing is never a question. I buy half hides and have more than enough for an average pair of chaps. A hide will have some small imperfections, like barb wire scratches that the tanning process does not quite remove, but to most people that is fine because a cow was wearing the hide a few days ago and that's what makes leather unique.

Second rule is no hems. Hemming leather creates a fold that will retain water and eventually rot the leather so it has to be cut off. Leather does not fray, therefore it does not need hemmed.

Third rule is the heavier the leather, the better the chaps will hang. I've used 2, 4, and 6 ounce leather and really only the 4 and 6 ounce are classed as 'chap leather'. 2 ounce leather is used for sissy little chaps that are good for nothing but show, 4 ounce leather will make a nice pair of summer chaps and 6 ounce is the ideal weight for chaps. Good protection and the right weight for the hang to be right. The lighter leather chaps have a tendency to 'ride' and can get uncomfortable on a hot day.

Fourth rule is that the zipper must have a rain flap to cover it. No flap means poor workmanship, another leak point, and just looks tacky.

Custom fit chaps are actually measured and fit in 7 places and will require at least 2 fittings - the initial fitting to check the pattern and the final fitting to make sure the fit is right. I usually will do a third fitting, before I add the yoke or the belt, just to make sure everything is where it should be. My custom chaps start at $450 and go up from there depending on how fancy you want them.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #19

WTB leather chaps

Check them out here. They have some cheapies and then some better ones further down the page. http://leatherup.com
VBA #60
2009 Vulcan Nomad 1700 - Black

Old 03-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #20

WTB leather chaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon
Greetings, Does anyone have a pair of leather chaps (size 40) for sale?
Mine are not for sale and chaps are sized by thigh, not waist. They have belts in the back and front that make them infinitely adjustable for your waist.

I don't like buying clothes, helmets or footwear online unless I'm replacing something with the exact same brand, model and size. There's nothing worse than riding for hours wearing things that don't fit right.

I went to a local leather shop here wearing what I normally wear to ride (jeans, boots) and had mine fitted for length and leg. This shop makes them by hand and they are top quality, very heavy leather, but the price was very reasonable. There's really not much to making plain chaps in that there's no complex sewing as you would need for a jacket.

So, you might be surprised that it won't cost that much more to get top quality fitted chaps at a local shop.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #21
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
WTB leather chaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon
Greetings, Does anyone have a pair of leather chaps (size 40) for sale?
Mine are not for sale and chaps are sized by thigh, not waist. They have belts in the back and front that make them infinitely adjustable for your waist.

I don't like buying clothes, helmets or footwear online unless I'm replacing something with the exact same brand, model and size. There's nothing worse than riding for hours wearing things that don't fit right.

I went to a local leather shop here wearing what I normally wear to ride (jeans, boots) and had mine fitted for length and leg. This shop makes them by hand and they are top quality, very heavy leather, but the price was very reasonable. There's really not much to making plain chaps in that there's no complex sewing as you would need for a jacket.

So, you might be surprised that it won't cost that much more to get top quality fitted chaps at a local shop.
I agree and have done the same as far as fitting or getting measured for them. But cost will and does vary depending on just where you live in the U.S. and Canada.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 03-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #22

WTB leather chaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy ... #00722
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy

I agree and have done the same as far as fitting or getting measured for them. But cost will and does vary depending on just where you live in the U.S. and Canada.
Agreed. Custom made items can vary significantly in price. My chaps are plain black from a single hide and very heavy. Belts, zippers and snaps. No frills.

I also don't intend to insult leather workers when I say that there's not much to making chaps. What I mean is, there's not much to basic chaps relative to making other more complex items like jackets.