Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 04-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
Mega-Contributor

Infuriating

What the !@#$ is wrong with people these days?

Motorcyclist loses part of leg after hit by car in Tempe

by Ian Sullivan - Apr. 26, 2010 04:15 PM
The Arizona Republic

A motorcyclist lost his right leg below the knee after a driver ran into him in Tempe early Saturday morning, police reports said.

Tempe police arrived at University Drive and State Route 143 about 2:30 a.m. in reference to a serious accident.

Investigation revealed that Michael Markulin, 24, of Phoenix was driving a Toyota west on University Drive when it collided with the motorcycle, which had stopped at a red light, police said.

Further investigation showed that Markulin was traveling more than 60 mph, police said. Witnesses told police that Markulin showed signs of alcohol impairment, the reports said.

According to the police report, Markulin was seen leaving the accident on foot and did not aid the injured motorcyclist.

Tempe police tracked Markulin down at his home about 11 a.m., the report said. Markulin told police he hit the motorcycle and left the scene.

He also said he had no intention of alerting the police about the accident.

Markulin was booked on charges of aggravated assault and fleeing the scene of a serious injury accident.

The investigation is ongoing.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #2

Infuriating

There has been a story on the news here about a guy who watched a guy buy an ipad, then followed him to the parking garage and grabbed it and ran. Problem was that the bag was wrapped around his hand, and it stripped all the meat off his pinky finger, and it had to be amputated.

So I've been thinking how bad it would suck to loose a finger to a prick like that who just wanted to steal an ipad. Losing your leg makes losing a pinky look like nothing.

I hope that I never lose a limb while riding. And I wish the driver of the car would get some kind of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charge, not leaving the scene of an accident.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Infuriating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
There has been a story on the news here about a guy who watched a guy buy an ipad, then followed him to the parking garage and grabbed it and ran. Problem was that the bag was wrapped around his hand, and it stripped all the meat off his pinky finger, and it had to be amputated.

So I've been thinking how bad it would suck to loose a finger to a prick like that who just wanted to steal an ipad. Losing your leg makes losing a pinky look like nothing.

I hope that I never lose a limb while riding. And I wish the driver of the car would get some kind of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charge, not leaving the scene of an accident.
I heard about that on the news here. The world is full of scumbags. What bothers me the most about the motorcycle accident is that the driver didn't give two s**ts about the guy on the bike. I hope his lack of remorse is considered when the judge sentences him.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Infuriating

His lack of remorse and failing to render aid will get the sh*thead some jail time. Judges seem to not like persons leaving scenes of injury accidents so well and it seems most of the time jail time will be served, lets hope!!!

Old 04-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #5

Infuriating

It seems like it is becoming more common that people do not want to take responsibility for their own actions. We can only hope that this nut case sees some jail time.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Infuriating

Holy crap. He had no intention of notifiying the police of the accident. I am glad it happened where people saw the accident. One thought on how much of an idiot this prick is - He leaves his car there and doesn't expect them to find him???????? If I did something like this, it would truely be an accident and I would be ready to carry that poor man on my back to the hospital. I would then beat my head against the wall thinking why was I so stupid and caused the accident.

Personally, lock the SOB up with Bubba the Biker and let him make him his B!tch.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 04-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
Mega-Contributor

Infuriating

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman
Holy crap. He had no intention of notifiying the police of the accident. I am glad it happened where people saw the accident. One thought on how much of an idiot this prick is - He leaves his car there and doesn't expect them to find him???????? If I did something like this, it would truely be an accident and I would be ready to carry that poor man on my back to the hospital. I would then beat my head against the wall thinking why was I so stupid and caused the accident.

Personally, lock the SOB up with Bubba the Biker and let him make him his B!tch.
He can share a cell with that crackhead that rear ended the group of riders and killed 4 of them. Then "Bubba" gets a two-for-one deal.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 04-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #8

Infuriating

Quote:
+1

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 04-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Infuriating

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:

He can share a cell with that crackhead that rear ended the group of riders and killed 4 of them. Then "Bubba" gets a two-for-one deal.
RLMAO
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 04-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #10

Infuriating

Here sure sounds like a bad apple.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #11

Infuriating

Quote:
Same. It's interesting that people can look at the world in such a selfish manner, that they can eventually overcome the instinct to help those who are hurting and in need of emergency medical care.

In recent years I have seen a huge increase in people who do hit and runs with pedestrians. They just leave them in the road bleeding and mangled. I wonder if society has changed, or if it is just getting reported more by the media?

I've been a news junkie for 30 years, and it sure seems like it happens a lot more in the past ten years.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Infuriating

No respect for others is what has happened to this country. We have tons of bad apples here.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 04-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #13

Infuriating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
Quote:
Same. It's interesting that people can look at the world in such a selfish manner, that they can eventually overcome the instinct to help those who are hurting and in need of emergency medical care.

In recent years I have seen a huge increase in people who do hit and runs with pedestrians. They just leave them in the road bleeding and mangled. I wonder if society has changed, or if it is just getting reported more by the media?

I've been a news junkie for 30 years, and it sure seems like it happens a lot more in the past ten years.
Dan, I have to agree with you. I've noticed in the last four years in Las Vegas that more often than not if a pedestrian, bicyclist or motorcyclist is hit the driver of the car speeds away from the scene. I thought it was a Las Vegas thing. (round the clock drinking, no insurance, illegal aliens) but it looks like this may be a national problem. Furthermore, about half the time the hit & run driver never gets caught.

I just can't image leaving someone injured, laying on the pavement while I just drove away. Infuriating!!!!!!

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 04-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #14

Infuriating

This seems to be a growing thing people have no respect for other people. Just think how easy it would have been to dial 911

Old 04-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #15

Infuriating

In my opinion society has been changing for a number of years, we now live in a ME society at least on the roadways.
Want confirmation? Honk at someone who is changing lanes and cutting you off, and you are just as likely to get a finger for a response instead of them moving back into their lane.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136