Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 04-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #16

Dropped the Nomad

Dropped mine a couple of times. First time was about 2 weeks after I got it home. Dropped it getting it out of the garage, crash bars are wonderful. Was so embarrassed and did not want any of the neighbors to see me, so I really horsed it back up.

2nd time I got it out of the garage and noticed I had my riding pegs folded up. So first I kicked the right one down, then picked up my left foot and kicked the left peg down. Only problem was I forgot to put the kick stand down first.

The bike launched me into the shrubs about 5 feet away, I never touched the ground. Picked the bike up, more carefully this time, and went back into the house to change my formerly nice tee shirt, which was now in shreds.

Wife asked me if I tangled with a weed wacker, when I told her what happened she laughed like crazy. I did not really think it was all that funny, but she insists it was and still is.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #17

Dropped the Nomad

That's why the guards are there. These bike are super forgiving and pretty much just rest on the guards and floorboards.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 04-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #18

Dropped the Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdarby
1. There are only two types of motorcycle riders; Those that have dropped their bike and liars.
I have never dropped any bike i have owned and I have owned 10.
which category do I fit ;)
Lucky!

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 04-07-2010, 06:20 AM   #19

Dropped the Nomad

I remember Chaz forgetting to put down the kickstand at a gas pump in front of a large group of bikers we were riding with....and his Nomad was only a few weeks old! He figured he just went ahead and got that "first drop" out of the way!!!! ;)

I wrote about my embarrassing drop in here last summer. Following a group and went to make a tight right turn (almost like a U-turn) on an incline and had to suddenly stop because a car crested the hill coming the other way. After stopping and then having to start again, making such a tight turn, I tried to start with my handlebars turned and my bike just went right on over! :-[

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 04-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #20
Advanced Member

Dropped the Nomad

Leaving the gas pump, trying to do a tight u-turn to exit the same way I came in, car came in to further tighten my path.

Muscled it up, stepped back on and rode off like nothing was out of the ordinary. Full-face helmet hid my embarassment.

Crash bars work great.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #21

Dropped the Nomad

I haven't dropped the Nomad (yet), but I have dropped my 900LT a couple of times. Once making a left hand turn and a car came out of a blind spot. The second I had stopped to put on my rain gear and missed the kick stand and down she went. To say I was embarrassed is an understatement.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #22
Advanced Member

Dropped the Nomad

At least 4 times making a tight (to the stops) u-turn and using the front brake. Once, when I started the bike with it still on the kickstand, but forgot it was in gear when I let go of the clutch, and last year on my way back from Custer when I tried to turn around on a road and got in some mud, and the bike bucked me off.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #23

Dropped the Nomad

One thing about dropping our bikes......I think we all learned what "not to do again".

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 04-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #24

Dropped the Nomad

Been there done that twice ... enough said :-[

Brian Muscat
bamuscat@gmail.com
Barrie, ON

KawaNOW #1404
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Ultra)
Red and Black because they're the fastest colours!
Winter is nature's way of telling us to add more Chrome!

Old 04-09-2010, 09:24 AM   #25

Dropped the Nomad

As I said, I don't worry about dropping mine too much. I bought it for me to use, not to keep perfect for the next guy.

If I wanted to "push it" during parking lot practice, but then didn't in case I dropped it... I'd feel like I was just babysitting the bike for whoever the new owner ends up being.

I RIDE IT!

Old 04-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #26

Dropped the Nomad

True story. Was washing my Nomad in the driveway and had a 2 x 4 under the side stand. Must have bumped the bike inadvertently and over she went. I started to pick her up and realized she is a heavy beast. My brother was on his way over to my house so I figured I would wait for him to help me get her up. I decided to keep on washing her until my brother got there. He pulls up and sees me washing my bike laying on it's side and says "Why do you lay your bike over to wash it?" I'm still not sure if he was f***ing with me or if he was serious. Not a scratch on her.

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2021 Indian Roadmaster Limited
2022 Indian Roadmaster

Old 04-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #27

Dropped the Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby
True story. Was washing my Nomad in the driveway and had a 2 x 4 under the side stand. Must have bumped the bike inadvertently and over she went. I started to pick her up and realized she is a heavy beast. My brother was on his way over to my house so I figured I would wait for him to help me get her up. I decided to keep on washing her until my brother got there. He pulls up and sees me washing my bike laying on it's side and says "Why do you lay your bike over to wash it?" I'm still not sure if he was f***ing with me or if he was serious. Not a scratch on her.
You should have replied, "Help me turn her over so I can do the other side".

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 04-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #28

Dropped the Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby
You should have replied, "Help me turn her over so I can do the other side".
Good one!!!

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 04-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #29

Dropped the Nomad

Opps, I spoke too soon I laid the Nomad down yesterday, with my wife on back. This was the first time she had been on it, and as others have said went to make a hard left turn when a car came over the hill. and had to lay it down. Lucky no one hurt but did get a scare. The bars did exactly what they were suppose to do and kept the bike from crushing my wife's foot. I was supprised also my wife got back on and we continued our outing. The Lord was looking out for us on this outing.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #30

Dropped the Nomad

Opps, I spoke too soon I laid the Nomad down yesterday, with my wife on back. This was the first time she had been on it, and as others have said went to make a hard left turn when a car came over the hill. and had to lay it down. Lucky no one hurt but did get a scare. The bars did exactly what they were suppose to do and kept the bike from crushing my wife's foot. I was supprised also my wife got back on and we continued our outing. The Lord was looking out for us on this outing.