Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 03-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #1

Arizona considers lane splitting

HB 2475 establishes a one-year program which allows motorcycle operators to overtake and pass vehicles in the same lane and to operate motorcycles between the lanes of traffic or between adjacent rows of vehicles when traffic is stopped.

Arizona Revised Statutes (A.R.S.) § 28-903 entitles motorcycle operators the full use of a lane of traffic, but does not allow operators to pass in the same lane as the vehicles they are overtaking or to operate their vehicles between lanes of traffic.

A.R.S. § 28-601 defines a roadway as the portion of a highway that is improved, designed or ordinarily used for vehicle travel, not including the berm or the shoulder.

Provisions
  • Allows motorcycle operators who are in stopped traffic within counties that have populations of more than 2,000,000 persons to do either or both of the following:[/*:m:r28tp39t]
  • Overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken.[/*:m:r28tp39t]
  • Operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent rows of vehicles. [/*:m:r28tp39t]
  • Repeals this legislation from and after December 31, 2011.[/*:m:r28tp39t]
  • Makes this legislation effective from and after December 31, 2010.[/*:m:r28tp39t]

Considering how hot (110F/43C) it gets down here in the summer maybe this is a good idea. At least a rider would continue to move instead of being baked at a stand still for an extended time. Then again, it might create more problems when the cagers are trying to move into another lane regardless of the traffic being stopped.

Currently, I see a lot of riders that will chance the ticket rather than be broiled in stopped traffic. Probably the California riders can answer the question better since lane splitting is allowed in their state. Is it more or less dangerous?

2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

This law applies to Maricopa County ONLY, since it is the only AZ county with a population over 2,000,000.

I saw a lot of riders splitting lanes when I was in the Bay Area last September. I did notice they weren't Nomad or Ultra riders, it was mostly sportbikes and Sportsters.

I'm sure some of the cagers are going to take offense to a bike splitting the lanes and will undoubtedly take it upon themselves to pull some stupid move to "teach them a lesson".

Laurie Roberts (an Arizona Republic columnist) wrote about this the other day, she characterized it as motorcyclists "weaving in and out between the lanes of traffic". She's giving people the wrong idea.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-22-2010, 01:28 AM   #3

Even if they were to make it legal here I wouldn't do it. Too many wise guys that would move over a bit or open a door. Road rage sometimes tends to be a problem around New Orleans and Baton Rouge. I've seen guys on sportbikes risk a ticket doing it but like you said CJ, I've never seen someone on a cruiser attempt it.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 03-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #4

That would be a good idea, it at least gets some traffic moving. Ive done it a few times here when there is a bad traffic tieup due to an accident. I can pass a lot of cars in a couple minutes, even though Im going very slow while Im doing it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-22-2010, 09:25 AM   #5

It seems to work really well in California, so I think it would just be a matter of setting a new norm elswere. Once the cars got used to it, it ought to work well.

I might let some others be the one to teach the new norm at the beginning :)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #6

::) Here in the NE you'd be risking some real serious problems.
As CJ has said there would definitely be plenty of self righteous cagers who would be ready to harm you to prevent you from getting ahead of them. :( The drivers in and around major cities are extremely aggressive and competitive. It never fails whenever we ride through any urban areas there is always someone trying to race you, or show you who is King of the Road. ::) Thats one of many reasons why 98% of all my riding is on secondary or country roads. ;)

Old 03-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #7

Lloyd, you havn't seen aggressive ignorant drivers until your in the Toronto area. Unless you have eyes all around your head there is someone trying to do some stupid move every few seconds. Even Buffalo's rush hour is a pleasure for me to ride in compared to Ontario.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-22-2010, 09:52 PM   #8

Geez Steve I wouldn't last too long up there. ::) The local morons are tough enough for me to deal with.
I had an old lady look streight at me last wk. as she then darted out in front of me. ??? What are they thinkin.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
I'm sure some of the cagers are going to take offense to a bike splitting the lanes and will undoubtedly take it upon themselves to pull some stupid move to "teach them a lesson".
that's what "Window Beaters" are for Scott!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #10

I lane split only if the traffic is moving at a walking pace or less, even then I don't go faster than about 10 mph and feel nervous going in between two vehicles of greater height than me (SUV's or Large Trucks). As long as you are careful when you do it I think it is fairly safe, I even thank people that move over to make more room for me as I go by. I do see some people that buzz thru at 50mph + but I just move out of the way for them, they can take their lives in their hands if they choose but they aren't going to push me to go faster

Old 03-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
that's what "Window Beaters" are for Scott!
BD, How bout sending a couple out here!

Old 03-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #12

Here is the instructional video, you might want to remove your hard bags, and get narrower handle bars before trying this with a Nomad!

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc
Here is the instructional video, you might want to remove your hard bags, and get narrower handle bars before trying this with a Nomad!

Oh No!........That Guy's NUTZ! ::)

Old 03-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc

Couldn't keep watching it

Old 03-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #15
Top Contributor

I got about half way through it and had to quit. Those guys are insane.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009