Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #181
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
I bought a tourpak for my 2007 Nomad and it had a black gelcoat finish. I thought it would look okay with my black Nomad. It didn't. I ended up having it painted HD vivid black. The gelcoat had a dull sheen to it, even when waxed and buffed. I can't speak for the finish on the Reckless fairings since I've never seen their gelcoat.
Hiya Scott. I thought that was a Reckless fairing on your Nomad.
Looking at pics of Jared's bike in his walk around video it appears my Phat risers won't work as they will cover the radio. It's been awhile since I bought the risers so I don't remember if they are just Phats or Phat 2's.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #182
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezer View Post
Hiya Scott. I thought that was a Reckless fairing on your Nomad.
Looking at pics of Jared's bike in his walk around video it appears my Phat risers won't work as they will cover the radio. It's been awhile since I bought the risers so I don't remember if they are just Phats or Phat 2's.
Hey Bob,

Jared doesn't have a Reckless fairing. I know the Reckless will work with *some* risers, but I'm not sure which ones. I had Chucksters risers on my Nomad and had to remove them when I installed the fairing.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #183
Top Contributor

Thanks again. Maybe someone else will chime in here on the risers.

Although a 2006 in the Reckless website photos looks like it has my risers on.

Last edited by beezer; 08-10-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #184

Bob like CJ said Checkster Risers wont work with a Reckless. On the 1500 the Phatt risers hit the radio housing.. On my 1500 I used HD 4" Pullback risers and those worked just close to the radio housing I think I have some pics of the set up Ill look and post.I do know I have a few pics of me in a Thong if you want to see them .. As for the New Reckless I believe Alex changes the radio housing a tad so risers can be used

Not a great shot but that is with the HD Risers

Last edited by radco; 08-19-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #185
Top Contributor

Thanks Rich but yours is a 1500 so it's no help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #186

Still most economical to go with complete package?

I have been looking into getting a Reckless fairing for my '00 1500 Nomad and while I have seen numerous instances where people have gotten a bare fairing and then tried to install their own components - the most all went into issues finding an electrical connector or modifying the fairing to accept the speakers they purchased, etc.

I have no way to compare sound between 4 round speakers and 2 oblong and was wondering if anyone would chime in on what the advantage is of going with 4 smaller units? (is this because the stereo unit is designed to power 4 speakers and so by going with that you utilize the entire output of it more effectively?)

If anyone has purchased a bare fairing and installed their own devices has there been a reference put together for getting the appropriate electrical connectors and such so that each buyer does not have to independently research and find the needed parts?

Scott

Old 11-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #187
Advanced Member

U r on the right track most stereo r set up for four speakers. Now all u need to decide is if u would consider a tour pak with the two extra speakers behind you. I have two 6x9 in the fairing with 2 On the tour pak. I have never had four up front so I am of little help as far as a choice. I guess it would depend a lot on if u ride two up or single

Old 11-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #188

I have the Reckless with the 4 speakers system. Sounds good for me but my wife does not here it well. I dont have a tourpak. The sony stereo is cheap. My display breaks up or gos blank. Will be replaceing it next spring. Only had it 4 months. Sony will fix it under warrenty but why bother. It will just go bad agian. I might fix it if i can find a repair shop near by then just sell the stereo. Does anyone know if the Marine stereos are better or has had a better stereo without problems. I want an ipod one.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #189

I have the Sony Marine with the ipod dock and it sounds very good to me. It has enough power for my 6 1/2" and seperate tweeters and I can still hear them over my V&H pipes. My wife can not say the same, all she knows is that something is on. I am now in the process of trying to get some handlebar controls. I should know more on that next week. It has only been on the bike for a couple of months, so as far as long term durability I can not answer that question.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #190
Mega-Contributor

There's a reason Harley mounts speakers on the tourpak - it's so the passenger can hear the stereo. They also mount them in the lids of the top opening saddlebags. I'm sure speakers could be mounted in the tops of the Nomad bags with a little ingenuity.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #191

That's where the previous owner mounted the rear speakers on mine, and to me, it does make a difference even when riding solo.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp58 View Post
I have the Reckless with the 4 speakers system. Sounds good for me but my wife does not here it well. I dont have a tourpak. The sony stereo is cheap. My display breaks up or gos blank. Will be replaceing it next spring. Only had it 4 months. Sony will fix it under warrenty but why bother. It will just go bad agian. I might fix it if i can find a repair shop near by then just sell the stereo. Does anyone know if the Marine stereos are better or has had a better stereo without problems. I want an ipod one.
It appears they went away from the Sony unit at Reckless as well, it now has an Infinity Bluetooth unit listed... I would not be intending to put a tourpak on this one in the near future either.

I like the look of both the 6x9's and the 4 5.25's - the single 6.5's make it look like there is just too much real estate left empty.

What size wind screen did you go with? I like the look of the Smoke in photos, but for riding at night (which I do a lot) I am thinking that perhaps the 8" smoke would impede vision a little too much as times...?

Old 11-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #193
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
That's where the previous owner mounted the rear speakers on mine, and to me, it does make a difference even when riding solo.
Out of curiosity, I'd like to see some pictures of the speakers and how they are mounted. I thought about doing this to my Nomad, but didn't want to tear up those very expensive saddlebags.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 11-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmoritz View Post
It appears they went away from the Sony unit at Reckless as well, it now has an Infinity Bluetooth unit listed... I would not be intending to put a tourpak on this one in the near future either.

I like the look of both the 6x9's and the 4 5.25's - the single 6.5's make it look like there is just too much real estate left empty.

What size wind screen did you go with? I like the look of the Smoke in photos, but for riding at night (which I do a lot) I am thinking that perhaps the 8" smoke would impede vision a little too much as times...?
I had the 8" clear. It was to short. I'm 5' 9". It is a very cheap shield that comes with it. Just a flat piece of plexiglass. You have to bend it to install it. Mine started to crack at the bolted area. I bought a Longride shield 11". It is the clear flat top with curve. Works great and no buffeting. Wife loves it to. Just looking over it by an inch.

Last edited by jp58; 11-04-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:18 AM   #195

Long Ride Shields

I looked into those and find them quite interesting. Went and subscribed to their Facebook page too as they offer good discounts periodically I found - just missed the last sale ended on the 19th for 40% off everything...

Getting closer to pulling the trigger - a little more research into whether I get one with or without the stereo/speakers still tho is needed I think.