Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-23-2016, 11:27 AM   #1

Life changing experience -- almost

This morning I decided I'd ride to work. It's a 62 mile trek one way, but worth the saddle time to me. I ride most days. It was a brisk 24* this morning, so I bundled up accordingly and hit the road. Driving along I see a very large buck mule deer on the right shoulder walking toward the road from the tree line. I slowed to see what he was going to do. With about ten yards between us, he decided he wanted to cross the street. He stepped into my lane and I thought that was going to be the end. I was able to steer around him because thankfully he stopped. My heart was pounding, but I continued along my way. There was some snow yesterday, but it had been sunny in the afternoon and not really any accumulation left on the ground, so I dismissed the possibility of the road being slick. One should never dismiss this possibility in November in Colorado. Areas of the road that are shaded during the day still had some ice. I hadn't seen any to this point because that part of the road was exposed to the sun all of the previous afternoon. Most icy spots had dry tracks from traffic, but there was one ~30 yard stretch that was a sheet of ice. I rolled off the throttle and held the Nomad as straight as I could. The bike was wiggling around on the ice so I put my feet down and skied across that little rink. After these two incidents within moments of each other, I considered that riding season may really be over for 2016. Nah, but I don't think I'll be riding at 5:30am again, at least until Spring.

De Oppresso Liber

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by cedar; 11-23-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
Advanced Member

Oh yeah, ya gotta love that "black ice" was we call it. The road can look completely dry on a cold morning but then there are those very dangerous patches where the sun has not quite melted off the ice.

And then there are the deer. I always wonder just why they decide to cross the road when I am riding by.

And 24 deg at 0530? You need a pair of those muffs Cedar. :)

Old 11-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #3

Oh yeah. Definitely gotta get some of those muffs. Wore some down mitts with hand warmers in them this morning. Felt weird on the grips, but fingers were warm.

De Oppresso Liber

Old 11-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #4

WOW that's a real pucker factor!
Glad you made it through the ice sledding and deer obstacle course

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 11-23-2016, 12:22 PM   #5

As soon as we get those iffy road conditions the road crews gently remind us to park the bike with generous applications of salt and or sand. As for the deer, glade you missed him. We have so many deer here that come the fall or winter months they often out number the amount of cars I meet on the road as it gets dark.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #6
Top Contributor

https://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/se...e&action=click

Old 11-24-2016, 04:22 AM   #7

Have had that happen, on 2 occassions, in about 6 years. I mounted a ultrasonic animal gizmo on my bike....also have one on my truck. Seems to get their attention. My dogs have learned its sound....meet me at the driveway, day or night.
Now weither it'll keep deer from running out there....I guess it'd warn them. I plastered on in a truck going thru Al. back in the early 90's....thank god I wasn't on my bike!
Glad you got by unscathed!

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 11-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #8

Maybe this is the solution.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 11-24-2016, 11:40 AM   #9

OMG, that is so funny. I got tears in my eyes. LMAO

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 11-24-2016, 12:58 PM   #10
Advanced Member

What kid of gizmo is that DL? I've seen the one's that are driven by the air passing through them but a lot of the Virginia riders when I lived there called them deer callers. It's interesting that they worked for you.

We've got deer and bear in our area. I almost hit a moose while riding in northern BC. Scary it was. The things are as big as a pickup truck and move very fast.

My Auzzie friends used to send me pics of dead Kangaroos and destroyed bikes. Apparently they are a real problem down under.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
What kid of gizmo is that DL? I've seen the one's that are driven by the air passing through them but a lot of the Virginia riders when I lived there called them deer callers. It's interesting that they worked for you.

We've got deer and bear in our area. I almost hit a moose while riding in northern BC. Scary it was. The things are as big as a pickup truck and move very fast.

My Auzzie friends used to send me pics of dead Kangaroos and destroyed bikes. Apparently they are a real problem down under.
Well Nav, the one I have on my bike and truck is called Animal Lover. You could get them back in the 90's. When I sold my ElectraGlide, I transfered it to the Nomad. I was gonna replace it with a new one. Couldn't find them anymore.
But, heres its replacement.....
https://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp...-repeller.aspx
Looks kinda the same, maybe its made by the same co.
Mine hooks to the battery, and it senses when the vehicle is started, stays on till the vehicle is turned off. Guess it senses voltage....
Then theres these....
https://www.kemo-electronic.de/en/Ca...erformance.php

I've read where they have several models for the Australian outback for the Kangaroos and such there, too. I think its maybe made by another mfg'er, but they're avail....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 11-24-2016 at 06:02 PM.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #12

Problem is with these deer whistles is not if they get the animal's attention, I'm sure they do, it is what the animal does that is totally unpredictable. They are wild animals, they don't see the road as a danger or the route that danger will travel along toward them. They are just as likely to jump out in front of a moving vehicle as run the other way. We have tons of deer here and every evening and morning it is not uncommon to have a dozen or so out behind my house or find them all along the roads especially in winter when they come lick the salt off the road. Their hearing is very good and no doubt they hear a bike or car coming long before they see it whistle or no whistle, same if I go outside and they are 2-3 hundred feet away, the slightest noise and the ears go up and they stare in the direct of the noise but do not run off or move, they hold their ground till they access the threat and then dart off.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 11-24-2016, 08:06 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Good job on the near miss. I wish you continued good luck.

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Old 11-24-2016, 09:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Problem is with these deer whistles is not if they get the animal's attention, I'm sure they do, it is what the animal does that is totally unpredictable. They are wild animals, they don't see the road as a danger or the route that danger will travel along toward them. They are just as likely to jump out in front of a moving vehicle as run the other way. We have tons of deer here and every evening and morning it is not uncommon to have a dozen or so out behind my house or find them all along the roads especially in winter when they come lick the salt off the road. Their hearing is very good and no doubt they hear a bike or car coming long before they see it whistle or no whistle, same if I go outside and they are 2-3 hundred feet away, the slightest noise and the ears go up and they stare in the direct of the noise but do not run off or move, they hold their ground till they access the threat and then dart off.
I'm totally with you CNC, thats why when I see them, I start slowing down, blowing my horn, which usually scares the bejesus outta them (Air Horn). If they're in bolt mode, I try and get them do it before I get there or get too close. If reving the engine doesn't do it, usually the horn will.
I live in a desolate place, far off the hiway, its not uncommon for me to come around a few curves and see them on the road, or standing out in the pasture, or see them dart across the road when I'm coming home.
I try and afford them every oppurtunity to get away or get gone before I arrive.
I was either toward the start of this year or last you, one jumped out, ran along side for a couple of seconds, I slowed down, ran down the road aways, then, decided to go across the road.
Yep, totally unpredictable....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 11-24-2016, 11:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
I'm totally with you CNC, thats why when I see them, I start slowing down, blowing my horn, which usually scares the bejesus outta them (Air Horn). If they're in bolt mode, I try and get them do it before I get there or get too close. If reving the engine doesn't do it, usually the horn will.
I live in a desolate place, far off the hiway, its not uncommon for me to come around a few curves and see them on the road, or standing out in the pasture, or see them dart across the road when I'm coming home.
I try and afford them every oppurtunity to get away or get gone before I arrive.
I was either toward the start of this year or last you, one jumped out, ran along side for a couple of seconds, I slowed down, ran down the road aways, then, decided to go across the road.
Yep, totally unpredictable....
Yup and sometimes around here you just have to stop and wait for the parade to go by.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136