Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 04-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #1

Lets liven it up a bit

Things are kinda dull around here lately so here is a link for ya.
I didn't read it yet as I am going riding down to the finger lakes today.
I'll get back on tonight to see what everyone thinks.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/moto...amed-6C9632642
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #2

I'm not surprised by the increase in deaths for those not using a helmet ... I am surprised by how many are drinking and driving! Still .... I've also never driven a bike with ABS brakes ... maybe my next one. I'm 59 in a another month ... and considering taking a skills upgrade course.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Stir the pot and then run?

I'm going to say that the rise in deaths over the past 15 years is due to distracted driving. People talking on cell phones, texting, messing with iPods, etc. Some new cars today are equipped with iPad-like devices in the dash that do everything except cook your lunch. Cell phone ownership has grown exponentially in the past 15 years.

I am not against helmets, but blaming not wearing helmets for motorcycle deaths is like blaming the lack of bulletproof vests for the deaths in Newtown.

They need to address the root cause of the issue. Politicians don't have the balls to ban the use of cellphones while driving.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Last edited by cactusjack; 04-28-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #4

I agree with Scott on this. Yes helmets may save lives but distracted driving is a huge issue that and squids over riding their ability. No facts to back this up but I feel Cruizer/bagger/touring riders mostly loose their life due to being in an accident where a distracted driver is involed. Sport bikes are mostly ridden by young inexperienced riders and when you give a squid a stock bike capable of 180 mph it's a recipe for trouble.. Combine that with no helmet and bad drivers and people die.

I'm not a fan of helmets, reduces my enjoyment of the riding experience. Living in Hawaii I also ride in shorts, t-shirt and soft shoes, yes yes I know ATGATT. My choice, in 50 years of riding I've dropped a bike twice both times with no injuries, might go out today and wish I had gear on when some tourist looking at everything except me decides my life is not worth caring about but again my choice. Motorcycles are dangerous so it's my responsibility to be sure my skills are up to the challenge. Ride defensively and view every other vehicle on the road as a loaded gun. When fate decides to take me so be it but I will not live in fear of the unknown..

So to answer TC's post: I think more details need to be determined before a blanket statement can be made that helmet laws are the only cause of rider deaths. For the most part being hit by a 3 ton steel object is the cause of death.
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 04-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #5

Stir, stir...
I believe the article is spot-on. Wearing a seat belt saves lives. Wearing a helmet saves lives. Wearing a life vest in the swimming pool saves lives. Wearing padding, neck brace and helmet while showering saves lives. Cutting the grass with manual push mowers saves lives. WRONG QUESTION! It is not government's place to save us from ourselves! While I will not ride with less than a full-face helmet, I have no problem if you want to ride in nothing but your underwear. If you want to rock climb with no safety rope, I don't care. So long as any activity you are doing does not increase risk to me or mine, do your thing! Do not however, expect my taxes to pay your or your family's bills if something bad happens to you and safety equipment could have reasonably prevented or reduced the severity of injury. This is supposed to be the "Land of the free," not some ogre of a nanny-state.

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
Stir, stir...
I believe the article is spot-on. Wearing a seat belt saves lives. Wearing a helmet saves lives. Wearing a life vest in the swimming pool saves lives. Wearing padding, neck brace and helmet while showering saves lives. Cutting the grass with manual push mowers saves lives. WRONG QUESTION! It is not government's place to save us from ourselves! While I will not ride with less than a full-face helmet, I have no problem if you want to ride in nothing but your underwear. If you want to rock climb with no safety rope, I don't care. So long as any activity you are doing does not increase risk to me or mine, do your thing! Do not however, expect my taxes to pay your or your family's bills if something bad happens to you and safety equipment could have reasonably prevented or reduced the severity of injury. This is supposed to be the "Land of the free," not some ogre of a nanny-state.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 04-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
Top Contributor

The lack of helmets may very well have caused PART of the increase in motorcycle deaths. That still doesn't give the liars (um, sorry...I meant "politicians") the right to mandate helmets. I happen to wear mine. If you don't want to, you know the risks. We all have to die some day. Might as well go out doing what you love.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 04-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #8

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Stir the pot and then run?

I'm going to say that the rise in deaths over the past 15 years is due to distracted driving. People talking on cell phones, texting, messing with iPods, etc. Some new cars today are equipped with iPad-like devices in the dash that do everything except cook your lunch. Cell phone ownership has grown exponentially in the past 15 years.

I am not against helmets, but blaming not wearing helmets for motorcycle deaths is like blaming the lack of bulletproof vests for the deaths in Newtown.

They need to address the root cause of the issue. Politicians don't have the balls to ban the use of cellphones while driving.
Not the Cat Man.

If you ax me, I say if some folks weren't so damm mean, and was right wiff Jesus, they wouldn't have to worry about not wearing a helmet.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 04-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #9

In Michigan, a state police report found that motorcycle deaths surged 18 percent during 2012 – the year lawmakers repealed the state’s helmet requirement.
If they surged 18 % in one year I don't think you can blame that on cell phone use. Sure that probably played a part as did crotchrocket newbes, drunk riding etc.

NHTSA estimates motorcyclists are 37 times more likely to die in a crash than a person riding in a passenger car.
Now there is a statement that took a lot of research I mean no shit Dick Tracy.

Meanwhile, motorcycle manufacturers are being encouraged to add new safety features. According to Consumer Reports, bikes equipped with anti-lock brake technology have a 37 percent lower chance of being involved in a fatal crash.
Really, it has been proven that a skilled rider on a non ABS bike can stop in a shorter distance than he can on an ABS equipped bike. I think ABS is way over rated even in cars and trucks.

I wear my full face helmet whenever I am on the bike. I always wear boots and full coverage gloves and almost always wear a leather or mesh armor jacket. I used to think everyone should wear at least a 3/4 helmet and gloves but now I believe if you can see into the future and know when you are going to crash then you only have to wear all the gear on that day.

The 300 mile trip down to the finger lakes was great. Thanks for asking. It is a very scenic area of NY State. It is the first long ride of the season for Cindy and I. I got the accessories from the 07 transferred over to the new to me 08. Got 45 MPG. No ping, I'm happy.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #10

TC...you were in my neck of the woods today!
Last week we had a warm afternoon so my wife and I rode all the way around Owasco Lake. That inspired me to ride around each and every Finger Lake! It should be a nice goal for this summer!

'01 Vulcan Nomad 1500 Fi
'05 Yamaha V Star Classic 1100

Old 04-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #11

As a michigander, last year was the first that one could ride here without a helmet, and deaths did rise by 18%. while i would never ride without one, and one never knows what would have happened if they had worn a helmet, it should also be noted that many of the deaths were unlicensed drivers.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Really, it has been proven that a skilled rider on a non ABS bike can stop in a shorter distance than he can on an ABS equipped bike.
ABS was never meant to stop a vehicle in a shorter distance. It was meant to keep you in control. Most of the time, in real world conditions, skill has nothing to do with it. What if a deer runs out in front of you and you're on wet leaves (or some gravel you didn't see)? I guarantee my ABS equipped bike will stop standing up before your non-ABS equipped bike will. I can slam on my brakes on wet leaves and stay in control (did it last fall). Can you do that? It was at night and I didn't see the leaves. Even if I had, I wouldn't have known they were wet. Even a skilled rider probably would have locked up a wheel causing some loss of control. Maybe Michael Schumacher could have saved it. I know I couldn't have.

I'll give you the "loud pipes" thing. Not this.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 04-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefK View Post
TC...you were in my neck of the woods today!
If I had of known where you live Chief we would have stopped in for a chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post

I'll give you the "loud pipes" thing. Not this.
Hey, at least we agree on one thing Chris
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-29-2013, 01:11 AM   #14

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
What a suck up!

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 04-29-2013, 06:04 AM   #15
Sr. Contributor

I don't agree, fatter tires give better performance, straight pipes give better performance,
my ears give better performance when not covered. ABS gives better performance.

Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]