Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Front brake hose to steel line

I have a 2004 1500 classic with a single front brake caliper. The bike has stock brake hoses on it now. The front brake works good but I feel things could be better. So in my thoughts to have better braking power, I bought a Spiegler stainless steel front only brake line which I have not installed yet. I guess I bought the Spiegler line before thinking this through. I mean, when I told my brother-in-law about my new steel line, he said I didn't need it and that my stock hoses were fine. My question is, would you guys recommend I install the steel line or should I keep my front stock hose as is.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #2

..Well I have two disc's on the front of my 02 Nomad...But that steel brake line sounds like it would look good..even if it's not "needed"...and you already have it !

Old 11-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Is it a stainless steel brake line or is it a braided stainless steel hose?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Advanced Member

It's a black coated stainless steel braided brake line

Old 11-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Since your bike is a 2004, the stock rubber brake line is probably nearing the end of it's life. Since you have the steel line already, go ahead and use it.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Since your bike is a 2004, the stock rubber brake line is probably nearing the end of it's life. Since you have the steel line already, go ahead and use it.
+1 use it.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 11-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #7

You can look around on different boards and see, generally, what other riders think. Not knowing me from Adam, it's my opinion, and most other riders, that stainless braided is noticeably better than non-stainless stock lines every time. Usually the case is that over time you can pull the brake lever in to touching or near touching the throttle and bleeding doesn't make it better. You can tie the brake lever back overnight and the first few stops of the day will be rock solid, then the lever will get progressively more 'mushy'. I think this is a factor of the stock line expanding under pressure where a SS line won't, not even a little bit. So you get that rock solid, 2-finger braking which is why folks go to stainless. I had a Bonneville America that had suck front brakes from new that was only resolved with SS braided lines, it's a 'known issue' in that community. Your brakes may feel fine, but I would hazard they will feel better with stainless (or even new stock lines, but you have the SS). My 09 Nomad brakes are fine but I have a set of SS braided lines (I got because they were on sale) waiting to go on some weekend when I get motivated. I don't know that I'd put much stock in someone's opinion who doesn't know the basic virtue of SS braided brake lines. It's pretty common knowledge.

It's not a high-end task to change the brake line, but you do have to have some basic technical competence (not to knock you, just sayin). I'd put it at a good task for a novice do-it-yourselfer. But much more critical than making it go, is making it stop. You don't have to be comfortable with doing it if it's first time, but you have to be damn sure it's right before you go test riding.

Last edited by jjg3; 11-14-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #8

I'd use the SS braided line if you have it, you will notice a much more positive brake feel in the lever. Whenever I will replace my oem lines I'll be sure to use the braided ones.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 11-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
Advanced Member

You got it, use it.

Web Slinger's Speedo face, Chuckster's Air Kit, Jay's LED Tail light, dshelly's throttle mod, Kuryakan Deep Bezel lens, Headlight Modulator, Kuryakan Run/Brake/Turn, DWG 2" speakers and amp, Stebel Air Horn

Fire & Iron, Red Knights, ROK, VBA, VRA, VROC, IAFF

Old 11-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #10

Two or three years ago, I swapped out all my lines for the braided SS lines, and while I didn't notice any difference in the clutch, there was a drastic difference in braking. The first time I tried to come to a stop, I locked both wheels up. I used my normal pressure. There is that much of a difference in the 2 lines.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381