Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #1

hyper charger

does anyone know for certian if caddmans mod, or his mod with chucksters new plate has the same performance boost as say the hypercharger? I know it's probally best bang for the buck, but if $$$ wasn't a concern, does one actually out perform others?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-17-2009, 11:18 PM   #2

hyper charger

I am sure someone will have a more technical view of this, but here is my take.

Comparing the Caddmann to the commercial offerings (never had the Hypercharger or other kits like the Barons Big Air Kit) all you are really doing is opening up the air flow to the engine. The stock configuration makes it cross over from the left (warming up on the way, around corners, etc) to get into the engine. With the Caddmann mod it opens up a more direct flow for more and colder (relatively) air to get into the engine.

With Chucksters plate, the 7" (or 9" that someone ordered to use with the Caddmann filters and covers), will allow a more unrestricted flow compared to the stock backing plate. This may make a small difference in the performance of the intake, but not sure how much it would be noticed.

What the Hypercharger adds IMO is the fancy or refined intake and the little doors that open and close on the front, I do not think the overall performance of the Hypercharger will be considerably (or any) better IMHO.

Take a look at the Baron's Big Air Kit, it is essentially a Caddmann mod IMO and it has very comparable performance to the Hypercharger from tests I have seen.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 03-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
Advanced Member

hyper charger

As strobe has said, the whole point to an air kit is to add more air to the mix to produce more power. When we made our air kits, the holes in the throttle body plate the went on my Ruby, got machined just a teensy, wee bit bigger (not by accident, I did it on purpose) and Ruby has a bit more gitty up than Brian's Nad. I'm only talking about 2 thou bigger so it's not anything you can see with the naked eye, but even that small amount of difference can make a difference in power.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:04 AM   #4

hyper charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobe
I am sure someone will have a more technical view of this, but here is my take.

Comparing the Caddmann to the commercial offerings (never had the Hypercharger or other kits like the Barons Big Air Kit) all you are really doing is opening up the air flow to the engine. The stock configuration makes it cross over from the left (warming up on the way, around corners, etc) to get into the engine. With the Caddmann mod it opens up a more direct flow for more and colder (relatively) air to get into the engine.

With Chucksters plate, the 7" (or 9" that someone ordered to use with the Caddmann filters and covers), will allow a more unrestricted flow compared to the stock backing plate. This may make a small difference in the performance of the intake, but not sure how much it would be noticed.

What the Hypercharger adds IMO is the fancy or refined intake and the little doors that open and close on the front, I do not think the overall performance of the Hypercharger will be considerably (or any) better IMHO.

Take a look at the Baron's Big Air Kit, it is essentially a Caddmann mod IMO and it has very comparable performance to the Hypercharger from tests I have seen.
Well put....and IMO hypercharger is more potential problem than its worth. Friends that have installed them had problems keeping the little doors opening all the way or just partway. Plus they stick out so far. One of my Harley buds leg got so hot from being up against it, removed and sold it for half price .

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 03-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
Top Contributor

hyper charger

A fella could just grill some weiners on his way to Custer you know. When life throws you lemons make lemonade. Glad i over come my bug for a hyperchg, all hype. LOL

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #6

hyper charger

I know I wanted one when I first saw them. Then I saw one on a bike and then wanted one even more, then I sat on the bike and did not like how far it sticks out, affecting the comfort I had on the bike. For me, I will not sacrifice comfort for longer rides for the 'look'.

The doors are very cool, but like dkdixie said can be a problem, and I do not want to add problems to the bike....

+1 on the hype, all hype, and they charge a fortune for the thing IMO.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 03-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

hyper charger

Pretty much the best flow can be had by any canister holding a K&N air filter.
7"/ 9" with a filter like the above is the best you can do.

The Caddman was made for those who thought they might need or want to go back to dead nuts stock, and do it as cheap as possible. There is simply no cheaper way.

Most any other intake set up will stick out from the bike more than stock, and or the Caddman.

You can go with a right side only Caddman, and many other things that cost more.

Since the hyper charger has no impellors and or anything thing else to pack more air in, it isn't in any sence a real charger of any kind, other than is will charge your credit card about 200 bucks.

The flappers are exactly that flappers.

A spring holds the flappers open when there is no engine vacuum, like when the engine is off, and or a wide open throttle.

Any time either of these 2 conditions are not met, the flappers are fluttering depending on vacuum pluses. The more rpm the less vacuum.

Now I have no idea why anyone would want the flappers to be breaking up the air flow, but there are those who want the bling...

I like the looks myself, but would fix the flapper to work all by hand. Open them to ride and close them to keep bugs out when I am parked.

If anything the flappers just break up a stream lined air flow, and therefore are total bling, and total hype, but no charge can be found other your credit card..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #8
Advanced Member

hyper charger

I have one on mine and love it. As for the part of it sticking out to far and it does I shimed the whole floorboard out a 1/2 in and now its not in the way at all. And yes the doors on it only worked for about 2 months so all I did was dissconnect them from the diaphram and used appoxy to hold them open works like a champ and I love the way they look the bigger the better IMO. As for a difference in power I really dont think it makes a difference what you have on as long as it opens the intake up to allow more air. So it just comes down to what you think looks good and how much $$$$$ ya wanna spend.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #9
Top Contributor

hyper charger

Amen brother!

Old 03-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #10

hyper charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirello
So it just comes down to what you think looks good and how much $$$$$ ya wanna spend.
Did not want to offend anyone with my previous comments, everyone likes different things, that is the great thing about this site!

I agree completely. I still like the look (and on your black bike it really looks awesome I think), and everyone is different as to what they want the bike to look like and function for. Lots of people likely think I am crazy for what have spent and am spending on the Tour Pak and fairing, just depends on how important that item is to you to determine it's true value. I would never criticize a person for adding something that I personally may not, it is their bike and their money, if they are happy with it, really that is all that matters.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 03-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

hyper charger

I hope I didn't get out of line, I think they look cool too. But there is no mechanical advantage over anything else and that is my only point.

A turbo charger and a super charger have mechanical means to pack in a heck of a lot more air.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it