Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 04-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #31

Who camps on road trips?

When I was a kid my family camped all over the USA. Coast to coast and border to border. Did a lot more when I was in college. I did some more when my children were younger, and even into my 40's.

Nowadays, I'm not that fond of camping. Too spoiled by the good life.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #32

Who camps on road trips?

I am looking forward to camping this summer. We've been "Roughing it at the Holiday Inn" for the past ten years and it is just getting too expensive anymore. Already have two goo trips planned and am looking at three or four short weekends in the local area.

Purchased a lightly used Bunkhouse last fall and am amazed as the space in it. It came with the large "den" and that really gives extra room.

Our "new" Bunkhouse camper.

Basic set up.

With the "Den" attached. Even has an opening for an air conditioner on the side. Just might have to get a small one. There are some luxuries that one just "needs."

Old 04-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #33

Who camps on road trips?

Big John, I have a Bunkhouse too. Haven't had it out yet. Mine is a '97 or '98, so no AC opening. I'll get a battery operated fan or something like that.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 04-15-2008, 11:19 PM   #34

Who camps on road trips?

conch - Ours is a 2000. Got it from a guy in Sacramento. Haven't had it out yet, either. Pulled it home from Sacramento behind the Subaru last Thanksgiving. Miserable weather, rain most of the trip. Spent the night in Medford.

As we left Medford we found ice on the freeway. That little trailer just followed us like an obedient puppy dog and never wavered. Saw over thirty cars and trucks spun out or jack knifed between Medford and Salem. Ugly.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:05 PM   #35

Who camps on road trips?

First camping trip of '08. Headed to Blue Ridge Parkway this past weekend and weather was a perfect 75 degrees. Rode all day and didn't get to campground until 5:30 and it was 'packed'..and get this, there were 35-40 sport tourers (BMW's, Ducatti's, Yamaha's, etc.) except for two Goldwings and my sweet Nomad. I think I had more leather in my hard bags than the camp combined. To my pleasant surprise, the BMW crowd was no different than any of the 'crusty cruisers' I have met. Lots of pizza, beer, whiskey, and wine (maybe more wine than normal), cigars, lies and laughter around the campfire until the wee hours. You just don't get that in a motel. Great weekend! Buck

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #36

Who camps on road trips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck

.... lies and laughter around the campfire until the wee hours. You just don't get that in a motel. Great weekend! Buck
I agree, one of my pleasant memories of camping on my bike was pulling into the campground at Zions National Park and finding it completely full. I got invited by a couple of BMW riders to put up my tent in their site. We sat around talking and looking at the atlas etc till late.

They were air traffic controllers here in Denver, now that I live here it would be good to find out who they are and go for a ride together.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #37

Who camps on road trips?

I'm drooling over that bunkhouse. Gonna get one when I have the cash. :)

Old 04-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #38
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Who camps on road trips?

Nico is going to be camping in the dumpsters in Mesquite this June!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #39
Mega-Contributor

Who camps on road trips?

When I was a teenager, my friends and I used to do a lot of backpacking in the Wasatch Mountains, east of Salt Lake City. You know, the whole "earth" movement back in the 70's? All ultralight gear, that sort of thing. One of my favorite memories was being up on top of a 8200' mountain between 2 peaks, overlooking the Salt Lake Valley. At night, the lights seemed to go on forever.

I might give motorcycle camping a try. maybe just sleeping at a campground. I'd probably still buy my meals at a cafe. Hey, I'm not Bear Grylls, eating c**kroaches and earthworms.

Maybe I should have said cucarachas?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-22-2008, 09:22 PM   #40

Who camps on road trips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan
Quote:
I usually take camp gear with me and camp when it hits me! But I don't do it anymore with out my air mattress! That darn cold ground makes me feel like I am 51 yrs old or something!
If I don't stay at a campground with showers avalible, I'll stop at truck stop to shower later.
I enjoy camping when I can but when its raining I am looking for something fun to do!
I am 60 years old and when I camp I wake up feeling like a 24 year old......................Thats been ran over by two semi-trucks, an amtrak freight train and a john deere tractor. Like someone else said, give me a Holiday Inn next to some trees.
With the windows open.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #41

Who camps on road trips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Nico is going to be camping in the dumpsters in Mesquite this June!!!
Hey,BD. Ya think gay people like camping ::) ? They probably like rubbing their sticks together to keep warm. Ya think ?

Old 04-22-2008, 11:34 PM   #42
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Who camps on road trips?

Yea, I think Nico's rubbed his stick with many a gay man... I hear his nickname is "sparky"

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-23-2008, 04:59 AM   #43

Who camps on road trips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
When I was a teenager, my friends and I used to do a lot of backpacking in the Wasatch Mountains, east of Salt Lake City. You know, the whole "earth" movement back in the 70's? All ultralight gear, that sort of thing. One of my favorite memories was being up on top of a 8200' mountain between 2 peaks, overlooking the Salt Lake Valley. At night, the lights seemed to go on forever.

I might give motorcycle camping a try. maybe just sleeping at a campground. I'd probably still buy my meals at a cafe. Hey, I'm not Bear Grylls, eating c**kroaches and earthworms.

I eat out when I camp too. For me motorcycle camping is just a more adventurous way to sleep. I don't carry all that you'd need to fix your own meals. I carry a tent and sleeping gear.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #44
Mega-Contributor

Who camps on road trips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack

I eat out when I camp too. For me motorcycle camping is just a more adventurous way to sleep. I don't carry all that you'd need to fix your own meals. I carry a tent and sleeping gear.
Personally, I feel that eating out when camping, I'm talking a decent meal, not an egg Mcsomething and a plastic cup of orange juice, offsets the "animal" feeling you get from field hygeine and wearing the same clothes for 3 days.

Which brings back a memory of field hygeine. While in infantry training school at Camp Pendleton, we would leave our nice luxurious barracks on a Monday morning and march for several days, going from one outdoor classroom to another. This one morning, they made sure we all shaved (dry shave, mind you) before we broke camp. Next stop was the gas chamber. I'm sure some of you here know the feeling of CS gas on moist or irritated skin. Yeah, some memory. It felt like your skin was being pulled off.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #45

Who camps on road trips?

My bear/camping story. Two summers ago I was camping/fishing/hiking in Alaska and decided to take an impromptu hike while I had an 8 hour wait to ketch the ferry out of Petersburg. On the hike, about 5 miles in, I spotted a bear on the trail before she spotted me. Knowing you definately don't want to surprise them, I retreated a couple hundreds back down the trail out of sight. I didn't have my handgun, and to retreat back meant another 5 miles, so I took out my trusty knife and starting banging the metal blade against an aluminum can I was carrying. The assumption was she would hear the noise and retreat. It worked, sort of, she retreated behind a tree, out of sight and just as I got to the tree she came out, raised up on her hind legs and let out a mighty growl as if to say, get the h*ll out off my turf, then she climbed up the tree. I proceeded on up the trail, cleaned out my britches, and went on my way. Moral of the story is, be prepared, and I wasn't. Buck