Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-16-2008, 11:18 PM   #1

Brake Pads

Looking for any recommendations.

I'm fixing to put two new Pirelli Mt66's on it this winter and figure I'll do the swingarm, any other maintenance, and also do the brakes while I have it all apart.

It has 21k on it now.

My main question is in regards to the rotors. Should I have them turned, replace them, etc. There are still pads, no grooves or anything like that, so I'm thinking that I could check the thickness and install new pads, but wondering what others have done.

Thanks,
Mike

PS. I really think you guys should be checking out the Pirelli MT66's. They have really good reviews, really good prices at Motorcycle Superstore, and I have one on the rear that I like, now going with both.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-17-2008, 02:42 AM   #2

Brake Pads

I think I'm going to scuff mine up lightly, with fine sand paper and put the new shoes on, sorry pads I mean. When you pulled your axle did you see any coloration where the bearing race sits. On my right side bearing it kinda looked as if the whole bearing was at one time spinning around the axle. The axle is smooth and slick , the bearing is good and free. It just looks like it been a little warm. Just wondering if you noticed anything.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Brake Pads

I'd just replace the pads, and from everything I've read, keep it stock.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #4

Brake Pads

With 21k on the bike the rotors should still be like new, just scuff them up with fine sandpaper and they should be fine. I would go with stock pads if I was to do it again, I put EBC pads on the rear and I find them noisey compared to the originals, although many have had no problems with them.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 11-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #5

Brake Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhookman
I think I'm going to scuff mine up lightly, with fine sand paper and put the new shoes on, sorry pads I mean. When you pulled your axle did you see any coloration where the bearing race sits. On my right side bearing it kinda looked as if the whole bearing was at one time spinning around the axle. The axle is smooth and slick , the bearing is good and free. It just looks like it been a little warm. Just wondering if you noticed anything.
Haven't pulled it yet. I'm still riding (40 degrees here). Trying to get all the parts in and everything ready for working on it sometime in December. Tires are on the way with Dynabeads, need to check if I will need any parts for the swingarm job and get the pads ordered. I read the stock pads aren't noisy but EBC are, so I plan to get stock.

I'll let you know about the axle/bearing when I start the job.

Thanks for everyone's help/advice.

Mike

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Brake Pads

seems I heard somebody on here say they went in to get stock pads and they were EBC?

Old 11-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to nomad
Brake Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc (Lonewolf)
seems I heard somebody on here say they went in to get stock pads and they were EBC?
really? huh.....

Old 11-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #8

Brake Pads

I had heard the comment that EBC was "made like stock", but not that when you order stock you get EBC. Also heard that EBC was "noisy" and stock wasn't, but who knows. I'll let you know after I get them. I'll be ordering online, probably from Ron Ayers.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #9

Brake Pads

I've been running the EBC HH pads, and for the first 200 miles (until they got seated good) they would occasionally make a squeal, but haven't heard a peep out of them lately.
If your rotor isn't grooved, just sand the glaze of with fine sandpaper.
On the rear axle, the bearings don't ride on the axle. The axle goes through hardened sleeves, and the sleeves are what rides on the bearings. If you torque it down, the axle and the sleeves stay stationary, and the rollers of the bearings ride around the sleeve.
On the front axle, if its torqued down, the inner race stays stationary on the axle (held in place by the 2 spacers, one on each side), the outer race stays stationary in the wheel, and the ball bearings ride (spin) between the two stationary races.
Nothing should be spinning on the axles.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 11-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #10

Brake Pads

I'll look and see if i can find some sleeve in there some where and inspect them for damage. This is the first tire change so, I'm learning as I go, been years since I changed a cycle tire.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:15 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Brake Pads

I was quoted $81 (Canadian) for OEM rear brake pads. EBC were cheaper but I did not want them.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #12

Brake Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhookman
I'll look and see if i can find some sleeve in there some where and inspect them for damage. This is the first tire change so, I'm learning as I go, been years since I changed a cycle tire.
Sky, if your talking about the back, the sleeve may still be in the bearing for the swing arm pivot point. It usually stays there when you remove the axle and swing arm. You can push it out with your finger. With it out, you can see the "rollers" still mounted in the frame, one on each side. You also have a sleeve in the middle of the rear wheel, but it won't come out unless you remove one of the wheel bearings. When you torque everything down, the outside sleeves pivot on the bearings mounted in the frame (for the swing arm) and the 3 sleeves get compressed against the bottom races of the wheel bearings (one on each side of the wheel, and the one in the center. the bearings are on each side of the center sleeve)
On the front, you can see the sleeves/spacers with the tire and wheel mounted on the bike.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 11-20-2008, 08:14 AM   #13

Brake Pads

Ok, I see where you comeing from now. Thanks,