Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #16
Advanced Member

New Mods: Now fan runs more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota7557
Here's my concern, the bike seems to run hotter with these mods.
I am going to go in a different direction than the cooling system...lets make sure you are not running too lean. That will make a bike run hot. Blow it down the freeway for a bit until you come up to a rest stop. Pull in the clutch and hit the kill switch and coast into the rest area. Pull the plug and check the color..make sure it is a nice light brown/tan and not white.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #17
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik
Quote:
I am going to go in a different direction than the cooling system...lets make sure you are not running too lean. That will make a bike run hot. Blow it down the freeway for a bit until you come up to a rest stop. Pull in the clutch and hit the kill switch and coast into the rest area. Pull the plug and check the color..make sure it is a nice light brown/tan and not white.
. Running too lean is my guess also. Tonik has a good idea, give it a shot.
I have the TFI etc. and I hardly ever hear my fan come on. It has to be real hot outside and would have done a long ride before the fan comes on.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 04-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #18
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik
Quote:
I like the way you articulate the 'Snap Shot'.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #19

Mac, I put the switch in anti freeze and the meter went to zero resistance at 170 degrees...Does that mean I need a new switch? Thanks, Jody

Old 04-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #20

Kawasaki wants $94 for a new one...Wow, they must be made of gold...Waiting to hear from you Mac before I order a new one though, Thanks, Jody

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-29-2011, 09:06 PM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Good for you, you tested it, and found the problem. The switch is defective, and comes on too soon, probably goes off to late to I'ld bet, but the question is do you need a new one.

That is debatable, and depends on your wallet, the condition of the battery, and how much the fan running bugs you.

It also depends on you and your riding. I have known of people to run the fan manual.

It's pretty clear that moving over 30 MPH the fan never comes on, and in traffic it takes a few moments before it cycles.

On my bike the fan almost never comes on, and when it does it is normally after a hot ride on a hot day after I shut the engine down.

The danger of a kill switch is not turning it on because you forgot it in heavy traffic.

So that is something to consider.

If it were me I would either live with it or switch the switch, but that's me.

Gold? These days everything seems to be made of gold and the price changes happen very fast.

Last Saturday i was looking at cheap metal gun cabinets, What was 135 on Saturday was 179 on Monday, and since then even that has gone up to 229. For crap mild steel on a gym locker sort of gun cabinet, no safe.

All this is, is the dollar got weaker. Last week 1 troy ox of silver was 36.60, 2 days ago it was 48.85. At6 the 36.60 a paper dollar WAS worth 0.21 cents thats 2 cents and 1/10th

Looks like my gun cabinet won't be cheap or fast, but will be nice white pine I make it off, for far less.

Getting back to the switch it might go bad and run the fan all the time. Or it might go bad and quit altogther. My chrystal ball got dropped bad, and so i can't tell.

Oh, plain old water would have been fine and less messey. 212 is 212 in water, coolant or oil.

Only when a spec gives more than 212 do you need oil.

Last: what kind of thermometer is it you used? If it was a cheap junk candy thermo, maybe it's not so accurate as you think.

So I lied.... How much above sea level are you? If you are near to or past 7,000 that will make a difference.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 04-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #22

Thanks for the reply Mac...I live at approximately 2500 above sea level but head up to Custer and around the Black Hills often which is about 5280 feet above sea level...I'm looking around for a used one though...Thanks for the info, Jody

Old 04-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #23
Sr. Contributor

Used could be good. Test it in plain water though....... Grab the part number off it and run that number thru a NAPA or O Rielys what ever parts stores are local and see if it can me 'Cross Referanced' to some car..... There could be one which might take off a just under 212 or something, Anything around 197 degrees could work pretty well.

I still wonder about the type of therm you used. makin; sugar maple sugar, I use to use a 2 dollar candy thermo, but came on to 2 RTD which do digital read out to 1/10ths.

That gave me a few lessons in what is real temps and what a cheap thermo says, which are different things.

On most days does water boil at 212 there, or is it more like 209?

Never the less the switch is actting up. Does it come on as you ride at 30 MPH + ?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac